Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 06:38 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I wonder if all this will hurt the Pirates attendance?
Hahaha, funny you should ask. I heard in the sportscast that they expect only a 1/3 of those who actually already purchased tickets. Who knows though, maybe some of our visitors will catch today's game, or tomorrows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 06:40 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
i think the prime minister of japan might be throwing out the first pitch at one of the games!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:47 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i think the prime minister of japan might be throwing out the first pitch at one of the games!
Ya, actually now that you say something, I heard that too.

Last edited by dugdogmaster; 09-24-2009 at 06:55 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 06:53 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,541,508 times
Maybe some of the Greenpeace guys will rappel off the light towers.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why does Pittsburgh have to be the Capital of Appalachia? There are plenty of other cities in Appalachia!
I'd argue there are actually two different Appalachian regions, a northeast part and a southwest part, with Pittsburgh being Capital of Northeast Appalachia and Knoxville being Capital of Southwest Appalachia.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Back to the whole "Capital" concept. Even if it were true that Pittsburgh historically had a huge impact, that doesn't make it a capital any more than Philadelphia would be the capital of Pennsylvania or even the Capital of the United States. Yet Harrisburg is the Capital of Pennsylvania and Washington DC is the Capital of the United States.
In the case of Pittsburgh, my argument would essentially be based on the same factors cited in this article about the "Pittsburgh Tri-State", which actually includes parts of up to six states:

Pittsburgh Tri-State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Tri-State area is a US region that is centered around the transportation, medical, academic, economic, media and federal resources based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This definition has also been adopted by many corporate regional offices in eastern Ohio, western Pennsylvania, and northern portions of West Virginia. Although out of the logical "Tri-State" a few western counties of Maryland and the extreme southwestern corner of New York state are usually included; the extreme northeastern part of Kentucky is also occasionally included. . . .

[T]he Pittsburgh Tri-State is united in the fact that many cable systems carry Pittsburgh-based media, Pittsburgh professional sports teams have affiliate radio stations and substantial fanbases, the areas use the Pittsburgh International Airport as their major gateway to the world, and Pittsburgh hospitals such as Allegheny General and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center for major surgery or trauma. Pittsburgh television affiliates and FSN Pittsburgh (with rights to the Pittsburgh Penguins, Pittsburgh Pirates, and many Pittsburgh Steelers shows) reach much of this area.

The Pittsburgh Tri-State area can also be defined through the federally designated areas served by the Pittsburgh district of the Army Corps of Engineers, the Pittsburgh branch of the Federal Reserve Bank, the FBI and several other federal and national organizations.
So I would say that Pittsburgh serves as a de facto capital for this region on this basis (de facto because it doesn't enjoy that position as a matter of law, but nonetheless serves the same purposes of a primary capital in many respects). Note this only motivates calling it the de facto capital for the northeast portion of Appalachia, hence my claim above.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
This G20 liveblog from a UK newspaper is interesting G20 Pittsburgh summit live | World news | guardian.co.uk

Note the times are UK time, so subtract 5 hours

Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
This G20 liveblog from a UK newspaper is interesting G20 Pittsburgh summit live | World news | guardian.co.uk

Note the times are UK time, so subtract 5 hours
Fantastic link--it is always interesting to me to get international perspectives on this sort of event.

I am disappointed, however, that it isn't coming live from the future.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:16 AM

From that link, I thought this article about Michelle Obama's hosting program in Pittsburgh was quite interesting:

Michelle Obama's turn as G-20 hostess in chief - Nia-Malika Henderson - POLITICO.com

Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Also P-G is updating this fairly well post-gazette.com

And Reuters: G20 | Reuters.com

And this is working again: http://www.g20buzz.com/ (The Twitter stopped at one point. Lots of pics, yes, Walnut St really is all boarded up.)

And I'm following the scanner. Geez. Train wreck, really. I'm sure I have a few better things to do today, but I just can't....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh