Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times

Advertisements

Just for the record, I was referring to camping at Point State Park specifically. And I would point out that groups asking to do so is not the same as "Point State Park is going to become a tent city housing protestors and police together." That's what I was reacting to. There had already been, from what I recall, permit approval for a protest rally at the Point on Wednesday. There has not been approval of any camping. I think it would be unwise to do so, at least at the Point.

I also agree with those who wonder why protesters should be accorded special privileges like camping in parks. Freedom of speech and peaceable assembly? Sure, absolutely. Freedom to sleep anywhere you damn well please? No.

As far as protesting the G-20 achieving anything tangible, I'm not sure. I believe that in general it has little to do with the actual meeting and more to do with the large media attention focused on the meeting location. In other words, the G-20 meeting provides a convenient stage, whatever the message may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
I'm amazed how the protesters moan about the lack of jobs and how capitalism is ruining their lives, but how are they able to take off work?

Old 09-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'm amazed how the protesters moan about the lack of jobs and how capitalism is ruining their lives, but how are they able to take off work?
Heh, no, I was thinking they don't work but how are they able to buy a plane ticket? ;-) Most of them probably don't arrive that way, but still, someone ultimately has to buy some gas at least, and I saw reference to buying a plane ticket on one of the linked sites.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
From reading their websites, apparently there are Pittsburgh residents who will be protesting and supporting protesters. They even have a network for housing on large group levels and matching protesters up with city residents willing to let them stay at their house. When I read that, I thought how interesting it is that our area companies have closed down. That means that a certain percentage of local protesters aren't likely to lose incom for their time away from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Heh, no, I was thinking they don't work but how are they able to buy a plane ticket? ;-) Most of them probably don't arrive that way, but still, someone ultimately has to buy some gas at least, and I saw reference to buying a plane ticket on one of the linked sites.
One of the linked sites also mentions Amtrak closing for a few days too. I suppose there are passionate activists who don't support themselves with the typical 9 to 5. However, my biggest concern is the truly down and out who make it here. They may stay in Pittsburgh for an undetermined time. One site even mentions the potential need for long-term house for those who can't leave right away.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:47 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Quote:
One site even mentions the potential need for long-term house for those who can't leave right away.
I wondered if the "long term" aspect wasn't for those who will have to wait for a friend or travelling companion to be released from jail...

On edit: I'll add that when I see references like "direct action", used as a euphamism for criminal behavior, it seems to me that as far as not saying what they really mean, they're every bit as bad as the governments or the corporations they hate so much...

Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When I read that, I thought how interesting it is that our area companies have closed down. That means that a certain percentage of local protesters aren't likely to lose incom for their time away from work.
Oh, well, I suppose a few of them may be in scenarios where they are not forced into unpaid leave days (or using up paid leave days, same thing), but I would think more people interested in protesting are in fact losing income from those closures if they work at such places. Even if the closure is forced by the security measures, which is supposedly the case of the shop manager I talked to, it doesn't ensure that the workers will actually be paid for those days. The more likely cause is a company decision to be closed, but there's no requirement for the company to pay people for those days.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Let's also keep in mind that employment isn't their only issue. They're very focused on healthcare too. That segment includes people who do have jobs.

I personally am very disgusted with healthcare. I would never become an activist, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:53 AM

Health care in terms of the G-20 is pretty much a US-only issue. The protesters are generally looking for things that apply to all countries or at least several of them. It's amazing how much appears to be protest for the sake of protest, though.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:02 AM

I agree that healthcare is a US mostly only issue, but those website links use healthcare as an issue to motivate protesting.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:04 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Protests of this kind aren't particularly known for their ideological coherence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh