Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 07:53 AM

373 posts, read 378,128 times

Advertisements

^ to be fair, you don't go to Vincent's unless you want to eat a grease ball. And it's the best grease ball ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 08:09 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
It used to be Napoli, in the corner of the same plaza that has the Mad Mex.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Stay away from Vincent's....only pizza that literally made me ill....that sh*t is full of nothing but grease and hype.
I can't agree with this. Vincent's is a very unique pizza that thrives on toppings. When Vincent was alive, it was one of the best if not the best pizza places in Pittsburgh and was voted number one many times. It was sort of burnt and crusty with great sausage and tons of pepperoni. There was indeed a puddle of grease on this pizza, but many people loved it and dipped the crust in the puddle.

I have been told by someone that used to go there many years ago that Vincent's is good again. Last time I went it was a little undercooked for me, but I think I may give it a try at some point. If you don't like grease, you aren't going to enjoy Vincent's. Even if you get the famed onion and green pepper pizza. It was always a little watery, but still good.

It certainly wasn't hype. There was a line out the door on Friday and Saturday nights. It was just packed. He opened at 5:00PM, no delivery and there was so many takeouts that he didn't use boxes, he used a piece of cardboard and paper. Boxes would have taken up too much room because of the amount of pizzas made every night. There was dough all over the place and he was slinging pizza like crazy. Just flour and stuff flying everywhere. You would see out of state plates in the parking lot and all kinds of different people from the Mercedes driver, to the rusted out pickup driver. The place was a dump, but it was slammed with people. I don't think we will ever see such a thing again. People are more lazy now and can't eat like that anymore. Everyone sitting around on computers/smartphones, we have to eat like birds now. Unless of course you ride a bike all over the place all the time.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM

831 posts, read 878,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I can't agree with this. Vincent's is a very unique pizza that thrives on toppings. When Vincent was alive, it was one of the best if not the best pizza places in Pittsburgh and was voted number one many times. It was sort of burnt and crusty with great sausage and tons of pepperoni. There was indeed a puddle of grease on this pizza, but many people loved it and dipped the crust in the puddle.

I have been told by someone that used to go there many years ago that Vincent's is good again. Last time I went it was a little undercooked for me, but I think I may give it a try at some point. If you don't like grease, you aren't going to enjoy Vincent's. Even if you get the famed onion and green pepper pizza. It was always a little watery, but still good.

It certainly wasn't hype. There was a line out the door on Friday and Saturday nights. It was just packed. He opened at 5:00PM, no delivery and there was so many takeouts that he didn't use boxes, he used a piece of cardboard and paper. Boxes would have taken up too much room because of the amount of pizzas made every night. There was dough all over the place and he was slinging pizza like crazy. Just flour and stuff flying everywhere. You would see out of state plates in the parking lot and all kinds of different people from the Mercedes driver, to the rusted out pickup driver. The place was a dump, but it was slammed with people. I don't think we will ever see such a thing again. People are more lazy now and can't eat like that anymore. Everyone sitting around on computers/smartphones, we have to eat like birds now. Unless of course you ride a bike all over the place all the time.
Ha, you can disagree re: the hype I suppose, but the fact that it's full of grease and literally made me ill is not debatable!

Old 06-03-2015, 10:36 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
gg, You nailed it !

Old 06-03-2015, 02:23 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

I agree. The only thing I will add is there may have also been some cigarette ashes sprinkled in the pizza back in the day.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree. The only thing I will add is there may have also been some cigarette ashes sprinkled in the pizza back in the day.
You beat me to it. I remember picking up a pie years ago and talking with Vince while he made one. Cigarette hanging out of his mouth, ashes dropping off, what a great place.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:15 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
I went to Vincents recently since his daughter took it over, it was clean, renovated and the pizza tasted like I remember it. I could not have been more pleased.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I went to Vincents recently since his daughter took it over, it was clean, renovated and the pizza tasted like I remember it. I could not have been more pleased.
She has a lot of nerve cleaning that dump up. And no doubt smoking while making a pizza violates about 1000 health department rules. Ah, the good old days.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:14 AM

831 posts, read 878,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
See, this is where I think it's all hype. I've heard this about the pizza for years ..."It's great, it even has cigarette ashes in it..." Honestly, who likes that? I really think that people like it because it's "cool" ,or "retro", or "real" or whatever to like it. Let me ask you this.....do people put cigarette ashes on their pizzas when they make it at home? Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh