Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 05:56 AM

7 posts, read 24,513 times

Advertisements

I am new to Pittsburgh. We are in the Crofton neighborhood opposite the Fox Chapel High School.
Can anyone suggest how I can go about finding any local sitters? A local high school student would work out well but I just don't know how to get in contact with any one who may be interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 08:54 AM

261 posts, read 1,300,389 times
Admittedly this was many years ago, so the rules may now have changed, but when I was looking for a babysitter for my 3 and 6 year olds, I contact the local high school (North Allegheny) and they put my name on a list of potential employers for those kids who were taking their child care classes. I also found one through CCAC (the advantage of that being that anyone can wander in and put stuff on their bulletin boards - which I suppose could also be a disadvantage -refs are vital) but I don't know that there is a campus near you.

Fox Chapel does pull from some less well off areas so you might sweeten the deal by offering to provide to and from transport upfront.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Parents are weird about letting their teenagers babysit for people they dont' know. There's good reason because there are many disfunctional families even in the best of neighborhoods. For example, years ago I babysat for a woman that didn't come home----at all. It was a school night. My mother came over at 7am to continue watching the children so I could get to school. When the mother didn't turn up by Noon, my mother called Children & Youth Services.

Most schools and churches won't give out teenagers names for babysitting if they don't know who you are.

My best advice is to start making friends by being involved in church and other community activities. You'll eventually meet people who have older children that might want to babysit. Ask your neighbors too. There MIGHT be a teenager in the housing plan that likes to babysit. Also, check the bulletin board at the Giant Eagle in Waterworks. If someone hasn't posted a flier, you can post your own. The library is another good place to leave a flier.

You could also find another family with children your age and trade watching for one another. I realize you're new to the area, but you could meet women with children your age by joining a mother's group. You can find them by google search.

Unfortunately, many teenagers don't babysit since they have no need for money since their parents hand it to them---especially in Fox Chapel. I know one doctor in Fox Chapel had to import his babysitters by hiring his employees' teenagers to watch his children.

I guess we just stumbled upon the downside of living in Fox Chapel. If you don't employ a nanny, it's hard to find teenage babysitters in the area.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:34 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
People who work in the local daycares sometimes also do babysitting at night. So you could try asking around to find parents who like their daycare people, and then see if they will sit for you.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:14 PM

7 posts, read 24,513 times
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I have asked neighbors, my real estate agent and a few other people I know so far. I will try the high school and the library etc next.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:13 PM

66 posts, read 226,635 times
Try care.com, nannies4hire.com or Craigslist. Care.com does list 'babysitters" I believe. There are also some career nannies that offer their services on an as needed/occasional basis. You could also try Rent-A-Mom,412-722-9445, pghrentamom@aol.com they have a temp service and have nannies available for occasional assignments. (I hope that info is up to date.)

Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 AM

356 posts, read 916,523 times
I had good luck this summer with a college student who placed an add on Craig's list. I used the University website to confirm that she was in fact a student and she provided references that I kind of checked. I'm currently in the process of screening another college student from Criag's list. A college student is going to be more expensive than a high school student (I think $10-12/ hour vs. $7-8 per hour).

I do think high school students and mature Jr. high kids who babysit are hard to find. In 6 years of parenting, I have only met one (through church). Our sitters have always been daycare teachers or college students (graduate and ungrads).

Old 09-22-2009, 09:26 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
There is a group called the Fox Chapel Area Newcomers Club or something like that. They have a website. I would look into joining it and maybe another mother could give you a name. However, some people are sort of protective of babysitters. Basically, they don't want someone to steal "their" babysitter.

I would also start walking around the neighborhood before the weather gets too cold and you may be able to make some contacts that way.

Also, I have a friend who hired a Duquesne Grad Studen as a mother's helper several days a week. She found them by posting something at the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh