Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 04:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
This is just speculation on my part, and I'm sure there are a number of studies that indicate the reasons behind population trends here.

My guess is that many of the young people who go to university here (Pitt, CMU, Point Park, Duquesne, Robert Morris, etc.) are not Pittsburgh natives (at least, live within the city limits) in the first place. Some of them probably do take jobs and stay after graduation, but many return to their hometown, whether it's 1,000 miles away or somewhere in our backyard, like Peters Township.

Also, the population of Pittsburgh isn't as declining as much as it used to. Most net loss now is probably from attrition...there is a large elderly population, and they're dying. People are having fewer children now, so those who are already here aren't replacing those who die.

Pittsburgh is currently doing a better job of attracting and retaining and residents than it has at any point in the past 30 years. They city saw it's population decline by 50% from 1960 to 2000. Will the next 40 years be the same as the last 40? Unlikely - I'd say the decline has bottomed out and it's now on the upswing.
% of in-state students:

Pitt: 85

CMU: N/A

Point Park: 84

Duquesne: 81

Robert Morris: 92

Source: US News and World Report, 2005

Now these students are not all from Pittsburgh, of course, but a lot of them are. Several years ago I came across an article about how many stay in Pgh after graduation. It is higher for the students from Pt. Park than from CMU. Just some interesting factoids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 08:28 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not so ridiculous!

Maybe the concrete park is NOT historical
Maybe something historical happened on that site...

Markers commemorate all sorts of people, places and things.
Did you stop to read that one?
Yes, I did read it. The marker said "Historic Landmark. Mellon Square. Built 1955." Not even kidding-- wish I was. The marker/ plaque is on Smithfield if you want to see it for yourself. lol

Old 08-29-2009, 08:48 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Here stands this parking garage, built 1955. Hehehe. Because that's what it really is.

But apparently it does have some historical significance, if you look at it optimistically. Oasis in the City: Mellon Square is an Icon of Modernism « Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy Blog Trouble is, it's been left to rot too long. In fact it's considered an early example of a green roof. Mellon Square / Heritage Landscapes (http://www.heritagelandscapes.com/modern/mellon_square.html - broken link)

Old 08-29-2009, 09:51 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I've always liked Mellon Square--I'm glad to see they are planning to restore and maintain it.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:52 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,397 times
for the young people who are smart they will be wise to invest in the properties and use their creative juices to make the city more vibrant to more youn'ins.....

Old 08-30-2009, 10:03 AM

95 posts, read 208,050 times
I see a loads of 20 and 30 somethings in the burg.

Google has a office here and has added soome pop to the burgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh