Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 12:20 AM

294 posts, read 659,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
In college, I was told that PNC was going to turn Pittsburgh into a finance hub. Obviously that didn't happen, despite the fact that PNC didn't get hit hard by the subprime crisis. Who wants to make 60K at PNC when I could make twice that at Goldman Sachs? The only growth I see in this city is in the medical field. And when all of the old people die, then what? Who do the surgeons operate on? Because certainly nobody's moving into the city.

Who wants to spend every weekend drinking Iron City beer while watching Steelers games? How many times can I see the Science Center? The Mattress Factory? Watch the Pirates lose? Go to the same club (there are not many!), listen to the same music, and dance with the same people as last time? Doesn't any of this get old after the 24th time? It seems like everyone is married at 27 because by then, there's nothing else to do!

LMFAO! Dude, we already understand that you think NYC > All. Why don't you compare NYC to Tokyo, London, or LA... you know comparably sized places. Then you can leave the rest of us, the other 95 percent of the world that lives in smaller cities than those mentioned above, alone.

You will never understand the perks to living in a smaller metro area because you grew up in NYC for god sakes, so just enjoy yourself where you are and we will do the same.

P.S. I guess you never heard of OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES... because Pitt due to its location has NYC beat in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 04:16 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Don't even get me started about clubs man...someone needs to tell these DJs that playing the Ultimate Dance Party 1997 soundtrack is ok once in a while, but not 32 weekends in a row.
That's funny...I usually DJ Sullivan Room in NYC once a year with my crew from Pittsburgh. Wonder how we keep getting those gigs considering how "behind" we are on music.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:19 PM

803 posts, read 2,969,899 times
One of the reasons people are starting to come here FROM outside areas, is specifically BECAUSE the pace of life here is slower and more sedate than bigger, more costly cities with the go-go nightlife and hustle & bustle all damned night....

Why don't local entrepreneurs with means just design a New York - or L.A.-style nightclub experience for people, then??

Oh yeah, that's right---- because the VAST majority of Yinzers would never darken their doorway....

The neighborhood pub rules, in the Steel City - - and I for one kinda' LIKE it that way!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:34 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,035 times
I am from Pittsburgh and I LOVE New York and Chicago...This getting drunk on Iron City and the over
done Steeler's thing is tired..every weekend...I think I can understand where NYC Analyst is coming from
but every place has its good and bad points..

Old 11-07-2009, 07:25 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I am from Pittsburgh and I LOVE New York and Chicago...This getting drunk on Iron City and the over
done Steeler's thing is tired..every weekend..
Agreed! All the activity around here is centered on drinking, smoking, drugs, sex, rock and roll, Steelers, Pitt Panthers, and Penguins.

Just kidding, but really sometimes it seems that way.

I still like Lancaster, PA the best! Good old Amish country!

Old 11-07-2009, 08:26 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
done Steeler's thing is tired..every weekend...
What could you do in NYC/Chicago that you couldn't in Pittsburgh. See a symphony? A movie? Go to a concert? A play? Go Dancing?

Yes there is less of this in Pittsburgh, but that doesn't mean it's nonexistent.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
I have held my tongue on this post, but will finally weigh in. It seems like simple whining. Yes, Pittburgh is no NYC, Chicago, or DC, but most folks don't spend their time whining about what does not exist for fun, they make their own. If this poster cannot find a good time, they should just go out and do it. Complaining that a midsized city is not a megalopolis seems like an immense waste of time. I live in a small town of 20,000 people (near a pretty boring town of 70,000), but I am never bored, and several of my 20 something employees find plenty to do in the area.

I think there is a unique form of arrogance among the young, and often urban, that there is some immensely cool form of recreation that they have invented that makes every thing else obsolete. Sure, smaller cities can get dull at times, but that is when to mix it up, IMO.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:41 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
I have held my tongue on this post, but will finally weigh in. It seems like simple whining. Yes, Pittburgh is no NYC, Chicago, or DC, but most folks don't spend their time whining about what does not exist for fun, they make their own. If this poster cannot find a good time, they should just go out and do it. Complaining that a midsized city is not a megalopolis seems like an immense waste of time. I live in a small town of 20,000 people (near a pretty boring town of 70,000), but I am never bored, and several of my 20 something employees find plenty to do in the area.

I think there is a unique form of arrogance among the young, and often urban, that there is some immensely cool form of recreation that they have invented that makes every thing else obsolete. Sure, smaller cities can get dull at times, but that is when to mix it up, IMO.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:05 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I love NYC, and I loved living there.

But, for NYAnalyst who wanted Pittsburgh to become the next financial hub. What would make Pittsburgh that great to have a bunch of financial analysts and other market-driven people running around on their cellphones telling people to buy and sell and so forth. What makes Pittsburgh a better city for having those kind of people? They just manipulate markets in an arbitrary way, without much other tangible benefits.

Having lived in NYC and having worked at Goldman Sachs creating presentations for financial analysts, and having read the mass majority of their speculations on international investments, the way they suck entire money out of countries/nations, and toss money towards or away entire industries on pure speculation, manipulating money here and there, etc.

I don't know...I think it is more interesting having biotech and healthcare and green technology people around...I mean, if we are talking about major industry types of people around and such.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:20 AM

784 posts, read 2,729,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
What could you do in NYC/Chicago that you couldn't in Pittsburgh. See a symphony? A movie? Go to a concert? A play? Go Dancing?

Yes there is less of this in Pittsburgh, but that doesn't mean it's nonexistent.
How about the ability to choose from 10 different restaurants within a 5 block radius at 2:30AM for dinner? Go to Clubs / bars that don't close at 2AM? Public transportation that runs after 1AM? Buy beer at supermarkets, and buy liquor after 9PM?

I never wanted Pittsburgh to become the next financial hub. PNC wanted this to happen, but failed miserably. If not finance, what is there?

The thing with bigger cities is that yes, you have your museums and concerts, and Pittsburgh has those too, but there is a much bigger variety to choose from in larger cities. Culture wise, that is a bigger draw when it comes to attracting younger people to work there.

What is there for young people in Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh has actually been one of the few metro areas to LOSE population in recent years. Are people moving out, is nobody moving in and old people are dying, or both? How is Pittsburgh going to attract young people? Whatever it is that Pittsburgh has (whether it be schools, or outdoor activities, or whatever), I'm sure there is another city - doesn't have to be NYC/Chicago - that has that, and more.

There needs to be something done within the next 10-30 years, otherwise it will turn into a college town, similar to University Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh