Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM

420 posts, read 479,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhomespgh View Post
This whole thread seems to be about music but the title is "Pittsburgh has nothing to offer people aged 18-45." Maybe it doesn't have anything to offer some people aged 18-45 but there are a lot of people that really don't care about the electronic dance club scene and not having that is not the downfall of a whole city.

Here is what Pittsburgh does have... a great outdoor scene with lots of great road and mountain biking and skiing in the winter. A great arts scene with museums and public art and gallery crawls. A great family scene (since many of us aged 18-45 have kids) with nice parks and playgrounds and zoos and the Science Center. A great sports scene with great teams and a nice summer ballpark. A great cost of living with real estate that is affordable without the six figure salary. A great education community with lots of innovation and good universities.

I am sure there are more but my point is that Pittsburgh has lots to offer 18-45 years olds, just not every single one of them.
Sounds kinda nerdy and geeked out. I like Pitt though. Steelers are cool. Always wondered about all the bridges there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM

129 posts, read 408,337 times
Quote:
I am sure there are more but my point is that Pittsburgh has lots to offer 18-45 years olds, just not every single one of them.
Good post. And as we well know from these boards, some people just CANNOT be pleased!

18-45 is a huge cross section of people with varying interest. I'm 29, married and expecting my first child. My husband and I have absolutely zero interest in going to a club of any sort. Once I reached about 24, I avoided any club scene unless it was a bachelorette party or something.

And it seems that this thread would be more appropriately titled "bemoaning the lack of an electronica scene in Pittsburgh"

There are tons of things to do in Pittsburgh for people of all ages (and btw, 18-45 is a pretty big chunk of the population! These people do not sit at home all day.) We have a fantastic cultural and arts scene for our sized city. There are tons of neighborhoods to explore, great places to dine.

Just because you haven't found your place yet doesn't mean that the city has zero to do. If the city is lacking something, instead of complaining- do something about it! And if you look hard enough, you'll probably find what you're looking for already in existence. Pittsburgh has a lot of well kept secrets.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
To his or her credit, the OP did write above:

Quote:
Now at this point in my thread, I seriously have to apologize for the horribly misleading title of this thread seeing how the direction it went.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 PM

44 posts, read 151,130 times
I understand what you're saying.

I have lived here on and off for years, and have found that Pittsburgh really goes in waves. It will stagnate for years, then BOOM! Suddenly there are new clubs and activities exploding. I have first hand experience in the Pittsburgh nightlife. There were times that it surprised me how exciting it was, and I do have plenty to compare it to.

I don't really understand why, but the past few years have been rather a bore.

I'm hoping it will soon change, like the tide coming in and out.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:24 AM

295 posts, read 667,825 times
I do wish we had a younger scene here, but what to do? Move?

Old 08-21-2009, 01:08 PM

67 posts, read 158,124 times
Quote:
This whole thread seems to be about music but the title is "Pittsburgh has nothing to offer people aged 18-45." Maybe it doesn't have anything to offer some people aged 18-45 but there are a lot of people that really don't care about the electronic dance club scene and not having that is not the downfall of a whole city.

Here is what Pittsburgh does have... a great outdoor scene with lots of great road and mountain biking and skiing in the winter. A great arts scene with museums and public art and gallery crawls. A great family scene (since many of us aged 18-45 have kids) with nice parks and playgrounds and zoos and the Science Center. A great sports scene with great teams and a nice summer ballpark. A great cost of living with real estate that is affordable without the six figure salary. A great education community with lots of innovation and good universities.

Just more of a reason to leave for me....what about young professionals that aren't in the law, financial/banking/, or medicinal fields? Not everybody has the resources to support a family in between with school loans and living expenses...let alone the desire to even start a family depending on situation to situation. I've already finished college and was looking to settle myself down here, and now I want to leave.

Not alot of people my age have the desire to have families either...most of them are still trying to live from paycheck to paycheck and figure out what they want to do with themselves. Personally, i'm trying to save up money in the next five to ten years.

and those three professions that i mentioned, while they might be burgeoning with their own opportunities from their stature, they don't represent a great amount of the real brimming and cutting edge industries that most people 22-30 something are QUALIFIED to get into! (Qualified= Only a certain amount of the general population can perform these tasks)

Not everyone can go into medicine because of the the costs of schools, tenure, the stress of being a doctor etc (my pops is a doctor so I've observed what it was like to work in that envrionment).

Not everyone can go into banking/finance because of the same reasons I've stated above in respect to the cost of school and time it takes to get out with a degree.

Therefore, out of these three strong industries, they truly compose a mere 15% (or something like that)of who is actually qualified to get into.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddietrich View Post
Good post. And as we well know from these boards, some people just CANNOT be pleased!

18-45 is a huge cross section of people with varying interest. I'm 29, married and expecting my first child. My husband and I have absolutely zero interest in going to a club of any sort. Once I reached about 24, I avoided any club scene unless it was a bachelorette party or something.

And it seems that this thread would be more appropriately titled "bemoaning the lack of an electronica scene in Pittsburgh"

There are tons of things to do in Pittsburgh for people of all ages (and btw, 18-45 is a pretty big chunk of the population! These people do not sit at home all day.) We have a fantastic cultural and arts scene for our sized city. There are tons of neighborhoods to explore, great places to dine.

Just because you haven't found your place yet doesn't mean that the city has zero to do. If the city is lacking something, instead of complaining- do something about it! And if you look hard enough, you'll probably find what you're looking for already in existence. Pittsburgh has a lot of well kept secrets.

I've been involved with Pittsburgh nightlife since 1999...and i've watched it fall to a certain point where now my own tastes have evolved and it's not represented in Pittsburgh anymore.

going out for me is constantly being dissapointed that my hometown doesn't have the flavor and diversity of other cities, zest, innovation in the fields i care about, and just a general disinterest in the city in general. Plus with the job i've worked at, I've seen alot of areas of the city that are just unpleasant. I had fun here when I was younger, now, I'm just bored.

so that advice in the bolded is very wishy washy IMO. I'm not drawn to anything entertainment wise that comes to Pittsburgh.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
I do wish we had a younger scene here, but what to do? Move?

pittsburgh will still be here....move out while you're young, and come back when you're older...lol!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:05 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
I had a great time in this town until I turned 18, and it sucked until I was 46.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:22 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Is this just a venting board? Or are you really looking for advice? Move to Austin or Seattle or some other overrated hype town. You'll be sick of clubs by the time you're 30.

Best thread ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh