Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

I've been researching Braddock for the past few days, and I'd like to discuss some things I've discovered that I find concerning.

INVESTORS

There's no doubt that Braddock is going to take off eventually, but I see real estate investors as a significant stumbling block. When searching the Allegheny County Real Estate website, I've discovered that most vacant buildings are owned by investors who have been just sitting on the property. This seems counter productive to investing because Braddock is not going to improve as long a majority of the buildings remain vacant. How these investors think they're going to make money leaving them sit is beyond me. The buildings need to be turned into something useful for the values to rise. Worse yet, many of these investors haven't paid the taxes in years! IMO real estate investors are raping Braddock and partially responsible for holding the town back!

POLITICS

Newspaper articles make it clear that there is little love between Fetterman and the counsel members. The whining and complaining about Fetterman being in the media sounds like petty jealousy. One actually said something along the lines of "we've been helping youth for years, but we've never been in the news." The goal is an obvious attempt to trash Fetterman, but they're the ones who leave a sour image in my mind when I read these newspaper reports.

This seems to me like the typical older, resistent-to-change residents running a town that keeps most of Pittsburgh's river towns from growing. Why can't they see that Braddock went under on their watch? Their wanting to maintain the status quo is going to do more damage than good. One even complains about the murals---that residents don't like them. Well, if Braddock is not already a ghost town, it will certainly be if they have things their way.

There is the complaint that Fetterman isnt' communicating with them. Well, anyone could promote Braddock without their permission. Heck, I could do it. I could go find a company to relocate there without consulting them on my plans until I dumped it at their feet.

I guess most of this conflict was aired in public because of the election. But why don't they realize that airing their dirty laundry will only harm Braddock? People are less likely to invest there or get involved if they know there's a strong resistance to change. Fetterman's media attention is good for Braddock. They sound like squabbling children when they complain about it. Yeah, leave Braddock the way it is because of memories of how it was. That will work! (sarcasm)

FETTERMAN:

Maybe he has some blame for the conflict with Braddock politicans. The complaint that he doesn't communicate with them is similiar to another complaint that is in the comments sections at the end of newspaper articles. I've seen more than one complaint that Fetterman doesn't return people's calls. One even went as far as to say that Fetterman doesn't return calls unless someone has press credentials.

Ironically, I tried to contact Fetterman prior to beginning my research. Unless he's out of town on vacation, I've concluded that he very well may be unreachable. Phone goes directly to voice mail and the mailbox is full. Emails, well, I haven't had a response. If it's true, it's his loss. I have experience dealing with old politicians who are resistant to change. I've been successful in bringing money into these types of towns. I also can arrange for a national/international documentary. The list goes on.

He'll never know about those things if he's elusive. I'm certainly not going to chase him down. Maybe someone else will inspire me to use my connections in another town. It's not like I was dying to get back into the game. I just thought it would be refreshing to work with someone who was progressive instead of constantly fighting the usual politics of small towns in the area. Then again, that's irrelevant because it does seem that Braddock still has those problems based on the newspaper reports that indicate dealing with Braddock politicans will be the farthest thing from refreshing.

But on a personal level, I want to buy property for an art studio. Yeah, I did include that in my email---it's not like I sent emails simply saying 'hey, call me.' Maybe Garfield or Lawrenceville are better suited afterall. Braddock was going to be a risk for my specific goal, but the cheap building prices were going to make it easier to purchase the expensive equipment needed for the studio.

I see a couple of reasons he may be elusive. First, the news reports and comments after articles could be true. Perhaps he is overly focused on the national and international press. If so, that's not really a bad thing. Media attention is a very important aspect to brining money into an area. Second, he may just be overwhelmed, but that's when a person needs to gather a team of talented volunteers and learn to delegate.

HISTORY

I don't know much about Braddock but what I've read on the internet over the past few days. Fetterman claims that Braddock is in decline due to loss of businesses. I'm thinking that's not the entire story. Unlike other old steel towns, Braddock does still have an operating steel mill. If it's closed, that's very recent because newspaper articles say there is an operating steel mill.

I think the decline is mostly due to Braddock not making the adjustment to suburban migration and an inability to control resulting crime inreases. Newspaper articles state that workers for the Braddock steel mill live in the suburbs now. Other articles touch on former residents who moved due to crime, which is still high. I'll BET that the real cause was the area became overloaded with rental property, crime increased, and then businesses closed.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. The place is what it is now and Fetterman has the right plans for turning it around. I'm just annoyed by the simplistic explanation that loss of business was the reason Braddock's decline. The reality is Braddock is very convenient to downtown. It could have become a 'bedroom community' if crime hadn't gotten out of hand. Sharpsburg and Millvale don't have much industry and they're still safe viable communities (even though ugly as hell.) And most of the people who work for Etna's manufacturing companies don't live in Etna, but Etna thrives.

But I guess Fetterman needs to blame it on industry in order to attract industry. Afterall, industry is Braddock's only hope of re-establishing a tax base. With that money, Braddock could afford to put money back into the community starting with a police force that makes more than $8.00/hr and has benefits. When crime goes down, people will move back and property values will increase which will grow the tax base even more.

Those are my random thoughts on Braddock. Feel free to straighten me out if you think I'm off target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 11:25 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
it is hard to get in touch with fetterman, for sure. your best bet is to go somewhere where you know he'll be, and talk to him face to face. when you do that, he's very friendly, approachable, and helpful, especially if you're interested in renting or buying space in braddock. the only problem you may run into is that everyone else is trying to talk to him too, but that problem is more surmountable in person than it is over the phone or e-mail!

this is just speculation, but it seems like a lot of the people who own property in braddock, and maybe some council members, are banking on the mon-fayette expressway coming through and the state buying up their buildings. council in general is definitely more into tearing down old buildings and building new ones, whereas fetterman's camp wants to fix the old ones.

i wish the progressive council members & mayor in wilkinsburg got this much attention! i'm sure the reason that they don't is they're not as unconventional as fetterman, and wilkinsburg isn't as spectacularly decaying as braddock. but the national attention paid to braddock means that the council and opposition candidates just can't get up to as many dirty tricks as politicians can in wilkinsburg without being exposed.

you may well be right that fetterman's explanation for braddock's decline is at best simplistic. although really, these days people aren't that into living next to a steel mill if they can help it. there's been a shift in the way people like towns to be physically structured that wasn't good for old industrial towns, especially ones with active industry.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:22 PM

542 posts, read 991,801 times
On one of my trips there to Pittsburgh I stumbled into Braddock looking for something, I did not expect it to be so run down, but honestly I really didn't know what to expect at all. The only thing I could think was, how sad. You can tell it thrived decades ago but somewhere along the way time just passed it by. It's in an attractive location and has neat old buildings. It's weird because before that trip I had never heard of the place, and after I've heard about it in some national media outlets, I was like, hey I was there! The funny thing is even though it's run down I did not feel unsafe, even being from out of state. It just felt like a blue collar town down on it's luck. I hope it can find it's way back, maybe the way Homestead seems to be doing.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:44 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I don't know much about Braddock but what I've read on the internet over the past few days. Fetterman claims that Braddock is in decline due to loss of businesses. I'm thinking that's not the entire story. Unlike other old steel towns, Braddock does still have an operating steel mill. If it's closed, that's very recent because newspaper articles say there is an operating steel mill.

I think the decline is mostly due to Braddock not making the adjustment to suburban migration and an inability to control resulting crime inreases. Newspaper articles state that workers for the Braddock steel mill live in the suburbs now. Other articles touch on former residents who moved due to crime, which is still high. I'll BET that the real cause was the area became overloaded with rental property, crime increased, and then businesses closed.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. The place is what it is now and Fetterman has the right plans for turning it around. I'm just annoyed by the simplistic explanation that loss of business was the reason Braddock's decline. The reality is Braddock is very convenient to downtown. It could have become a 'bedroom community' if crime hadn't gotten out of hand. Sharpsburg and Millvale don't have much industry and they're still safe viable communities (even though ugly as hell.) And most of the people who work for Etna's manufacturing companies don't live in Etna, but Etna thrives.

But I guess Fetterman needs to blame it on industry in order to attract industry. Afterall, industry is Braddock's only hope of re-establishing a tax base. With that money, Braddock could afford to put money back into the community starting with a police force that makes more than $8.00/hr and has benefits. When crime goes down, people will move back and property values will increase which will grow the tax base even more.

Those are my random thoughts on Braddock. Feel free to straighten me out if you think I'm off target.
I agree. If you look at other communities that have lost businesses, they aren't as bad as Braddock, as far as crime. Glassport is depressed in the Mon Valley, but crime is much lower and there is at least some business there (they even have a grocery store!)

Old 09-13-2009, 07:19 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
I feel that Broddock's other problem is it's population loss and the population loss of the entire area. Broddock will never have the population it once did and I think it may be beneficial for the town to look into what was done in Youngstown and completely tear down mostly run down abandoned sections.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it is hard to get in touch with fetterman, for sure. your best bet is to go somewhere where you know he'll be, and talk to him face to face. when you do that, he's very friendly, approachable, and helpful, especially if you're interested in renting or buying space in braddock. the only problem you may run into is that everyone else is trying to talk to him too, but that problem is more surmountable in person than it is over the phone or e-mail!
Thanks, groar. I have had indirect contact with him since posting this thread. (Gotta love City Data!) Turns out you're right. He is very in-demand but still very interested in talking to anyone who is interested in Braddock. I'm comfident we will meet in the near future. I plan to head down to Braddock for an art or community event.

Quote:
this is just speculation, but it seems like a lot of the people who own property in braddock, and maybe some council members, are banking on the mon-fayette expressway coming through and the state buying up their buildings. council in general is definitely more into tearing down old buildings and building new ones, whereas fetterman's camp wants to fix the old ones.
That's such a shame. The freeway is the worse thing that could happen to Braddock. Tearing a town in half for a highway is never good. Look what 279 did to North Side!

Quote:
i wish the progressive council members & mayor in wilkinsburg got this much attention! i'm sure the reason that they don't is they're not as unconventional as fetterman, and wilkinsburg isn't as spectacularly decaying as braddock.
While Fetterman's unconventionalism may be a natural draw, many small town politicians can attract attention if they actively court the media. When I brought CNN into a local town, I had less problems with the polticians than with the religious volunteers. The politicians recognized the importance of media; whereas, the religious volunteers were too idealistic and felt that people should help because it was the right thing to do. They couldn't comprehend the importance of give and take when it comes to getting media attention and funding. It's rare to raise significant funds without giving something in return. You have to appeal to the needs of potential donors and organizations---this is what I can do for you if you help us. And having media attention is a huge bargaining chip when seeking funds. If you can promise press coverage, you can sway many organizations, corporations, and individuals with the right approach.

Quote:
but the national attention paid to braddock means that the council and opposition candidates just can't get up to as many dirty tricks as politicians can in wilkinsburg without being exposed.
I never thought about that possibility! Interesting angle!

Quote:
you may well be right that fetterman's explanation for braddock's decline is at best simplistic. although really, these days people aren't that into living next to a steel mill if they can help it. there's been a shift in the way people like towns to be physically structured that wasn't good for old industrial towns, especially ones with active industry.
That's why Fetterman is on the right path. Young people are less likely to be drawn to subdivision suburbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
On one of my trips there to Pittsburgh I stumbled into Braddock looking for something, I did not expect it to be so run down, but honestly I really didn't know what to expect at all. The only thing I could think was, how sad. You can tell it thrived decades ago but somewhere along the way time just passed it by. It's in an attractive location and has neat old buildings. It's weird because before that trip I had never heard of the place, and after I've heard about it in some national media outlets, I was like, hey I was there! The funny thing is even though it's run down I did not feel unsafe, even being from out of state. It just felt like a blue collar town down on it's luck. I hope it can find it's way back, maybe the way Homestead seems to be doing.
Homestead could have had a faster start if the Waterfront development hadn't been isolated from Homestead. They mounded earth and planted trees to create a barrier---hiding Homestead. If there had been a seamless development, Homstead's main street would have flourished with small retail shops snatching up affordable store front. Why don't developers think this stuff through!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I agree. If you look at other communities that have lost businesses, they aren't as bad as Braddock, as far as crime. Glassport is depressed in the Mon Valley, but crime is much lower and there is at least some business there (they even have a grocery store!)
Exactly. If crime were high in Glassport, the grocery store would have closed. But Fetterman's work with the Braddock youth could very well be reducing crime in the area---by inspiring community pride. I wonder if Braddock has thought to seek the help of neighboring districts for police coverage. That's fairly common in the northern districts. The police departments provide extra coverage to neighboring towns with small forces. It's good for the overall stability of an area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I feel that Broddock's other problem is it's population loss and the population loss of the entire area. Broddock will never have the population it once did
Nobody is expecting 20k. But if Pittsbugh's entire metropolitian area booms, Braddock very well could reach those numbers some day. Never say never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
and I think it may be beneficial for the town to look into what was done in Youngstown and completely tear down mostly run down abandoned sections.
I completely disagree. I was checking out Braddock via google maps and it's clear Braddock has already lost many buildings. I respect wanting to preserve the architecture. Braddock has some beautiful buildings!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
yeah, the waterfront has done pretty much squat for homestead's main drag. if anything, it's killed it even more. it's a successful development, but it's almost literally walled off from the town proper. i don't think braddock would benefit from something like that, except maybe in tax revenues. often developers demand sweetheart deals and tax abatements to come into a town though.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:56 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Quote:
yeah, the waterfront has done pretty much squat for homestead's main drag. if anything, it's killed it even more. it's a successful development, but it's almost literally walled off from the town proper. i don't think braddock would benefit from something like that, except maybe in tax revenues. often developers demand sweetheart deals and tax abatements to come into a town though.
I think one of the main problems with Homestead is it doesn't have too much to offer on the main drag (until you get closer to Shop n Save, but I think that's Munhall down there. If Homestead can get some businesses that can appeal to a larger spectrum of people that may help.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:10 PM

Homestead/Munhall would have attracted many businesses if the Waterfront development wasn't separated from the main street.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:39 PM

133 posts, read 391,859 times
You mention that the real estate investors are mostly just sitting on their properties. My guess on that is that they know the amount they can get for rent won't begin to cover the amount they'll have to put into the houses. For that reason, most are likely letting them sit until there are signs of people moving in so they think they can actually get renters. And renters that will/can actually pay the rent every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh