Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 07:23 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Pittsburgh officials reversed course on a controversial decision Friday to take away a lifesaving opiate antidote from firefighters who often are among the first emergency personnel to respond to 911 calls.

Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Stephen Bucar ordered fire officials to suspend issuing naloxone, known by the brand name Narcan, from fire trucks because the city paramedics union threatened to file a grievance, said Ralph Sicuro, president of the International Association of Fire Fighters Local No. 1.
By 5 p.m. Friday, the city backtracked and said firefighters could continue to employ the drug while the law department reviews the issue.

“After further discussion with the administration, Public Safety Director Bucar would like to state that the firefighters will continue utilizing Narcan while the law department determines if doing so is a conflict with the EMS contract,” Public Safety spokeswoman Sonya Toler wrote in an email to the Tribune-Review, which inquired about the drug's removal earlier in the afternoon. “Director Bucar also encourages the EMS and firefighter unions to work together on this important lifesaving endeavor.”

Source: City backs off controversial decision to withhold Narcan from firefighters | TribLIVE
Given that drug overdoses are the leading accidental cause of death in the Commonwealth (killing more people than car accidents), I think that all first responders (EMS, Fire, and Police) should carry Narcan. This is particularly important for the Pittsburgh Public Safety services, as the majority of opioid overdoses within Allegheny County occur within City limits. There are lives that can be saved through the simple administration of this life-saving medication.

Personally, I think the Paramedics union should be ashamed of themselves in this instance.
I also must admit it was refreshing to see City government displaying some moral courage and common-sense in the face of the threatened union grievance. Hopefully these efforts continue to expand and the Police begin carrying Narcan as well.

For those who may be at risk of an opioid overdose themselves, or for those whose family or friends may be at risk, please also be aware that private citizens can purchase Narcan without a prescription due to a standing order issued by the Health Department Director: Allegheny County Health Department - Press Release
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 07:39 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
There are lives that can be saved through the simple administration of this life-saving medication.

Personally, I think the Paramedics union should be ashamed of themselves in this instance.
I also must admit it was refreshing to see City government displaying some moral courage and common-sense in the face of the threatened union grievance. Hopefully these efforts continue to expand and the Police begin carrying Narcan as well.

Unions typically fight to enforce their work rules and preserve work for their dues paying members. I don't see it as a shameful thing, if they are just operating according to their usual plans as the EMT's union is doing.

As long as the city makes sure the police and firefighters are trained in the use of Narcan and the insurance companies are fine with it, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't. Every drug has side effects and the possibility of an improper administration, maybe to someone who isn't loaded on heroin is definitely there, but if everyone is trained and the insurance companies assign a reasonable risk to the use of Narcan, I'd agree.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:11 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Unions typically fight to enforce their work rules and preserve work for their dues paying members. I don't see it as a shameful thing, if they are just operating according to their usual plans as the EMT's union is doing.

As long as the city makes sure the police and firefighters are trained in the use of Narcan and the insurance companies are fine with it, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't. Every drug has side effects and the possibility of an improper administration, maybe to someone who isn't loaded on heroin is definitely there, but if everyone is trained and the insurance companies assign a reasonable risk to the use of Narcan, I'd agree.
I'm a certified EMT - I get that many EMS providers work in a very high-stress and very low-compensation career. In this case, the union wasn't fighting the good fight for their members quality of life but were just engaging in a ridiculous turf battle that would have had adverse impacts on public health.

All newly-hired Pittsburgh firefighters are trained as EMTs (Firefighters' new medical duties could change role of paramedics | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

Narcan is an extremely safe drug (Meet Narcan: The amazing drug that helps save overdose patients - Journal of Emergency Medical Services)

Firefighters were trained on the application of Narcan. They started carrying Narcan on Wednesday - on Thursday they'd already saved someone OD'ing on the South Side. The medics union was complaining that Narcan is an ALS tool, and shouldn't be in the hands of BLS providers (firefighters) - which is hogwash.
Overdose drug to remain on city firetrucks for now | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Narcan is in the hands of first responders - they shouldn't have to wring their hands until an EMT-P arrives. Narcan should be able to be administered by first responders if they arrive before the medics, and of course then have the medics routed to the scene as well to bring their ALS skills and equipment into play.

I still say the medics union should be ashamed - this wasn't an argument about improving patient care, or about improving medics working conditions. This was a bureaucratic turf fight, plain and simple, that endangered the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh