Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 01:57 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times

Advertisements

Let's not turn this into a Florida bashing.

But ya, move here dude, it's nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 07:38 PM

89 posts, read 218,118 times
Pittsburgh's nice - we actually have 4 distinct season's here!

A relative of mine had to move to Jacksonville for his job but comes back to Pittsburgh about 5 or 6 times a year because of how much he misses it.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I wouldn't want to live there myself, but Florida has some interesting areas and I hope they can put the state on a more sustainable path.

In any event, I don't think it is crazy at all to choose to live in Pittsburgh. Of course we finally committed to that choice ourselves last year, so I better not!

Old 09-12-2009, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,714 times
Thanks for all the input.The kids (16 and 10) don't want to move but this place is all they know.Moving across the country is always tough but I really think in the long run it's best.Oh yeah, we don't have anything close to Mineo's pizza here.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:00 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
Pittsburgh's cost of living might be cheaper than where you are in FL, so you might win anyway unless you have a job in FL currently that you can't telecommute with.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:28 PM

By the way, here is a column from and about Florida which includes a section on what Florida could learn from Pittsburgh:

It's time to redefine Florida | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

A little sample:

Quote:
Yet, as Florida faces what could become a new normal -- that is, slower growth in coming years -- it might be time to examine what makes a place livable.

Recently, The Economist magazine tapped Pittsburgh as the most livable city in the United States. Not to insult anyone from Pittsburgh, but that seems a bit surprising. It is an old industrial city that has seen its share of financial hardships and difficulties. But apparently, it has found a way out of the doldrums. For one thing, it has looked at its industrial base and chosen to revitalize it, turning brownfields into productive new ventures. It has managed along the way to rank among the nation's top 10 cities with the most environmentally responsible buildings.
. . .
More important, though, Pittsburgh is seen as a city with a clear sense of place and a population that takes pride in its accomplishments. An article in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes that the city lives in the present but loves the past. There is an inherent commitment to making home the very best it can be.

That, it seems, is where Florida is missing out. Too many people who live here treat it as a temporary residence, even if they intend to stay for the rest of their lives. It is considered simply a playground, one to be used and enjoyed without any thought to reinvestment so that it will be here for future generations of sun seekers.
Again, I wish good things for Florida, but it is very interesting to me that the thought that Florida should look to Pittsburgh for some lessons in livability has started to occur to some Floridians.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:10 PM

542 posts, read 991,943 times
I'm not even from Pittsburgh and i want to live there! I don't know how such a major city can have a stigma attached to it for so long. The city itself is beautiful, historic and has great architecture and neighborhoods. The people that I've met have been some of the friendliest and down to earth, especially for a city its size. I plan on coming up in just a few weeks and can't wait! So if you have a chance by all means take it! Pittsburgh needs people to come back. If I wasn't so tied down where I am I'd be there myself.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
I don't know how such a major city can have a stigma attached to it for so long.
I think it comes down to the fact that it takes a long time to reverse a fairly negative reputation built during a period of well over one hundred years. I also would note that it is really only in the last few years that I think things have completely taken off--when I first came here in the 1990s, the city was starting to rebuild from the contraction of the steel industry, but a lot of positive things have happened since then.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think it comes down to the fact that it takes a long time to reverse a fairly negative reputation built during a period of well over one hundred years.
Getting dark before noon is sort of hard to live down! They turned that around fast too. It was like that in the 50s, but totally fixed by the late 60s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I also would note that it is really only in the last few years that I think things have completely taken off--when I first came here in the 1990s, the city was starting to rebuild from the contraction of the steel industry, but a lot of positive things have happened since then.
Downtown was much better in the 70s and 80s. There were tons of shops. The collapse of the steel mills didn't play a big part in changing downtown. What really hurt downtown was the trend of large companies moving to the suburbs.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
I think Florida is a beautiful state, but I'd never live there for many reasons (from weather to the attitude of people). I think Florida needs a more environmentally friendly future that will preserve what makes the state so beautiful and it should stay away from the sprawl which destroys what Florida has. But come on, a little Sun Belt bashing is fun .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh