Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 AM

8 posts, read 12,105 times

Advertisements

end of last year i told the land lord that the bathroom sink fixture was running and that the shutoff valve under the sink was stuck and then in march 2009 she came to inspect and she seen that the water was running pretty good. now its almost october and its still not fixed and all that water just been going down the drain (i dont pay for water the company i rent from does) i called them the other day and they said there still waiting for the sink fixture. i overheard another tennet say there bathroom door was stuck and that they had to break it in to get there little kid out and they was there the same day to fix it.i dont know what to do. do i call h.u.d as this place is hud approved do i call the water company since i told them end of last yr that it was running probably over a million gallons of water has been wasted. if i do the repair which i can am i allowed to with hold the cost of the fixture plus my labor costs from the rent or do i just keep waiting till they fix it? i dont really want to call hud or the water company and they tell the landlord who called them and me and my wife and our 3 kids would be evicted cause i called someone on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Don't with hold rent. You could end up being evicted.

Pay your rent and find the appropriate housing authority that handles sub standard rental property issues and file a formal complaint.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 AM

can they evict us for complaining to someone with more power then me?

Old 09-29-2009, 09:31 AM

Less likely unless they have a clause in the lease that says the landlord has the right to evict a tenant for no specific reason. So, as long as you don't violate the terms of the lease, legally they cannot evict you. Read it to be sure you have not violated a single term and you should be OK.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 AM

thanxs for the info.. i pay my rent on time and i never violated anything in the lease i just been hearing people getting evicted cause they called hud to complain bout something that hasnt been fixed and it cost them money so they evicted the people cause they called hud. i might call them agian and ask if they got that sink fixture yet.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 AM

A lot of sleazy landlords like to take advantage of lower income tenants. They know that they don't have the money to hire an attorney to go after them and they take advantage of the situation.

How about a Class Action lawsuit? :-) If this is happening to a lot of current and former tenants you may be able to find an attorney to do it for free. Or if you have a dozen current and former tenants that can pony up some cash, you can find someone to take on the landlord.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:42 AM

ill have to ask around if this is going on with others but i just called my landlord and they said it takes 7 to 8 months yea she said months to get any kind of fixture sent to them from florida.i dont know if they are just saying that to not spend the money to fix it or if its true. the main company is in flordia tho. and they got bout 200 company houses where i live.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
you can withhold rent, although i don't know if this situation would legally warrant it. but you have to put the money in an escrow account until the matter is settled, and properly notify your landlord in writing of what you're doing.

most cities have a tenants' rights organization that helps people with things like this for free but in the past when i was trying to find things out for friends i could only find one that was for pitt students. i'll see what i can dig up now.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
ah weird, it was incredibly easy to find information this time!

Allegheny County Attorney - Pittsburgh PA Landlord Tenant Dispute Lawyer (http://www.alleghenyattorneys.com/landlord.asp - broken link)

at the bottom of the page there is contact info for someone who can answer your questions.

i have a feeling that you may not be able to withhold rent in this situation because the problem does not make the apartment uninhabitable. but this guy will be able to tell you for sure.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
ah weird, it was incredibly easy to find information this time!

Allegheny County Attorney - Pittsburgh PA Landlord Tenant Dispute Lawyer (http://www.alleghenyattorneys.com/landlord.asp - broken link)

at the bottom of the page there is contact info for someone who can answer your questions.

i have a feeling that you may not be able to withhold rent in this situation because the problem does not make the apartment uninhabitable. but this guy will be able to tell you for sure.
thanxs im looking at the site now and will call him. thanxs again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh