Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times

Advertisements

cranberry is the hottest area of the state/ I heard it was the york area, mind you, it's small so a 10k increase is big, whereas is barely registers in the pittsburgh, let alone Philly regions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes
I have to say, I just got back from a few weeks in NYC.

There's something to be said for being able to walk everywhere, having stores, restaurants, entertainment all around.
I worked out of NYC for only a week but it was long enough I finally understood why people like it as a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 05:11 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have to say, I just got back from a few weeks in NYC.

There's something to be said for being able to walk everywhere, having stores, restaurants, entertainment all around.

I'm a suburban girl, but I think I could get used to city living in a city where there's action.
I was the same way when my Job moved me to NY....The 1st year I had an absolute ball of a time, and really lived up the city Carrie Bradshaw style.....

But around my 3rd year of living here, and I was starting to feel kinda burned out on NY, I was getting tired of Crowds everywhere I went, 2500 people walking right outside my door, the insanely high rent you have to pay.....

Trust me Hopes you have the same reaction that all visitors do....But give it 3 years of Living here and that will tell you if you're really made for NY...

Unless you make 6 figures a year, it would very hard to live comfortably in NY....I make high 5 figures and consider myself amungst the poor...You're Rich or Poor in this city....There is no Middle Class in NY.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 AM

357 posts, read 888,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yes this doesn't necessarily mean it has to be downtown, as something like Shadyside, etc provides a similar experience. But why not downtown?
Why not downtown? Because Shadyside already has all the infrastructure that downtown is lacking. Plus you can get a house with a yard in Shadyside and still walk to work ... that is, if you work in Oakland.

That's the great selling point about Pittsburgh (for me). You can live and work around Oakland and not have to deal with the pain of going Downtown.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Scrap has a good point. Everything doesn't need to be centralized. Anchor corporations in the outskirts helps promote urban sprawl and a true greater metro area.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I was the same way when my Job moved me to NY....The 1st year I had an absolute ball of a time, and really lived up the city Carrie Bradshaw style.....

But around my 3rd year of living here, and I was starting to feel kinda burned out on NY, I was getting tired of Crowds everywhere I went, 2500 people walking right outside my door, the insanely high rent you have to pay.....

Trust me Hopes you have the same reaction that all visitors do....But give it 3 years of Living here and that will tell you if you're really made for NY...

Unless you make 6 figures a year, it would very hard to live comfortably in NY....I make high 5 figures and consider myself amungst the poor...You're Rich or Poor in this city....There is no Middle Class in NY.
I believe you. I could see myself getting annoyed by the crowds on a long term basis. A year would be nice though.

I'd never raise children in Manhattan. It's not like they can go outside and play (on their own). But I did see 5 children, around 12 years old, skateboarding down the middle of the street at 10:30pm a few blocks from the former world trade center area. I thought their parents must be insane or have no idea how stupid their children are.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 AM

44 posts, read 151,116 times
I lived in NYC for 10 yeras. I loved it there. People there have a completely different view of what is important in their lives. I always admired the strength it took parents to raise their children in Manhattan. It must be a tremendous burden but they grow up with an enormous knowledge of the world. Many people from there have little knowledge or desire to retreat to the bucolic settings of the suburbs. I left years ago fo Miami.

While I lived there and someone would ask what I do for a living, my response would be
"I pay rent for a living".

Last edited by JacksPgh; 08-21-2009 at 08:27 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Pittsburgh is indeed atypical in that it is basically an ellipse and not a circle, meaning it has two foci: Downtown and Oakland. But I think that is a strength, and would hope to make working in both places as convenient as possible.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:41 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
I have never understood why we bent over backwards to entice American Eagle to move to the South Side Works. I would have preferred if we bent over backwards to move them to downtown. Can you imagine how much better dowtown would be with the American Eagle Workforce spending their dollars downtown.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 AM

Plus Southside is a terrible commute for anyone who doesn't live in the south.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 AM

44 posts, read 151,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I have never understood why we bent over backwards to entice American Eagle to move to the South Side Works. I would have preferred if we bent over backwards to move them to downtown. Can you imagine how much better dowtown would be with the American Eagle Workforce spending their dollars downtown.
They should have bent over backwards to entice Westinghouse to move its hdqrs back downtown. It used to be in Gateway Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh