Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:06 PM

371 posts, read 798,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan09 View Post
Everything about Pittsburgh is better than New Jersey, not just the cost of living.
Having lived in New Jersey and Pittsburgh, this is nonsense. New Jersey is a very diverse state and depending upon where you live, has many amenities. I lived in Rumson, worked in NYC, and commuted by train every day. Can't do that, here.

Went to Delicious Orchards, frequently; there isn't much to compare, here.

Went to the ocean every weekend and some weeknights. Played sand volleyball for about half the year.

There simply is no comparison.

Pittsburgh has many good qualities and I like it here. But you can't really compare a city to a state with so much diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 PM

911 posts, read 2,374,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe76 View Post
3. What is the singles life like? I am past the partying phase, so is there things to do and professional singles to meet?

the single life here sux

Old 10-18-2009, 12:54 PM

269 posts, read 1,054,607 times
Welcome and good luck with your search! I'm partial to the East End part of the area, but the west and south are closer to the airport. I just feel like the west and south are much more suburban but maybe that's what you're looking for.

I get the feeling that dating is hard here - I have a lot of younger friends in their mid/late twenties and they are pretty unhappy with the dating pool. Most of them have started doing the internet dating thing and the women have had some more success than the guys.

Pittsburgh is ridiculously cheap compared to some sections of NJ - I'm not really knowledgeable about all of Jersey but much much much cheaper than any of the areas close to NYC, much much cheaper than any of the areas close to Philly and much much cheaper than the areas around Princeton.

Good luck with your move!

Old 10-18-2009, 01:49 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,937,476 times
Single life is great for all age groups but, it helps greatly if your socially conneted

Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,006 times
Coming from Jersey, I'd say things will be remarkably cheaper and the overall perspective that you get from the little things like "hilly" surroundings, driving through the tunnels, all the bridges and rivers, the incredibly annoying yellow(gold) color coded everything, and other quirks of the area should keep you feeling pretty good due to the "difference" factor. You'll like it at first and get the sense of something new that you're probably looking for.

But as for what Pittsburgh is like...in terms of rent, it's affordable and you'll probably be looking at historic structures and houses vs highrises, modern lofts, etc. Pittsburgh plays more on its history than anything else and is divided into many connected neighborhoods that are joined to downtown, you'll either love it or hate it, but it sounds like you may enjoy this aspect based on what you've written. Just think funky little row houses instead of condos. Others will chime in on specific areas, but it's entirely possible to find a more urban-ish(by Pittsburgh definition) neighborhood near the city but without the drawbacks of urban living. Just don't expect urban Jersey traits and you'll probably be happy.

Pittsburgh is very, very different from your typical larger Jersey cities if that's what you're going by for comparison. It's not an east coast city at all and has more in common with the midwest. Compared to NYC, Boston, D.C., Philly, etc, Pittsburgh is not very cosmopolitan and possibly lacking. However, compare it to something more appropriate like Cleveland, Cinci, Buffalo, Indy, Louisville, Detroit, St. Louis, etc and Pittsburgh wipes the floor with them culturally. We're probably on par with other cities like Minneapolis and Milwaukee, in some small ways Baltimore. Pittsburgh is very family oriented, and demographically speaking, you're probably alright being in your early 30s and out of the partying phase.

Pittsburgh loses a lot of its 20 somethings after college...ironically enough, I'm 23 going on 24 and looking into North Carolina and Texas...so you'll see more 18-23 year olds and 33-40 year olds than anything else due to this gap. The dating scene...well keep in mind that this IS a smaller midwestern type of city, it's very family oriented, and those who do stick around after college tend to follow in their family's footseps and pair up permanently in their early to mid 20s. Pittsburgh does not have a good dating scene at all in terms of the amount of people to choose from, once again, a megalopolis this is not...it's a midwestern-style city lacking in 20 somethings and with a strong family vibe. For the 20 somethings group, it honestly feels like you're supposed to be married by 25, live in a 2 story house with a dog and a cat, and have 2.5 children by 30. We're not in Miami, San Diego, NYC, D.C., or Austin where you can find droves of singles and truly diverse lifestyles. However, this doesn't mean anything in terms of the quality of people that you'll come accross around here. If you're active and get out, you'll still find a decent amount of down to earth people to date. Pittsburgh is much more of a bar crawl type of scene as opposed to night clubs, it has the South Side but the night life isn't really all that amazing. There's some decent shopping areas, any city this size will have the upscale movie theatres that you want, and nature isn't an issue. We're green...very, very, green and scenic with great hiking/skiiing options within the area.

In short, Pittsburgh is unique and worth a shot. If you're looking for a change, it would be worth a try. Just keep in mind that we're not an east coast city, and that there's definately more of a midwestern/appalachian/country type of feel in general. But life is what you make of it, since you're already used to the potentially long winters(worst drawback of Pittsburgh life), would be moving to a more affordable city, and probably have the right frame of mind at this stage in your life, you might like it. Check out www.pittsburghskyline.com and browse the hoards of photo sets posted on the front page, this guy takes amazing pictures and it'll give you the perfect idea of what you'd be walking into. The June 2008 photo set shows some particularly good examples of how the different neighborhoods flow into the city...rowhomes and whatnot appear to magically pop up out of nowhere just a few blocks from the city core, it's odd but charming.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 10-19-2009 at 07:58 AM..

Old 10-20-2009, 12:26 AM

49 posts, read 146,443 times
I think what you're describing sounds like the south side or shadyside neighborhood, in that order.

The cost of living is unbelievably low here...just take a look at apartments on Craigslist and you'll get an idea. For what I paid for a room in a 3 BR apartment in my hometown of Madison, WI, you can find your own 1 br with a nice kitchen and bathroom for the same price.

Take a look around on this forum for descriptions of various neighborhoods...it's super important to check out areas you're interested in before committing to living there though imo....your time in Pittsburgh can be either great or really disappointing depending on whether or not you've chosen the right part of town to live.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 AM

31 posts, read 67,308 times
Just moved here from Chicago for a gig....

my 2 cents....

As for loving close to the airport - don't do it... nothing out there...well there is if you like ikea/taget and no "urban" feel at all. Things get pretty "country" here once your get about 5 minutes outside of the city. Dont mean that in a bad way as its nice to see trees/open land.

You want to live in either shadyside or squirrel hill (close to forbes/Murray)

People make a big deal out of the "shops" on forbes/murray but in my opinion - there is really nothing there. There are a couple places for food and a bar or two a dry cleaner and the rest is a waste. Nothing work paying a premium to live by but still things to walk to.

I personally went the shadyside route. My wife picked the place and have been pleasanty pleased with the neighborhood. It was on the expensive side of the pitts (j/k) but you can walk to walnut steet (banana republic/j-crew/apple store/ couple bars/overpriced trendy rest.)

The wife found some pretty cool apts - shadyside commons, 1br 2 bath loft-style for $1400. Parking is extra $25.

I will warn you - the lobby does not look anything like pictured but the building is cool and Im happy with the apt. They also took a 6 month lease (extra $50 a month) as we are looking for a place to buy here.

The south side is pretty popular and I have only ventured there once so far (only been here 3 weeeks). Went to a sub-par tapas place (ibiza - dont wast your $$$) but it seems like the hood to go to for bars/nightlife. They have a nice shopping complex - soutside works too.
All the hoods listed here are about a 20 min ride to the airport. Also - say you live in shadyside - you can get to the southside in about 5 min driving. There is also a cool shopping complex called the waterfront.

PM me if you would like anymore input....

Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox View Post
People make a big deal out of the "shops" on forbes/murray but in my opinion - there is really nothing there. There are a couple places for food and a bar or two a dry cleaner and the rest is a waste. Nothing work paying a premium to live by but still things to walk to.
I couldn't agree more. Squirrel Hill's Forbes Avenue has gone downhill over the past few decades.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 AM

31 posts, read 67,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I couldn't agree more. Squirrel Hill's Forbes Avenue has gone downhill over the past few decades.

didnt see it in its prime - but it really could be a cool little strip. Just not there at this point.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox View Post
There is a wide variety of restaurants, a few good bars, places for coffee, a nice library, a couple movie theaters, a grocery store, a bowling alley . . . it adds up to quite a varied selection to have within walking distance in my view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh