Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 PM

645 posts, read 1,539,810 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Nice to have found this site, and to become a member. I moved far from Beaver county over 20 years ago to attend college, never came back (military service), but as another said it seems the Salmon gene is calling my family back to the area, and that brings me to my question about PNC financial.

My wife got a call from them to pursue a very possible interview, and I was interested in what you folks who work there at a professional feel about PNC, the culture, benefits, work conditions, commute in and out of the city, anything you might want to add....

I have read some very nice comments about the work environment at PNC, and would really like to hear the real scoop from real PNC folks. I have not been back to the area much since I left, so please feel free to talk at length, as I am sure the city has changed a lot since I left.

If curious as to why I want myself and family to return is simple... The people. I can't tell you how much I miss generally kind, polite people who seem genuinely friendly, and go out of there way to be helpful and neighborly. I want my daughter to be in an area that feels more down to earth, grounded, and real, plus I miss the food. I hope Pittsburgh still has a lot of this going for it today.

Thanks a lot for the help, and your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 09:05 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Quote:
If curious as to why I want myself and family to return is simple... The people. I can't tell you how much I miss generally kind, polite people who seem genuinely friendly, and go out of there way to be helpful and neighborly. I want my daughter to be in an area that feels more down to earth, grounded, and real, plus I miss the food. I hope Pittsburgh still has a lot of this going for it today.
Absolutely!! And you can be confidant your daughter will have available to her some of the finest schooling from K to University Graduation. I can't tell you about PNC employment but I can tell you that I personally use PNC bank and get all my school loans through them and that it has been nothing but a pleasurable experience. If you guys come back for a visit, let me know, I would be more than happy to take you guys around and show you everything you've missed in 20 years!!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:08 PM

OH OH I can tell you another thing about PNC! They are building a brand new skyscraper downtown and it will be one of the most advanced "green" buildings ever built! Maybe your wife will have the pleasure of working there!

Here is a link!

http://www.popcitymedia.com/developmentnews/pncplaza.aspx (broken link)

Old 04-24-2007, 10:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
My background is in finance so I'm very familiar with the atmosphere at all of Pittsburgh's financial institutions. PNC is a very nice company for employees. Mellon is cut throat and very political. Citizens is overly policy driven to the point of being madening with submitting it's employees to a time clock mentality. Federated is freaky with outdated dress code and all. Don't get me wrong, all employers mentioned provide excellent career growth---when they're not cutting back and creating recessions like every other corporation in the United States. They just all have their own business approach.

PNC focuses on providing the best environment for it's employees----all of it's employees, not just the elite few. Even the new building boylocke mentioned was designed with providing the employee with the best possible environment. The benefits are top notch. And the overall atmosphere is more laid back compared to other banking institutions in Pittsburgh.

That's the way it was when I worked for PNC in the early 80s, and that's what I still hear it's like from co-workers who went to PNC after mass layoffs at another financial institution where I was employeed prior to becoming a stay-at-home mother. My sister went to a different institution and has heard the same things from employees who have left there for PNC too. Honestly, if I ever decide to go back into the financial banking rat race (highly unlikely---been there, done that), I'd pick PNC. There's just no contest.

Read here for why PNC receives national recognition for being a top employer for working mothers: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/micro_stories.pl?ACCT=701257&TICK=PNC&STORY=/www/story/09-23-2003/0002022556&EDATE=Sep+23,+2003 (broken link)

Pittsburgh's rush hour traffic isn't bad compared to other cities in the country. You can live in the suburbs and be into downtown within 30 minutes---during high rush hour traffic. Some areas will have you in town within 20 minutes if you hit the right hole in the traffic and live relatively close to a highway ramp.

What part of country do you live right now?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:58 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Kretchmars doughnuts.... Buzzi's pizza.... Jerry's Fried mushrooms.....

mmmmmmm......

We miss the food too....

Old 04-25-2007, 01:53 AM

75 posts, read 94,276 times
Quote:
We miss the food too....
You really like the food in Pittsburgh better? To me there is so much more selection in CA, but I suppose I'd think different if I was raised around the food here.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaily View Post
You really like the food in Pittsburgh better? To me there is so much more selection in CA......
That's the kind of thing my girlfriend would say that made her come to the realization that she was a California snob.

She's really going to enjoy reading your post. She has an In-N-Out Burger bumper sticker!

Almost everyone is a hometown snob! My girlfiend was wise to realize it about herself!

She has lived throughout the country. It doesn't matter where she lives, nothing else compares to CA.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:48 AM

75 posts, read 94,276 times
Quote:
She has an In-N-Out Burger bumper sticker!
Well, thats good for her. Its not In-N-Out that I miss though. Its good Thai food, its good Chinese food, its good Mexican food etc. Pittsburgh lacks
variety in foods, if you like the limited selection of foods in Pittsburgh cool, it works out. But it doesn't work for everyone, no biggie.

Anyhow, I was mainly just curious if she liked the food in Pittsburgh better.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:05 AM

645 posts, read 1,539,810 times
Thank you everyone, and please continue.

Wow, food seems to be a hot button topic, as it should. I have lived in most parts of the country and overseas, and between myself and wife have traveled Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and have found great and terrible food almost everywhere. I guess I'm nostalgic, and simply miss asking for a pound of chipped chop, and having the clerk know what the heck I mean.

I do enjoy healthy eating, but must admit I greatly miss hand packed Isaly's ice cream, all things from Jerry's, Luger baloney, a Quip steak salad, New Brighton hot dog shop fare.... Not to mention the great Italian, Jewish, and eastern European food I enjoyed as a kid. Living now in the Midwest (south of Indianapolis), I know a lot of folks who find a little garlic too "spicy", and have never seen or eaten such terrible, bland, and uninspired food.

Again thank's, and appreciate any further thoughts about working at PNC.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 AM

Jay_F I know this might hold no water with you but Hopes did such a great job giving you a run down on the financial establishments in Pittsburgh I wanted to mention one more that I also bank with and REALLY like - even as much as PNC. That is National City, maybe Hopes has some info on them, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh