Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,102 times

Advertisements

I agree. This is Pittsburgh, not Nashville. To each his own. I like New Wave. I will say that I do like CowPunk, which is derived from country in a sarcastic way. I respect that. If you are going to do a fake twang, go all out. Today's country stars are fake country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 02:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Look at yourselves, some of you talk about Pittsburgher's being close minded, open up a little and just enjoy. You don't have to fall in love with country music, but you might like it if you open your mind up a little.
Funny! You act like we've been soooooooooo sheltered that we've never even heard it before!

Old 08-20-2009, 04:50 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Look at yourselves, some of you talk about Pittsburgher's being close minded, open up a little and just enjoy. You don't have to fall in love with country music, but you might like it if you open your mind up a little.

Hey, how do you feel about Tito Puente? Now that's some good music for those that are not close minded.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:57 PM

192 posts, read 594,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I agree. This is Pittsburgh, not Nashville. To each his own. I like New Wave. I will say that I do like CowPunk, which is derived from country in a sarcastic way. I respect that. If you are going to do a fake twang, go all out. Today's country stars are fake country.
Yep, give me Jason and the Scorchers over that stuff any day. Awesome live.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
Yep, give me Jason and the Scorchers over that stuff any day. Awesome live.

Right! Jason and the Scorchers are great because they poke fun at country, and rock like there is no tomorrow. That is why they never made it big with true country bumpkins but were big with people that liked alternative 80s. I do like alt country, which is truer to form American music than Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, and so on. I like artists like Lucinda Williams, Wilco, Kathleen Edwards etc. These artists are real.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I think an effort should be made by Pittsburgh to establish itself as an rock and alternative town, like Nasshville is a country music town.

The large record labels have destroyed rock. They don't consider it as lucrative of a money maker because there are multiple members in a band to transport during tours, split commissions, etc. They claim that rock is only liked by older people who don't spend money on music, but that's bull. I know many teenagers who are totally into rock and/or alternative. The large record labels have tried to steer music towards bubble gum pop, American Idol quicky music.

I really think Pittsburgh could become successful in this area.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:44 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Go Woodstock!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 AM

294 posts, read 659,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Just what we need... deep fried Twinkies and fried bologna sandwiches
Hey don't diss fried twinkies! WTF

Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 AM

294 posts, read 659,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think an effort should be made by Pittsburgh to establish itself as an rock and alternative town, like Nasshville is a country music town.

The large record labels have destroyed rock. They don't consider it as lucrative of a money maker because there are multiple members in a band to transport during tours, split commissions, etc. They claim that rock is only liked by older people who don't spend money on music, but that's bull. I know many teenagers who are totally into rock and/or alternative. The large record labels have tried to steer music towards bubble gum pop, American Idol quicky music.

Ha! That's funny. I'm young and I don't spend any money on music, nor do I know many friends that do. But I still listen to what I want, when I want to. Record companies are digging their own graves with their stupidity and inability to adapt and its fun to watch.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:30 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think an effort should be made by Pittsburgh to establish itself as a rock and alternative town, like Nashville is a country music town.

I'd love that and believe it could work except we have the problem of being unattractive to any new businesses of any kind. Possibly in the 1950s-60s music stores and recording studios were more popular here. I think there aren't any studios left where a band can even cut a demo-disc locally. There was a time when it was so competitive you could call around and price-shop.
---
In the era of making commemorative coins to celebrate and advertise what a city or state was famous for, Cincinnati was famous for nothing so they decided to say they were the U.S. Music Center and the half dollars were minted in 1936. Likewise, I wonder why Cleveland has the rock-and-roll hall of fame? (Alright, I looked it up. They offered the most money for it in 1983.)
---
Our city is well positioned now to pull-off about anything it wants, except the politicians can't see past their noses. With all the favorable attention we've finally been getting, and without progressiveness, I'm afraid we'll soon fall into the category of an overrated city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh