Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:12 PM

294 posts, read 661,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I always thought it was well known that Fox Chapel and Sewickley Heights were by far the wealthiest areas in the region. Mt Lebanon has areas that are comparable, but Mt. Lebanon has significant areas of modest housing that contains a lower middle class population, and that drags their overall numbers down. I would guess that Virginia Manor compares very well with FC, and SH.

Its the same with Sewickley Borough, If you took out all of the renters, the per-capita income would probably be nearly as high as Sewickley Heights. I assume that it is a somewhat similar situation in Mt. Lebanon.

Fox Chapel and Sewickley Heights are mostly rural areas, no commercial shopping or downtowns and none of the higher density residential zoning that goes along with it. So naturally, this is going allow for their per-capita/ median incomes to remain very high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I never said anything about crime.

I was informed in another thread that many upper middle class families don't want their children associating with lower class and impoverished children.

There are no impoverished people in these towns. There is nothing to worry about.

Quote:
So what? He's a man who made a bunch of money playing hockey. I'm not going to resort to name dropping.
I mentioned him to prove that QV is a safe school, since many people know who he is. There is no need to get defensive.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,460,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
There are no impoverished people in these towns. There is nothing to worry about.
You're sadly mistaken.

Leetsdale: About 9.6% of families and 12.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.1% of those under age 18 and 10.2% of those age 65 or over.

Haysville: There were 9.5% of families and 17.3% of the population living below the poverty line, including 23.1% of under eighteen and 12.5% of those over 64.

Those poverty statistics are worse than Etna and Millvale and more in line with Sharpsburg which has significant poverty. Furthermore, BELOW POVERTY LINE is a very low measure. The percentage of people who are living in poverty are much higher. The free lunch programs provide free lunch to children whose family incomes are below 130% above the poverty line and reduced lunches for children whose families are between 130% and 185%. That means a majority of the the children in Leetsdale and Haysville qualify for the federal lunch program.

It's sad you're not in touch with your community. You really should consider doing some volunteer work.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:00 PM

1,979 posts, read 5,238,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by striegel View Post
Our family will be relocating soon to the Pittsburgh area for my job. I grew up in Whitehall and graduated from Pitt but left after college in 1985, so I don't know the area like I used to.

Does anybody know both cities well enough to say what areas are similar today? (For example, to compare Shaker Heights to Squirrel Hill or Mount Lebanon)

We'd really like to find someplace north of downtown (my office will be in Cranberry) that's similar to what we have and enjoy here. Our home is in Russell Township, just outside of Chagrin Falls.

Also, are there any grocery stores to compare with Heinen's?
Sewickley is similar to Chagrin Falls.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're sadly mistaken.

Leetsdale: About 9.6% of families and 12.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.1% of those under age 18 and 10.2% of those age 65 or over.

Haysville: There were 9.5% of families and 17.3% of the population living below the poverty line, including 23.1% of under eighteen and 12.5% of those over 64.

Those poverty statistics are worse than Etna and Millvale and more in line with Sharpsburg which has significant poverty. Furthermore, BELOW POVERTY LINE is a very low measure. The percentage of people who are living in poverty are much higher. The free lunch programs provide free lunch to children whose family incomes are below 130% above the poverty line and reduced lunches for children whose families are between 130% and 185%. That means a majority of the the children in Leetsdale and Haysville qualify for the federal lunch program.

It's sad you're not in touch with your community. You really should consider doing some volunteer work.

That's interesting, I don't live in either of these towns but apparently I should be "in touch" with those communities according to some Hampton soccer mom... too funny.

It is obvious that you take this site way too seriously, which is funny since you presented only partially accurate information in order to make an ill-conceived point.

Apparently, when you searched for poverty statistics on Wikipedia, you forgot to learn a little bit about the places that you were checking out.

Haysville is the tiniest municipality in Allegheny county, it has 78 people in the entire town. The majority of the town was leveled by way of eminent domain in order to clear the way for I-79 to be built, and all that remains is a line of houses along the Ohio River. This means that 17.3% of the population comes out to... a grand total of 13 people. This comes out to around 2 people under 18 at or below the poverty line. Wow, that sounds like a real cesspool of endless poverty down there, doesn't it?

Leetsdale, while not nearly as small, is still within the top 5 smallest municipalities in the county.

Its obvious that you are having trouble comprehending the immense municipal fragmentation of the QV School District. This can make certain areas appear poorer than they really are, because a couple small town boundaries include mostly small poorer areas.

A little simple math, however, can lead to a fairer comparison with other school districs. The total population of the 11 municipalities within the QVSD is 13,370 (via 2000 census), with 715 of those people below the poverty line. So that comes out to approx. 5.3% of the school district being below the poverty line. Which, hilariously I might add, comes out to only 50 or so more "impoverished" people than in all of similarly sized, entirely suburban Hampton.

This percentage is in line with the demographics of most upper-middle class suburban school districts.

Sadly mistaken... indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh