Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Kind of Town Is Pittsburgh
Northeast 78 40.21%
Mid-Atlantic 40 20.62%
Mid-West 39 20.10%
Neither 28 14.43%
Don't Know 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 05:06 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times

Advertisements

The Mid-Atlantic States (also called Middle Atlantic States or simply the Mid Atlantic) form a region of the United States generally located between New England and the South. Its exact definition differs upon source, but the region often includes Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., and sometimes Virginia and West Virginia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 05:34 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,203 times
I would say Philly and Baltimore are Mid-Atlantic. NY might be one the edge of New England, or just an entity all its own. DC might be another edge city. Kind of south, kind of Mid-atlantic. (JFK noted DC was a city of "Southern efficiency and northern charm" )

And regardless of the official Census designation of PA and NY as "Mid-atlantic", I think it's hard to put the entirety of such large and diverse states into one category.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,184 times
Pittsburgh is a hard city to classify, but I think the northeastern and Appalachian influences are stronger than the midwestern ones. Places like Columbus and Indianapolis seem so different from Pittsburgh.

It almost seems like the midwest immediately begins at the part of Ohio just north of WV's northern panhandle. As my grandfather in Greene County said "Ohioans are just different." (They moved to Akron to work at the Goodyear plant and didn't have fond memories of that region.) However, southeastern Ohio, including the area outside of Wheeling and Weirton, WV, feel more like southwestern PA than the midwest.

I think the region stretching from western PA, southeastern OH, and northern WV is hard to classify wholly into one region.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:27 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
I would say Philly and Baltimore are Mid-Atlantic. NY might be one the edge of New England, or just an entity all its own. DC might be another edge city. Kind of south, kind of Mid-atlantic. (JFK noted DC was a city of "Southern efficiency and northern charm" )

And regardless of the official Census designation of PA and NY as "Mid-atlantic", I think it's hard to put the entirety of such large and diverse states into one category.
NY has never been a part of New England. Never will be either.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
NY has never been a part of New England. Never will be either.
Yet many people who live in New England commute to NYC.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:52 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
^^^Fairfield County in SW CT is a NYC suburb. Plenty of people in CT also commute to Boston for work as well.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:57 PM

5 posts, read 7,634 times
Default What's Pittsburgh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruway View Post
Just curious were do you rank Pittsburgh as a regional town.
I see people call it mid-Atlantic but I strongly disagree.
To me, mid-Atlantic signals that awful area of Bawlmer/Washington that has little identity and is instead a hodgepoge of transplants and rednecks that neither the north or south will take.
I also consider anything above the Mason-Dixon line to be the North.

Pittsburgh has culture and it's own distinctiveness.

I really don't see it as Northeast though because it's just to far west, past the Appalachian Mountains and doesn't share much with NYC or Boston.
Pittsburgh's biggest rival is Cleveland, which is a mid-west town.

You could also claim Pittsburgh is Appalachia (since the ARC considers it) or rustbelt...but lets stick with these three basic ones.
Pittsburgh is unique. It has it's own distinct culture. Nowhere else in the entire world could a city mimic Pittsburgh. Just because Pittsburgh is on the other side of the Appalachian mountains doesn't mean it's not Northeastern. The Northeast part of the usa goes hundreds of miles past the Coastal Northeast shores of the Atlantic Ocean into Mountain country to even plateau. Just because Pittsburghers don't act/talk like NewYorkers, doesn't make them Midwestern either.

On the football rivalry with Cleveland, the two owners of both teams hated eachother. Due to this they taught their cities to hate the other rival city. Then the media made it a big rivalry by making it a battle of "two blue collar towns". Many Pittsburghers never even set foot in Cleveland, but they said nasty things about Cleveland. Clevelanders would do the entirely same thing to Pittsburgh just over a rivalry. Question: What difference would it have been if the Cleveland team was from Bethlehem, Pa instead? Would this midwestern question still come up on these postings? Probably not. The media wouldn't have changed a thing even if the rival team was from Bethlehem instead of Cleveland. But it's Cleveland (a midwestern like city) and the rest is history and that's why we have webpages like this debating Pittsburgh's proper region in the USA. Many people say Pittsburgh's rival is not Cleveland anymore, but Baltimore.

For being Appalachia, Critics of ARC claim that some parts of ARC were just excuses for Pork Barrel Projects = a waste of taxpayer money. The only parts that would pass as Pittsburgh Appalachian like would be extreme southern sections of Greene and Fayette Counties in Pa. Many people from those areas seem to associate more with WVA.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:38 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,357,825 times
Pacific Rim

Old 10-19-2014, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,266 times
I've lived in Pittsburgh for several years now. Before that, I lived in D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, Manhattan, Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood, FL. Compared with all of these, Pittsburgh is far more midwestern culturally.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:11 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalb View Post
I've lived in Pittsburgh for several years now. Before that, I lived in D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, Manhattan, Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood, FL. Compared with all of these, Pittsburgh is far more midwestern culturally.
Where did you live in the Midwest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh