Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:42 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

I hear ya. New Zealand is gorgeous. They must have very strict immigration laws to keep the rest of us yahoos out...:]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Italy is the one country I always seem to think about when contemplating where else I could conceivably live, in part because I would love to have easy access to Europe in general, and the Italians have otherwise seemed to master the art of daily living. I particularly liked Siena of the places I have been in Italy.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I hear ya. New Zealand is gorgeous. They must have very strict immigration laws to keep the rest of us yahoos out...:]
You'd be surprised. They're desperate for educated workers in certain field. Just a few years ago, there was a shortage of teachers. Check out the immigration website. Some science degrees are in critical demand, although not in education right now. Amazingly, they're in need of graphic artists and have been for many years.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You'd be surprised. They're desperate for educated workers in certain field. Just a few years ago, there was a shortage of teachers. Check out the immigration website. Some science degrees are in critical demand, although not in education right now. Amazingly, they're in need of graphic artists and have been for many years.
With NZ...Australians can EASILY just move there and live and work - they have some mutual agreement. So I would imagine it would easier to get someone from there if they don't always have what they need.

That being said, Australia seems to be somewhat easy to get citizenship, compared to other places, or so I've heard.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
With NZ...Australians can EASILY just move there and live and work - they have some mutual agreement. So I would imagine it would easier to get someone from there if they don't always have what they need.

That being said, Australia seems to be somewhat easy to get citizenship, compared to other places, or so I've heard.
Even with an agreement with Australia, New Zealand still has a critical demand in many fields. Check out the immigration website.

It's only easier to get citizenship if you fill one of the critical needs.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:18 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
I wouldn't live anywhere else. Pittsburgh is too unique.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
I wouldn't live anywhere else. Pittsburgh is too unique.
I'm not trying to be snarky, but isn't every place unique?

Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky, but isn't every place unique?
I'll bite. No.

Too many places across this country have gone for the same model of suburban track home hell. With homes of the same styles, nearly indentical strip malls,big box stores, even restaurants and cafes (Applebees, Olive Garden, Chuck E. Cheeses, Starbucks, etc.). While I will grant the homogenous architecture, shopping, and "driving experiences" do not extinguish the geographic and cultural differences entirely, many, many places lack memorable character, IMO. I think that is what the poster was saying.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
You'll find that in Pittsburgh, too, in certain areas. The architecture is all period, just depends on the period. The suburbs look like they could be transported to Denver, except that in Denver, the burbs have sidewalks, and walking/bike paths. In most of Pgh, they don't even have sidewalks.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You'll find that in Pittsburgh, too, in certain areas. The architecture is all period, just depends on the period. The suburbs look like they could be transported to Denver, except that in Denver, the burbs have sidewalks, and walking/bike paths. In most of Pgh, they don't even have sidewalks.

You are right that some neighborhoods are forgettable everywhere. For what it's worth, I have lived very briefly in Denver, and thought it was unique too. A number of unique neighborhoods with plenty of character. But the suburb in Superior,CO, where my brother lives, is rather wretched, IMO. That said, he has a spectacular view of the Flat Irons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh