Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh's suburban school districts are naturally diversifying at a rapid rate. By naturally diversifying, I mean that minorities are moving into new areas of their own choice. Although the diversification isn't due to merging or bussing, the changes are still rather rapid and aren't yet reflected in the most recent census population statistics.

To my knowledge, Penn Hills is the only suburban school district to experience these natural changes in recent history. Although society has become more tollerant than decades ago, I contend that it's important to have an intelligent discussion to brainstorm how school districts and municipalities can prevent white flight and become successfully diversified areas.

In the past, the low percentage of minorities were easily integrated into the suburban school popualation. They were readily accepted by many of their peers because they acclimated to the new environment. This rapid influx is bringing a new dynamic to districts that have been previously accepting of minorities. The reason is in the different ways the minorities are behaving in a large influx verses a slow growing low percentage. Instead of integrating like previously, minorities are segregating themselves by forming racial cliques. While all students tend to form cliques based on interest and income levels, I contend that it will be deterimental to school districts if racial cliques become the norm.

First, I'd like to know why a rapid influx of minorities caused minorities to isolate themselves by self segregation. Since the districts had previous positive experience with a low percentage of minorities, it's less likely the result of the behavior of the majority population causing minorities to isolate themselves. One possible explanation could be the economic classes are different. Historically, minorities who moved to the district were middle class to upper middle class. Possibly the new minorities are from a lower class of less educated families. Then again, it could be something as simple as the first minorities readily integrated because they simply had no choice since there were few minorities for them to isolate themselves with.

What can districts and townships do to help promote a positive transition into rapidly diversifing areas? In todays culture, I believe white flight results from only two things: crime and a deterioration of schools. On a township level, crime is the main challenge which could be offset by increasing police presence to maintain crime rates. On a school level, it becomes more complicated IMO.

Here are some of my ideas.

With this rapid influx of minority populations, I believe it is crucial for school districts to reconsider hiring practices for the good of the school. I have long been disgusted by the fact the suburban districts only hire white professionals. Students of all races need to have access to educating professionals from all races. IMO the lack of minority professionals poses a few problems in suburban school districts experiencing rapid growth of minority populations. It must be difficult for minority students to feel the school is their school too. As a population diversifies, the staff should disversify too. However, I believe it is vital that the staffing be done at a professional level positions as teachers, guidance counselors and principals and not only in uneducated positions such a cafeteria and security staff.

Unfortunately, most suburban districts' minority employees fill uneducated positions of security staff via contract with a security company. This inequity poses a lot of problems. First and foremost, students of any race should not be exposed to only uneducated minority employees in the schools. Students need to be exposed to successful, educated minorities too. Furthermore, the uneducated minority security staff have a difficult time containing their resentment towards the upper middle class students they are assigned to police. For some reason, it seems they are misinterpretting the natural student hate for school security as racial hate. I believe this resentment and misinterpretation would deminish if minorities also staffed professional education positions.

Even with diversified staffing, how can a district prevent minority students from self segregating? In this day of political correctness, will school district leaders even dare to have this discussion among themselves? Or will they fear the mere discussion of how to accomplish racial integration will bring lawsuits?

I do not believe the answer is to provide avenues of cultural expression like colleges and universities have created separate housing for minorities. Those practices enforce the self-segregation mentality among minorities. Even though our minority students aren't immigrants, their integration into suburban schools is similar to an immigrant experience. And the government doesn't and shouldn't provide avenues of cultural expression. Historically, cultural expression took place in the neighborhood and at home, not the schools.

Even though racial threads become very heated on citydata, I believe that we all want diversification and integration to go well throughout Pittsburgh's greater metropolitian area. I ask that everyone from both sides of the fence recognize that this discussion isn't intended to be to the detriment of anyone. We can't accomplish something if we can't talk about it. Europe is a disaster because they have no experience integrating immigrant populations into society because political correctness hinders discussing the problem.

America has been a successful melting pot. Americans have experience assimilating new populations into society because America has been doing it for hundreds of years. Based on that, I believe the American melting pot can be successfully replicated in the racial integration of our neighborhoods and schools too.

Last edited by Hopes; 09-06-2009 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 12:47 PM

92,022 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Pittsburgh's suburban school districts are naturally diversifying at a rapid rate. By naturally diversifying, I mean that minorities are moving into new areas of their own choice. Although the diversification isn't due to merging or bussing, the changes are still rather rapid and aren't yet reflected in the most recent census population statistics.

To my knowledge, Penn Hills is the only suburban school district to experience these natural changes in recent history. Although society has become more tollerant than decades ago, I contend that it's important to have an intelligent discussion to brainstorm how school districts and municipalities can prevent white flight and become successfully diversified areas.

In the past, the low percentage of minorities were easily integrated into the suburban school popualation. They were readily accepted by many of their peers because they acclimated to the new environment. This rapid influx is bringing a new dynamic to districts that have been previously accepting of minorities. The reason is in the different ways the minorities are behaving in a large influx verses a slow growing low percentage. Instead of integrating like previously, minorities are segregating themselves by forming racial cliques. While all students tend to form cliques based on interest and income levels, I contend that it will be deterimental to school districts if racial cliques become the norm.

First, I'd like to know why a rapid influx of minorities caused minorities to isolate themselves by self segregation. Since the districts had previous positive experience with a low percentage of minorities, it's less likely the result of the behavior of the majority population causing minorities to isolate themselves. One possible explanation could be the economic classes are different. Historically, minorities who moved to the district were middle class to upper middle class. Possibly the new minorities are from a lower class of less educated families. Then again, it could be something as simple as the first minorities readily integrated because they simply had no choice since there were few minorities for them to isolate themselves with.

What can districts and townships do to help promote a positive transition into rapidly diversifing areas? In todays culture, I believe white flight results from only two things: crime and a deterioration of schools. On a township level, crime is the main challenge which could be offset by increasing police presence to maintain crime rates. On a school level, it becomes more complicated IMO.

Here are some of my ideas.

With this rapid influx of minority populations, I believe it is crucial for school districts to reconsider hiring practices for the good of the school. I have long been disgusted by the fact the suburban districts only hire white professionals. Students of all races need to have access to educating professionals from all races. IMO the lack of minority professionals poses a few problems in suburban school districts experiencing rapid growth of minority populations. It must be difficult for minority students to feel the school is their school too. As a population diversifies, the staff should disversify too. However, I believe it is vital that the staffing be done at a professional level positions as teachers, guidance counselors and principals and not only in uneducated positions such a cafeteria and security staff.

Unfortunately, most suburban districts' minority employees fill uneducated positions of security staff via contract with a security company. This inequity poses a lot of problems. First and foremost, students of any race should not be exposed to only uneducated minority employees in the schools. Students need to be exposed to successful, educated minorities too. Furthermore, the uneducated minority security staff have a difficult time containing their resentment towards the upper middle class students they are assigned to police. For some reason, it seems they are misinterpretting the natural student hate for school security as racial hate. I believe this resentment and misinterpretation would deminish if minorities also staffed professional education positions.

Even with diversified staffing, how can a district prevent minority students from self segregating? In this day of political correctness, will school district leaders even dare to have this discussion among themselves? Or will they fear the mere discussion of how to accomplish racial integration will bring lawsuits?

I do not believe the answer is to provide avenues of cultural expression like colleges and universities have created separate housing for minorities. Those practices enforce the self-segregation mentality among minorities. Even though our minority students aren't immigrants, their integration into suburban schools is similar to an immigrant experience. And the government doesn't and shouldn't provide avenues of cultural expression. Historically, cultural expression took place in the neighborhood and at home, not the schools.

Even though racial threads become very heated on citydata, I believe that we all want diversification and integration to go well throughout Pittsburgh's greater metropolitian area. I ask that everyone from both sides of the fence recognize that this discussion isn't intended to be to the detriment of anyone. We can't accomplish something if we can't talk about it. Europe is a disaster because they have no experience integrating immigrant populations into society because political correctness hinders discussing the problem.

America has been a successful melting pot. Americans have experience assimilating new populations into society because America has been doing it for hundreds of years. Based on that, I believe the American melting pot can be successfully replicated in the racial integration of our neighborhoods and schools too.
Not to burst your bubble on this comment, but America is more of a pluralistic society, not a "melting pot". Brazil would seem more like a melting pot than the US.

Anyway, I see what you are saying about this rapid diversification, as it is occurring in some districts here in Upstate NY. I think it can be touchy because not only is there a racial dynamic, but there is an economic dynamic due to increased gentrification that has occurred in many cities across the country. So, in turn, you see people of color that lived in what were "poorer" neighborhoods economically get moved to other areas of a metro area. This is similar to what happened with "urban renewal" back in the 60's and early 70's. Hopefully, things won't be as tense now as they were then.

I agree with the fact that when there were only a few minority students, it is easier for the larger group to be at ease with them, because the minorities most likely come from a middle class family. So, if nothing else, they in a sense, fulfill a somewhat economic equity with their peers. I've experienced this on a personal level as well.

I will say that the Pittsburgh area is different in that there have been blue collar suburbs and nearby communities that have been "diverse" for a long time due to the industries in those communities. I think the Steel industry was one of the few industries where Black people could have a chance at middle class living in the past. So, that's probably why places like Beaver Falls, Aliquippa, Braddock, McKeesport, Midland and New Castle, among many others have been ahead of the curve in that regard. I say this because the city where I'm from has about the same percentage of Black people as Pittburgh, but there is only 1 suburban school district where Black students make up over 10% of the student body. There are a couple others that are close, but most are between 2-5%.

Then, in the Pittsburgh area, you have districts that are diverse due to consolidation like Sto-Rox, for example. Since that occurred say a couple of decades ago, I think the kids start getting accustomed to each other.

Here's a good site to check out to show the progression of integration in school districts around the country: the state of public school integration

and another site that shows the change in demographics of schools over the years: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/PA/di...70/search.aspx

and another good site to look in regards to schools: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...unty=Allegheny

Old 09-06-2009, 01:34 PM

Yes, this rapid diversification is different from the displacement, merging and bussing of decades ago. I'm talking about a sudden influx of minorities making the free choice to move to the suburbs, not steel towns, within the last year. This rapid minority population growth is happening to the suburban school districts in Allegheny County. Many people are completely unaware that many of Allegheny County's suburban school districts are diversifying very quickly. It's happening so fast that it won't show up in population statistics yet.

What I've noticed is it's not the larger group that's uncomfortable. It's the new members of the minority group that is chosing self-isolating. The larger group has never isolated minorities in the suburbs. For some reason, this new influx of minorities is chosing to isolate themselves. The larger group hasn't changed---yet. That's my fear though. If the minority population continues to self-isolate and claims unfounded racial intollerance, how will the majority then react? Can we prevent it by helping the minority population to better integrate?

Old 09-06-2009, 02:05 PM

I thought I'd offer some clarification by providing more detail about the past and present school environment as it pertains to race. I won't mention school districts because these changes shouldn't influence anyone's decision to buy homes in these suburbs. There are no problems. It's very possible that this might go smoothly. I just though it was worthy of discussion.

Until this year, minorities came into the suburban school districts slowly. I can't be specific on percentage except to say that it was a very low percentage growing at a slow rate. They integrated into the district by making friends throughout the entire student popualation via sports, clubs, activites, etc. Their friendships were not based on race whatsoever. They didn't gravitate towards one another and isolate themselves. Those already integrated students are still integrated. They have maintained their original friendships and remain scattered throughout the student population.

Within one year, approximately 100 new minority students have entered school buildings housing the student size population of two to three grade levels. (To help put it into perspective, classrooms now average approximately two to three minority students whereas last year there may have only been one in an occassional class.)

While the existing minority population has retained it's origional integration, the new students have migrated towards one another and have isolated themselves. So, at lunchtime, the established minority students are sitting scattered throughout the cafeteria with their long established friends regardless of race. The new minority students have chosen to isolate themselves and sit together according to race. They have officially segreated themselves, not just by tables, but by creating an entire black section in the cafeteria. Meanwhile the established minorities are not joining that section and sitting with friends from last year.

Sociologists would find this fascinating.

It's possible that this might work out without incident. It's possible that the younger brothers and sisters of these new students will integrate better since grade schools are forced to eat lunch with their class instead of their friends. As these younger students move to the upper schools, it's most likely that they'll retain their established friendships just as the older students are doing now.

As the minority population continues to increase over the next few years (and I'll bet it will increase just as much next year as it did this year), the newest minority students might not be as likely to segreate themselves if a greater percentage of the minorities are integrated. But this can only happen if the influx isn't too large over a short period of time since they have already established a segreated cafeteria.

I want to stress that there has been no problems whatsoever. I just think that it's important to discuss. The majority student population thinks the minority population's self-segregation is strange. They don't understand why they have self-segreated. So, in essence, the majority is a little unsettled. They see no reason for the self-segretation because they have always been very welcoming of minority students. Racism hasn't ever been a problem in the district. The majority student population is confused.

IMO this scenario is setting the stage for what is played out in society on a more grand level. The majority doesn't view itself as racist because the majority has always been accepting of minorities in the school population. The new minority population is acting like the majority is racist. Eventually, something will happen and the race card will be played by someone. The majority will be offended, as an individual or group depending on the severity of the race card incident. Then there will be full blown racial issues because the majority will become racist towards the minorities who are chosing to make race an issue by isolating themselves and playing the race card.

How can that be avoided? Pittsburgh is becoming diversified and I think it's going to happen very quickly based on the sudden surge. How can we ensure it becomes diversified in a healthy manner? We want diveristy to be racial harmony. How can that be encouraged?

Last edited by Hopes; 09-06-2009 at 02:26 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
and another site that shows the change in demographics of schools over the years: Schools in Pittsburgh School District, Pittsburgh, PA.
Based on 2007 data in that link and my current estimates, I'm talking about a 5.5% increase in black students over a period of just two years. That's an amazing jump especially when you consider the other minority populations also increased AND the statistics only keep track of black, hispanic, asian, and american indian when there are Indian, Pakistani, and middle eastern students too. That means that the suburban minority school populations are heading toward the Allegheny County percentages when you consider that the white population in Allegheny County is 81.7%.

That's just one highschool. The increase might be higher in another suburban district. (I don't have time to calculate multiple schools). If this trend continues over the next 5 years, it will be difficult for people to accuse Pittsburgh's suburbs of being segregated.

I'm remaining very optimistic that it will happen without much incident since natural diversification is the best form of integration.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Based on 2007 data in that link and my current estimates, I'm talking about a 5.5% increase in black students over a period of just two years. That's an amazing jump especially when you consider the other minority populations also increased AND the statistics only keep track of black, hispanic, asian, and american indian when there are Indian, Pakistani, and middle eastern students too. That means that the suburban minority school populations are heading toward the Allegheny County percentages when you consider that the white population in Allegheny County is 81.7%.

That's just one highschool. The increase might be higher in another suburban district. (I don't have time to calculate multiple schools). If this trend continues over the next 5 years, it will be difficult for people to accuse Pittsburgh's suburbs of being segregated.

I'm remaining very optimistic that it will happen without much incident since natural diversification is the best form of integration.
I believe they consider those students under Asian or White(Arabs) due to the location of those groups and/or how race is socialized in this country.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I believe they consider those students under Asian or White(Arabs) due to the location of those groups and/or how race is socialized in this country.
Either way, the diversification of Pittsburgh's suburban school districts is still happening at a sudden and amazing rate.

I'd like to talk about how the communities can ensure the success of this rapid diversification.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I thought I'd offer some clarification by providing more detail about the past and present school environment as it pertains to race. I won't mention school districts because these changes shouldn't influence anyone's decision to buy homes in these suburbs. There are no problems. It's very possible that this might go smoothly. I just though it was worthy of discussion.

Until this year, minorities came into the suburban school districts slowly. I can't be specific on percentage except to say that it was a very low percentage growing at a slow rate. They integrated into the district by making friends throughout the entire student popualation via sports, clubs, activites, etc. Their friendships were not based on race whatsoever. They didn't gravitate towards one another and isolate themselves. Those already integrated students are still integrated. They have maintained their original friendships and remain scattered throughout the student population.

Within one year, approximately 100 new minority students have entered school buildings housing the student size population of two to three grade levels. (To help put it into perspective, classrooms now average approximately two to three minority students whereas last year there may have only been one in an occassional class.)

While the existing minority population has retained it's origional integration, the new students have migrated towards one another and have isolated themselves. So, at lunchtime, the established minority students are sitting scattered throughout the cafeteria with their long established friends regardless of race. The new minority students have chosen to isolate themselves and sit together according to race. They have officially segreated themselves, not just by tables, but by creating an entire black section in the cafeteria. Meanwhile the established minorities are not joining that section and sitting with friends from last year.

Sociologists would find this fascinating.

It's possible that this might work out without incident. It's possible that the younger brothers and sisters of these new students will integrate better since grade schools are forced to eat lunch with their class instead of their friends. As these younger students move to the upper schools, it's most likely that they'll retain their established friendships just as the older students are doing now.

As the minority population continues to increase over the next few years (and I'll bet it will increase just as much next year as it did this year), the newest minority students might not be as likely to segreate themselves if a greater percentage of the minorities are integrated. But this can only happen if the influx isn't too large over a short period of time since they have already established a segreated cafeteria.

I want to stress that there has been no problems whatsoever. I just think that it's important to discuss. The majority student population thinks the minority population's self-segregation is strange. They don't understand why they have self-segreated. So, in essence, the majority is a little unsettled. They see no reason for the self-segretation because they have always been very welcoming of minority students. Racism hasn't ever been a problem in the district. The majority student population is confused.

IMO this scenario is setting the stage for what is played out in society on a more grand level. The majority doesn't view itself as racist because the majority has always been accepting of minorities in the school population. The new minority population is acting like the majority is racist. Eventually, something will happen and the race card will be played by someone. The majority will be offended, as an individual or group depending on the severity of the race card incident. Then there will be full blown racial issues because the majority will become racist towards the minorities who are chosing to make race an issue by isolating themselves and playing the race card.

How can that be avoided? Pittsburgh is becoming diversified and I think it's going to happen very quickly based on the sudden surge. How can we ensure it becomes diversified in a healthy manner? We want diveristy to be racial harmony. How can that be encouraged?
This isn't anything new. When I went to a Big 10 University for a few years, you would see the same thing and I figured out some factors as to why this was happening. One, many of the people weren't just doing it by race, but by where they live a good portion of the time. So, you would have White kids that grew up in this suburb of the major city in this state and the Black students might be from a certain area of this same city. Two, the area I'm referring to has a history of segregation and racial tension. So, there is still some carry over and a lack of trust. Third, economics also was a part of the segregation. Meaning, that many times there is a real connection between race and economics that shows up in terms of association. Fourth, it just took some time for people to open up to each other, because it is new to everyone involved. There are probably some more factors, but that gives you an idea of what could be going on.

I think that creating clubs that anyone can participate in, like say a multi-cultural club or a community service club could help people break the ice.

Sports, which I would think is a big part of the life in the area, could also be something that brings the school together. It is probably one of the few things in our society in which you have to work together with people in order to reach a common goal, depending on the sport of course.

I think the idea of a diverse staff would help, as would parental involvement from all involved.

Just on a side note, do you know where these minority students are moving from? Are they from the area? What caused such a rapid influx of minority students? Was due to some type of displacement?

Old 09-06-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
This isn't anything new.
This is new to these suburban school districts of Pittsburgh.

If it's happened elsewhere in the past, I most certainly hope someone has learned something from it that can be applied towards helping promote success!

Quote:
One, many of the people weren't just doing it by race, but by where they live a good portion of the time. So, you would have White kids that grew up in this suburb of the major city in this state and the Black students might be from a certain area of this same city.
But these children all live in the same school district. It's a requirement to be a resident of a district.

The districts' neighborhoods have not become segregated. They're not moving into one specific area of the districts.

Quote:
Two, the area I'm referring to has a history of segregation and racial tension. So, there is still some carry over and a lack of trust.
That's not the case in the suburban school districts of Pittsburgh where this is currently happening.

Quote:
Third, economics also was a part of the segregation. Meaning, that many times there is a real connection between race and economics that shows up in terms of association.
These districts have signficant representation of all class levels in the white population.

As a matter of fact, the impoverished white students most certainly out number the impoverished black students in these school districts at this time.

That can be said of all economic classes right now. There is definitely more white students in every single economic classes in these suburban school districts.

These students are not self-segregating based on economics.

I could see how that would be the case at a university, but that's not the case in these suburban public school districts.

Quote:
Fourth, it just took some time for people to open up to each other, because it is new to everyone involved. There are probably some more factors, but that gives you an idea of what could be going on.
I do have the idea that the new minority is uncomfortable--expecting to not be accepted. Their self-segregation might seal that fate.

Quote:
Just on a side note, do you know where these minority students are moving from? Are they from the area? What caused such a rapid influx of minority students? Was due to some type of displacement?
There has been no displacement. That's why I'm calling this 'natural diversifying.' This is happening spontaneously and of their own choosing.

They are coming from the inner city for a safer life in the suburbs. This has been happening very slowly for a long time. A few decades ago, it was only the upper middle class moving the the suburbs. Over the past 10 years, the middle class and working class began to move in at a faster rate, but nothing like what's happened in the past two years. I can only suspect that this movement has suddenly boomed because they have realized that they will be accepted here based on the experiences they've heard from friends and relatives who have already moved into these suburbs.

A few years ago, there were some groups that moved into areas for the purpose of expanding illegal drug business. That didn't work out for them because law enforcement quickly cracked down. There was also some incidents at a few suburban school districts where the schools recruited good football players and somehow provided housing for the families. It was a huge scandal. That's not what's happening right now though.

So far, your ideas for ensuring success sort of fit with mine. I'm hoping we hear from citydata members from all races. We've had some very passionate discussion here regarding race. It would be nice to have a discussion that's actually about something positive happening in the Pittsburgh area. And I'd love to hear their opinions on why this self-segregation is occurring and if they think anything can be done to encourage a positive, successful transformation of our townships.

Last edited by Hopes; 09-06-2009 at 06:25 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
This is new to these suburban school districts of Pittsburgh.

If it's happened elsewhere in the past, I most certainly hope someone has learned something from it that can be applied towards helping promote success!

But these children all live in the same school district. It's a requirement to be a resident of a district.

The districts' neighborhoods have not become segregated. They're not moving into one specific area of the districts.

That's not the case in the suburban school districts of Pittsburgh where this is currently happening.

These districts have signficant representation of all class levels in the white population.

As a matter of fact, the impoverished white students most certainly out number the impoverished black students in these school districts at this time.

That can be said of all economic classes right now. There is definitely more white students in every single economic classes in these suburban school districts.

These students are not self-segregating based on economics.

I could see how that would be the case at a university, but that's not the case in these suburban public school districts.

I do have the idea that the new minority is uncomfortable--expecting to not be accepted. Their self-segregation might seal that fate.

There has been no displacement. That's why I'm calling this 'natural diversifying.' This is happening spontaneously and of their own choosing.

They are coming from the inner city for a safer life in the suburbs. This has been happening very slowly for a long time. A few decades ago, it was only the upper middle class moving the the suburbs. Over the past 10 years, the middle class and working class began to move in at a faster rate, but nothing like what's happened in the past two years. I can only suspect that this movement has suddenly boomed because they have realized that they will be accepted here based on the experiences they've heard from friends and relatives who have already moved into these suburbs.

A few years ago, there were some groups that moved into areas for the purpose of expanding illegal drug business. That didn't work out for them because law enforcement quickly cracked down. There was also some incidents at a few suburban school districts where the schools recruited good football players and somehow provided housing for the families. It was a huge scandal. That's not what's happening right now though.

So far, your ideas for ensuring success sort of fit with mine. I'm hoping we hear from citydata members from all races. We've had some very passionate discussion here regarding race. It would be nice to have a discussion that's actually about something positive happening in the Pittsburgh area. And I'd love to hear their opinions on why this self-segregation is occurring and if they think anything can be done to encourage a positive, successful transformation of our townships.
I ask about displacement due to many cities tearing down public housing projects and gentrifying urban neighborhoods by pricing out working class and lower middle class people. Hence, my reason for asking this question, espeically since you stated that it has occurred at a rapid pace recently.

As for the self segregating, how are they doing this? Are White students trying to interact with these new students? What was the percentage of the Black students before this influx? For instance, in my area, if you are Black and want to move to the suburbs, you most likely look at districts in the either the Northern or Eastern suburbs and Nedrow due to those districts having relatively more Black students than other school districts for various reasons like a military base being present, urban renewal pushing people out further from their old neighborhoods and affordable housing opening up as older families move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh