Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:05 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Haha. I just have noticed that people in general notice and look at stuff (or other people) that they don't normally see. I didn't mean anything offensive and I repeat my assertions that you should experience no trouble here (especially in Mt. Lebo).
It's cool, I'm sure you didn't mean any bad intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 8,366 times
this is all great stuff TY all for the replies. It seems as I read about the strong family roots and the older population representing a majority of the people there in Pittsburgh, I wonder about their views on Hispanics. Really, since we have been married 4 years now, I have found that it is usually the older generation that might give an uncomfortable look or perhaps display a behavior to make you believe they are racist.
Since Pitt is so full of older people, do you think they may have a different perspective than what the responses are on this thread?

Old 09-19-2009, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 8,366 times
TY for the info. May I ask if your male or female and what area do you live in? I think Hispanic males have more chance for racism than female Hispanics. Maybe not, but just wondering?

TY

Old 09-19-2009, 11:21 AM

323 posts, read 834,868 times
You left out the mexican drug mules from Beaver County.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:42 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
There are certainly enclaves of older people in Pittsburgh who may not have the most progressive views on ethnicity (to put it mildly). But it is actually remarkably easy not to have a ton of interaction with such people--for good or ill, our microneighborhood structure allows for people to pretty much segregate themselves if they feel like it. So, the older people who want to be isolated from people of different ethnicities can do that, and meanwhile you can pretty much live your life in the neighborhoods where people don't care.

By the way, of course some older people can be extremely progressive on these issues, particularly now that people who came of age in the 1960s are starting to count as older.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
How old do you consider old? Guess I'd like to know before I tell you how old I am!

Old 09-19-2009, 03:14 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragazza2007 View Post
TY for the info. May I ask if your male or female and what area do you live in? I think Hispanic males have more chance for racism than female Hispanics. Maybe not, but just wondering?

TY
I'm male, but I'm only 23 so I'm probably younger than most of the posters on here. I live in Greensburg which is a little ways out of the city but it's still considered a part of Pittsburgh. I shall also note that the further you go out of the city (I'm talking farm country) the more prejudice you are likely to find but that's few and far between and not everywhere you go. Like in many other cities of its size, there's going to be a mix of different ethnicities, moreso in Pittsburgh because of its industrial heritage.

Last edited by neurodistortion; 09-19-2009 at 03:24 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 AM

222 posts, read 438,914 times
My opinion I feel that the Hispanic population is growing. I go to La Reyna's on the strip district where you can find Latin foods like tortillas,Goya products, fresh Mexican cheeses, etc. They even sell the Mexican coke in glass bottles that is made from cane sugar. Yummy LOL Anyways we are small in numbers right now but we are growing. I'm actually Mexican and Italian btw.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRANGEL09 View Post
My opinion I feel that the Hispanic population is growing. I go to La Reyna's on the strip district where you can find Latin foods like tortillas,Goya products, fresh Mexican cheeses, etc. They even sell the Mexican coke in glass bottles that is made from cane sugar. Yummy LOL Anyways we are small in numbers right now but we are growing. I'm actually Mexican and Italian btw.

Thanks for the tip, I'm a Cokeaholic and haven't had a REAL one in years.

Mexican and Italian, now that should make for interesting dinners. Or is that politically incorrect for me to say?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:40 AM

78 posts, read 217,724 times
I play soccer a few times a week at Schenley park @ The Oval. There are many many hispanics that play there each night. Way more than I thought were in Pittsburgh. To me it is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh