Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:11 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

I kind of love the fact that instead of knocking on doors and getting someone to call the police, he goes to the trouble to download Skype. Kids today.
Quote:
Duruk, a senior cognitive science and human-computer interaction double major,
C'mon, fleetiebelle, knocking on doors is just so 20th century....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Crime has been getting worse in pittsburgh..One of the many reasons I can't wait to leave. This kinda stuff seems to happen whenever the students come back. I know myself of a couple people who got knives pulled on them and beat up a few years back but it never made the news.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
This kinda stuff seems to happen whenever the students come back.
Students make themselves really easy targets, though. I get the official CMU crime reports through work, and half the time people get things stolen because they left them unattended or in unlocked lockers, and many of the muggings occur when people are walking alone in the middle of the night. Not that people deserve crime to happen to them, but a little common sense goes a long way.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Yeh..I know..But if I work outside the home, walking home alone at night is my only option. These last sprees happened in the middle of the day too.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Crime has been getting worse in pittsburgh..One of the many reasons I can't wait to leave. This kinda stuff seems to happen whenever the students come back. I know myself of a couple people who got knives pulled on them and beat up a few years back but it never made the news.
The same risks will exist in any city neighborhood across the nation. Crime is everywhere. You won't be safer if you move to another city neighborhood.

If you want a greater chance of safety, move to the suburbs or start driving a car instead of walking around.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:43 AM

No crap...Ok..well I am moving so it really does not matter. I felt safer in NYC because there were not these stupid students making everyone that was young looking seem like an easy target. Same with LA.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I wonder if this latest mugging spree might be in part due to the G-20 protesters who have recently migrated to Pittsburgh.

They are basically homeless and squatting in our vacant buildings.

I also mentioned this in the G-20 thread but thought it was best to repost about it here.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:39 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Anybody got concrete data on this mugging "spree" or that there are truly new squatters who came here only to protest the G20? Neither of these ring true to me. I mean no offense; we often get taken by sensational rumors and such. I'm just curious. The one iPhone event doesn't translate into "spree" to me. G20 squatters (yes, I read the couple posts in the other thread) just smells like a lovely urban myth to me.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:28 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Crime has been getting worse in pittsburgh..
I was just waiting for you to say that!

Quote:
One of the many reasons I can't wait to leave.

Another predictable comment from you. Wanna know a secret???? Don't tell, promise? CRIME IS GETTING WORSE..........EVERYWHERE

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta get back to watchin' my back here in dangerous Point Breeze

Old 09-06-2009, 07:30 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wonder if this latest mugging spree might be in part due to the G-20 protesters who have recently migrated to Pittsburgh.

They are basically homeless and squatting in our vacant buildings.

I also mentioned this in the G-20 thread but thought it was best to repost about it here.
I'll bet it has absoloutley nothing to do with it. The three "gentlemen" who made national news for robbing that kid of his iPhone were from Swissvale, Homewood, and somewhere in Washington County. Just the typical ghetto rats preying on college kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh