Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:14 AM

6 posts, read 21,989 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much! State College may be a good fit.
Is Indiana pa influenced as much by the university?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:43 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Indiana PA pretty much IS the University....

Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
It seems as if you are going to have to give a little on the hour from Pittsburgh. Basically, I think you have to look at town that is home to a larger school, say State College or Athens, OH, to get the "culture" that you want. I am guessing that your ideal town is like Athens, GA home of the University of Georgia, or Charlottesville, VA home of UVA. If you want to live in PA then I think State College is your only choice. The other towns mentioned are just too small to have the diversity and cultural amenities that you desire.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I'm from Ohio originally, and I'm having a hard time thinking of PA towns that would compare to Athens, Oxford (Miami University), Gambier (Kenyon), or Yellow Springs (Antioch).

Old 08-14-2009, 09:01 AM

119 posts, read 460,195 times
Lewisburg PA, home of Bucknell University may be one of your best bets in PA, but it's a good 3.5 hours east of Pittsburgh.

Not that much to choose from in Western PA.

Usually a good source for finding out how politically progressive a community is would be to talk to a local Unitarian Universalist Church. Often times they're at the forefront of progressive causes in smaller communities.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:33 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
The basic problem is that Western PA's biggest traditional college town is actually the East End section of Pittsburgh. I grew up in the Detroit area, and spent a lot of time in Ann Arbor (home of the University of Michigan), and it is really like Ann Arbor was just packed into the City of Pittsburgh instead of being an hour's drive away. You could do the same thing imagining Madison being inside Milwaukee, Boulder being inside Denver, or so on.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
It doesn't look like it has to be IN Pennsylvania, so it sounds like Morgantown might be your best bet. If you can get a little further away, I've heard State College is one of the best college towns in the country, but I haven't been there yet.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:14 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemistpa View Post
Hi-
I am trying to find a somewhat liberal college town that has a small town feel within an hour or two drive from pittsburgh- the closer to pittsburgh the better. I am looking for good school districts, some vegetarian places, walk to yoga, post office, the local pizza joint etc... The less driving the better! Oh- and I am looking for an affordable area!. Does this kind of place exist, or am I just dreaming? I have a five year old and want her to be exposed to different cultures and religions.....
Please help!~

There is only one New England in the US. Small towns tend to be conservative outside of New England or the NorthEast. I am sorry, State College is not liberal. Pittsburgh's East end, home of several universities, is much more liberal than State College because it is a byproduct of a big city and all that it has to offer other than frat parties and football on weekends.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:28 PM

66 posts, read 226,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

I was born and raised in Washington,PA and I don't think it's what you're looking for. It doesn't really have a small town feel and lacks diversity. And from my experiences people there can be pretty small minded.....glad to have escaped the place myself.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 PM

6 posts, read 21,989 times
Thanks so much for the input! I know that finding a Berkley in western pa is impossible. Currently I am in Irwin, Pa- so I would be happy to find an area with the "town" feel that has a at least "some" liberally minded people, yoga place to walk to, a farmers market now and then and a decent university. Small towns have always oozed this really great sense of community for me. I hate to quote John c. melloncamp- but "i can breathe in a small town"!

State college and morgantown look pretty appealing- like I said- may not be berkley... but a giant leap from where I am.... a little less of the "N" word would be fabulous!

Does anyone know if Indiana PA has neighborhoods... like family'ish neighborhoods within walking distance of downtown... or is it pretty much ALL occupied by students? I went to undergrad in Carbondale IL... which I loved- but it was COMPLETELY saturated by the students. Families didn't seem to live too close....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh