Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes
Okay, then. Who dares to go downtown with me to check it out tomorrow?

I'm thinking about it! My adventurous side wants to get out there and observe all the action, but part of me thinks it may just be best to shut myself into my apartment until Saturday ...
A) Let's don't anybody do anything stupid.

B) Getting anywhere near the action unless you are absolutely required to be, would be the epitome of stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 05:11 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm just not going to take this sitting down. Who are these Moderate Voice people?!?!?!?
Well the author is someone named simply "Elrod" who isn't listed among their writers so I can't find any credentials (at least in the few minutes I was willing to look.) Anyway, I think his whole premise is flawed. His reasoning is that Pittsburgh had a huge impact on the building of areas around the Appalchian region, which in itself is true, but the article makes it sound as though that impact just stopped at the borders of the Appalachian region, and that without Pittsburgh, other areas in Appalachia wouldn't exist. The latter is a bit of a chicken and egg exercise, and using the former, you could just as easily argue that Pittsburgh is the capital of the world because Pittsburgh steel and the bridge engineers at American Bridge Company built many of skyscrapers and bridges throughout the world during the industrial revolution. So the whole thing is just an exercise in trying to tie a title on the city by someone who might have some sort of knowledge or could just be a someone in the PJs typing on the internet. (Like me...)

Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i've also been going back and forth on going downtown to check things out. i'm credentialed to go into the innermost security perimeter (besides the g20 itself). but i know how easy it is to get arrested at these things if you go anywhere near the protesters.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
A) Let's don't anybody do anything stupid.

B) Getting anywhere near the action unless you are absolutely required to be, would be the epitome of stupid.
We know. Reason will prevail. It's just driving me crazy that there's no information!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
...but i know how easy it is to get arrested at these things if you go anywhere near the protesters.
I'm less concerned with getting arrested and more concerned with getting hit by the police.

Why can't we wear shirts that say "Pittsburgh Citizen Observer" or "Pittsburgh Citizen on the Sidelines" or "Just Watching, Not Protesting"

Old 09-24-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Well the author is someone named simply "Elrod" who isn't listed among their writers so I can't find any credentials (at least in the few minutes I was willing to look.) Anyway, I think his whole premise is flawed. His reasoning is that Pittsburgh had a huge impact on the building of areas around the Appalchian region, which in itself is true, but the article makes it sound as though that impact just stopped at the borders of the Appalachian region, and that without Pittsburgh, other areas in Appalachia wouldn't exist. The latter is a bit of a chicken and egg exercise, and using the former, you could just as easily argue that Pittsburgh is the capital of the world because Pittsburgh steel and the bridge engineers at American Bridge Company built many of skyscrapers and bridges throughout the world during the industrial revolution.
Since Pittsburgh is in one of the first colonies, I get how Pittsburgh contributed towards populating the immediate Appalachian areas such as West Virginia. However, Pittsburgh also played a part in populating Ohio and farther West too.

Back to the whole "Capital" concept. Even if it were true that Pittsburgh historically had a huge impact, that doesn't make it a capital any more than Philadelphia would be the capital of Pennsylvania or even the Capital of the United States. Yet Harrisburg is the Capital of Pennsylvania and Washington DC is the Capital of the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
So the whole thing is just an exercise in trying to tie a title on the city by someone who might have some sort of knowledge or could just be a someone in the PJs typing on the internet. (Like me...)
I'd much rather read your thoughts over Elrods!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:58 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Okay, then. Who dares to go downtown with me to check it out tomorrow?
I am kicking myself over and over for not taking these two days off, but I'd probably end up getting myself in a situation I wish I hadn't in the end. Last night, on my way home, I made a few stops to get some pictures of the sights. I was just about home and for some reason decided to head down by Pitt and CMU, and was glad I did. I ran in to a group of peaceful young people marching up Forbes Ave. Sure enough, a long line of police cars and Budget Rental vans full of police in riot gear were following them, along with a helicopter over head. On one hand, I understand the police trying to stay ahead of any situation that would/could cause a threat, but on the other hand, I had to laugh, because they were a friendly bunch of kids who were marching and chanting peacefully up the street.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:13 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
I'm less concerned with getting arrested and more concerned with getting hit by the police.

Why can't we wear shirts that say "Pittsburgh Citizen Observer" or "Pittsburgh Citizen on the Sidelines" or "Just Watching, Not Protesting"
you could talk to the aclu about being an observer for them and getting a nice orange helmet, although that doesn't necessarily mean you won't be arrested/beaten!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I made a few stops to get some pictures of the sights.
You should post them!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:36 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I wonder if all this will hurt the Pirates attendance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh