Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Steeler View Post
You accuse me of making unsupported claims and then fail to provide support of yours. Where do you get your facts from that Pittsburgh is a leader in anything?

I can tell you it is a fact that the population of Pittsburgh has steadily declined. And that has everything to do with your employment "rise".

UPMC has dozens of hospital, but it is one employer. If you were unhappy with your job at one UPMC hospital you cannot threaten them to leave and go to another UPMC hospital. Same boss.
You made the first claim on this topic, so the burden of proof is on you, not me.

Every hospital in UPMC's system is run under its own adminstration. If you are unhappy you absolutely have a chance to change.

You are right, Pittsburgh's population has been declining, but population and employed people are very different things. A population shift has been going on in Pittsburgh for years. The decline in population is due to mortality rates and older people leaving to retire elsewhere, the majority of the incoming population is younger people. In short, while Pittsburgh's population has been declining, it has been getting younger, thus creating a more viable future. Population shifts such as this are common for growing cities.

Again, all we have is your personal speculation. If you don't like Pittsburgh, move somewhere else, you really don't have to live here, but don't post false information about the city.

The only way I can see someone thinking as you do is if they moved to Pittsburgh and never left their apartment. Try going to this site and attending the events. It might open your eyes.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,528,353 times
It really isn't fair to compare Pittsburgh to New York, San Francisco or any of the bigger cities. Pittsburgh does have a fair amount of cultural options considering its size. Compare us to Cincinnati or St. Louis, for example. I agree with the other posters about living in the East End. If you are paying downtown rent then you can afford Shadyside. I would suggest moving to Shadyside and see if you like it better. Downtown just isn't that hoppin yet. However, give it time and it will be.

As far as you disdain for the bars of the Southside. I agree with you. I have never liked the South Side. The stores don't do anything for me and I have always preferred the bars in Shadyside or even the Squirrell Cage.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:41 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
And I don't know any city residents who actually go to Station Square. Station Square is mostly for suburbanites who think they're heading into "The City" for a night on the town.

If you let us know what you'd like to do and see while you're stuck in Pittsburgh, we might be able to help you make the most of your time here.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If you let us know what you'd like to do and see while you're stuck in Pittsburgh, we might be able to help you make the most of your time here.
I've read the whole thread; this is the suggestion that makes the most sense. I don't think it's worth trying to convince someone who really doesn't want to be here that Pittsburgh is great. That's generally a waste of energy.

But, you're here, give the folks replying to this thread some idea of what you like to do, and they'll steer you in the right direction as best they can, that's for sure. It's not like Boston and NY and just won't be, period. But there are things to do.

I just would add, for someone new, hoping for things to do at night near home, downtown probably wasn't the best choice of domicile. Oh well. You can still fix that, presumably, if you want to and your contract continues for significant remaining time.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 AM

39 posts, read 79,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're clueless.

Pittsburgh has a very diverse economy. It's not limited to one hospital, one university and one bank. There are MANY other industries supporting Pittsburgh's economy.

(Want proof, read many threads on this forum where there has been discussion and posts with statistics and articles, etc.)

And the housing market only played on part. The housing market has nothing to do with why Pittsburgh employers still chose to retain their employees.

Bottom line is you are here because you have a job. You can leave if you find another job. Sadly, that's not very likely in the near future.

Your saying a declining economy is keeping you employed is nonsensical.

If that were the case, other areas of the country wouldnt' have such high unemployment rates compared to Pittsburgh.
I never attacked the employment rate of Pittsburgh, but since you do bring it up defensively, why isn't the population rate increasing. Is Pittsburgh that undesirable a city that even an employment rate to brag about can't attract new residents? If I were unemployed, I'd be in New York, searching for a job. My physical presence in New York would increase the unemployment rate.

When did I say a declining economy is keeping me employed?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You made the first claim on this topic, so the burden of proof is on you, not me.

Every hospital in UPMC's system is run under its own adminstration. If you are unhappy you absolutely have a chance to change.

You are right, Pittsburgh's population has been declining, but population and employed people are very different things. A population shift has been going on in Pittsburgh for years. The decline in population is due to mortality rates and older people leaving to retire elsewhere, the majority of the incoming population is younger people. In short, while Pittsburgh's population has been declining, it has been getting younger, thus creating a more viable future. Population shifts such as this are common for growing cities.

Again, all we have is your personal speculation. If you don't like Pittsburgh, move somewhere else, you really don't have to live here, but don't post false information about the city.

The only way I can see someone thinking as you do is if they moved to Pittsburgh and never left their apartment. Try going to this site and attending the events. It might open your eyes.
I made the claim with the disclaimer that I don't have the facts at my disposal. How else do you think I came to that conclusion other than Pittsburghers relaying the information.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

Let's be realistic here. I'm in my late 20's and have several friends in the 20's and 30's throughout the country considering locations for settling with or without families. I have never heard anyone suggest, imply or even think about moving to Pittsburgh. I've even heard native burghers suggest they wouldn't recommend anyone move here for any particular reason. Where is this drove of young people coming from???

Old 09-22-2009, 11:10 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
I made the claim with the disclaimer that I don't have the facts at my disposal. How else do you think I came to that conclusion other than Pittsburghers relaying the information.
I just wanted to let you know that when we moved from Cranberry out here to California, I hated it for several years, because I so missed my family.

I learned that it doesn't do you any good to focus on how awful it is.

So I'm here to say -- It's okay to not like Pittsburgh. What's not okay is that feeling of being STUCK. Does nothing good for the soul.

Go out and explore. Pittsburgh may not have much by way of nightlife in your opinion, but it has some great outdoors stuff. Go hiking in McConnell's Mills. And you're not too far away from some world class cities, by any standard. Book a three day weekend in New York City or Toronto or Washington DC. You've got find a way out of your negativity zone. (HA! I really DO sound like I'm from California, now!)

And trust me -- there are a lot of people in Pittsburgh who are not sportscentric. I was one of them.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM

I agree, this is a waste of time. If in 2 years I can't learn to like yinz, I probably never will.

And I have not posted false facts on this forum. I've posted facts I wish I knew before deciding to move here. Facts that anyone deciding to move here should know -

mullets, steelers, penguins, perogies, geriatrics, UPMC and obesity DO prevail here.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
I don't know where you find people like that. I am 23 years old and of of my group of 20 close friends only 3 of them are originally from this area.

If you go to Shadyside, Friendship, Squirrel Hill, Morningside, nearly all of the residents are young transplants from other cities. Have you ever spent any length of time in those neighborhoods? They might give you want you missed the last few years.

And if you are interested, here are some facts about Pittsburgh's economy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh