Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 PM

94 posts, read 289,617 times

Advertisements

I recently returned to my homestate of Ohio after living in Pittsburgh for 2 years, so I can offer some perspective on this. I have shared many of the frustrations of the OP, but I enjoyed some things as well. I enjoyed going to PNC Park, walking around the strip district, and south side was fun (though got old sometimes)

It wasn't a place that I could see myself spending the rest of my life, though, so I left. I'm kinda just burned out on the midwest in general, so I didn't really give it enough of a chance. I've lived around these parts my whole life, and would like to see something different. A move to Pittsburgh just didn't seem "adventurous" enough, but it's really not a bad place to live, especially when the weather is nice. I really enjoyed the kayaking in the summertime down by PNC Park.

People say on here that families all live close together and never leave. My girlfriend is from the area (and is still there--we are currently long distance). She nor anyone else in her family has ever lived anyplace else. She is absolutely terrified to leave the area, as she will become the first person to ever do so from her family. She knows that I don't want to live there longterm, though, so we reached a compromise.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:48 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
'

BBC NEWS | Americas | US mayor strikes unconventional note
People's Weekly World - Future for the Mon Valley? ‘Hell doesn’t have to last forever!’ (http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/16989/ - broken link)
Installation reflects two women's different experiences of growing up in Braddock
Pop Star: John Fetterman
A Call to Arms - Braddock Mayor John Fetterman Wears His Allegiances on His Sleeve - Main Feature - Main Feature - Pittsburgh City Paper
John Fetterman: “The Pissed-Off Avenging Angel of the Rust Belt” | Rust Wire
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/us...ml?_r=2&src=tp
Mayor John Fetterman of Braddock Pennsylvania interviews with Solutions about his Support of a Carbon Cap - The Cap Solution - Environmental Defense Fund 1
Badass mayor builds bridges between working class and enviros | Grist

yeah, nothing much.
I know all about Fetterman and what he is trying to do and I commend him, but until his dreams materialize and Braddock gets turned around, I wouldn't be caught dead there. It's a dump and full of drug dealers and addicts.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:54 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Steeler View Post
No offense to a fellow fan, but U2 are playing in Norman OK!!! A third of the population of Pitt.

I do like NIN, do they come here?
Dude, you have not stated in any of your posts what your likes and dislikes are, just negative comments about whats missing from the Burgh, so how can anyony give you direction to what you might like. I think you are here just to stir things up.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:29 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,670,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I know all about Fetterman and what he is trying to do and I commend him, but until his dreams materialize and Braddock gets turned around, I wouldn't be caught dead there. It's a dump and full of drug dealers and addicts.
that's nice, and it's your decision if you want to be involved or not. but there obviously IS something going on in braddock. and his dreams are not going to materialize until some people are brave enough to move, work, and start businesses there (which many people already have done).

Old 09-23-2009, 05:31 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,670,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Dude, you have not stated in any of your posts what your likes and dislikes are, just negative comments about whats missing from the Burgh, so how can anyony give you direction to what you might like. I think you are here just to stir things up.
agreed. i and other people have made several posts being positive and making suggestions for things for the OP to check out, and we've been totally ignored.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
There's a wine dealer out on Camp Horne Road in the North Hills. And PA isn't unique in the way it sells alcohol in state stores. VA and WA do too, although they sell only hard liquor and beer and wine are still available everywhere else. I'm pretty sick of hearing people complain about how inconvenient it is to buy alcohol here. Be glad your drug of choice is legal in the first place. If the government is going to control what you can put in your body, alcohol should be pretty far up the list, what with the fact that it actually kills brain cells, unlike so many other substances contrary to popular belief. Ingrates.
Oh please. The state store system doesn't control alcohol any more than a non-state-owned system does. The only difference is it makes extra money for the state. In return, you get no service from state employees that have a cushy job with top benefits and still can barely be pleasant towards customers. State stores are like the Turnpike commission, a redundant bureaucracy with no purpose except to perpetuate itself.

If you feel so strongly about it maybe you should move across the city limits to Bellevue where it's still illegal to sell alcohol. I'm sure nobody there has an alcohol problem. We proved decades ago that making it illegal achieves nothing. Learn from history rather than suggest we repeat it.

BTW, the place at Camp Horne and some other places around (one in Wexford at Soergel Orchards, for example) are outlets of Pennsylvania wineries. These are allowed to sell direct. The Camp Horne one is a little unusual in that it they sell wines from two PA wineries and have some setup to import one specific family winery from Italy. It's closer, perhaps, but still not really like an independent wine store. Otherwise these outlets sell wines from just one PA winery. The largest concentration of PA wineries is in the Lake Erie area, but there are a few local ones.

(I suppose we should break this topic out of this thread if there's going to be ongoing discussion.)

Old 09-23-2009, 06:32 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Oh please. The state store system doesn't control alcohol any more than a non-state-owned system does. The only difference is it makes extra money for the state. In return, you get no service from state employees that have a cushy job with top benefits and still can barely be pleasant towards customers. State stores are like the Turnpike commission, a redundant bureaucracy with no purpose except to perpetuate itself.

If you feel so strongly about it maybe you should move across the city limits to Bellevue where it's still illegal to sell alcohol. I'm sure nobody there has an alcohol problem. We proved decades ago that making it illegal achieves nothing. Learn from history rather than suggest we repeat it.

BTW, the place at Camp Horne and some other places around (one in Wexford at Soergel Orchards, for example) are outlets of Pennsylvania wineries. These are allowed to sell direct. The Camp Horne one is a little unusual in that it they sell wines from two PA wineries and have some setup to import one specific family winery from Italy. It's closer, perhaps, but still not really like an independent wine store. Otherwise these outlets sell wines from just one PA winery. The largest concentration of PA wineries is in the Lake Erie area, but there are a few local ones.

(I suppose we should break this topic out of this thread if there's going to be ongoing discussion.)

Dude, I highly recommend brushing up on the ol' reading comprehension. I'm not sure how anybody could have gotten that I was pro-Prohibition of anything out of that post.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:50 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,329 times
Default Clarification

While it's stupid for the government to tell anybody what they can put in their bodies (meaning, anything), or even what they can take OUT of their bodies (another thread, another time), it's the height of hypocrisy for alcohol to be OK and accepted when it's worse than many illegal substances. The main point being that, while it should be sold (along with anything and everything else) in more places, it's a tiresome complaint that it's inconvienient to have to buy it in certain stores, in certain quantities when people should be happy they can buy it somewhere without fear of arrest. Therefore, right on topic for a thread (or even a forum) that seems to be about people complaining. Better?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:03 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
While it's stupid for the government to tell anybody what they can put in their bodies (meaning, anything), or even what they can take OUT of their bodies (another thread, another time), it's the height of hypocrisy for alcohol to be OK and accepted when it's worse than many illegal substances. The main point being that, while it should be sold (along with anything and everything else) in more places, it's a tiresome complaint that it's inconvienient to have to buy it in certain stores, in certain quantities when people should be happy they can buy it somewhere without fear of arrest. Therefore, right on topic for a thread (or even a forum) that seems to be about people complaining. Better?
Come on, this is Pittsburgh! I expect the socially conservative bent. I get where you're coming from now, although I don't agree that I shouldn't complain about it. Yes, I suppose I should have gotten it from your previous post, but I can't explain why it did not seem like that at the time. Perhaps I need a drink....

Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,264 times
Seriously -- U2? That's your cultural touchstone for a cool city? What is it, 1985? Dude, I don't like country music either, but for better or worse, Kenny Chesney is at least an act from this century. I love U2, but I'm also a totally uncool 40-something clinging to the music of my youth. You're in your twenties. You should be lamenting the fact that bands I've never heard of don't come here. Not ones whose members will qualify for membership in AARP in a few years. Nevermind the fact that's already been stated that they have been here since "never coming here since 1997". (Glad to know my attending those shows was not a figment of my imagination.) And you're making fun of other people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh