Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times

Advertisements

Northview Heights & most of Manchester are the real places to avoid
California-Kirkbride, most of Perry South, most of Marshall-Shadeland are not too bad yet should be avoided at night... but still un-desirable unless you like extreme urban areas.
Part of Central Northside, East Allegheny (east of the highway), southern part of Troy Hill, part of Fineview (Allegheny Dwellings projects), southern 1/3's of Brighton Heights, and southern part of Spring Garden are iffy places at night...

In the 1990's most of the Northside was a war zone and a place to avoid at all times... Now in most bad and iffy pockets on the Northside trouble won't fine you if you don't claim a set...
The market is in Brighton Place in California-Kirkbride. It's not the safest area... Home to the Brighton Place Cripz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Manchester is something else. In the summer time you'll have dudes park their cars on the side of the road, get out, urinate on a house, then get in their car and drive away. That's not an exaggeration, it's laughable how bizarre people can be and think it's totally normal behavior.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times
In the Strip Distict and on random streets of DownTown homeless guys **** on the street all the time too...

Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 PM

9 posts, read 18,457 times
Also, does anyone know how long the Shamrock Inn has been a nuisance bar? It just seems to be the only major problem of Allegheny West..I was just curious to if it has always been a rough bar or if this is new.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
The southern part of Manchester (the streets around W North Ave) is extremely nice. This area has been gentrified for the most part. The northern part of Manchester is still pretty rough, but I think this is changing.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:36 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
The southern part of Manchester (the streets around W North Ave) is extremely nice. This area has been gentrified for the most part. The northern part of Manchester is still pretty rough, but I think this is changing.
That's mostly true, although I think "gentrified" may be a bit strong. Anything south of Sheffield is pretty OK, although there have still been shootings in the area (at least 2 I can recall) within the last year or so.

That being said, I wish I had the funds for this house, erroneously listed as being in the Central North Side, it's all Manchester on North Ave:
1220 W North Ave, Central North Side, PA 15233 (MLS# 844965) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

Old 02-22-2011, 03:50 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,835 times
Manchester is trying though, they've got some great assets:

Manchester Citizens - Home Page

31-home residential community breaks ground in Manchester (http://v3.popcitymedia.com/devnews/columbussquare012010.aspx - broken link)

Forty homes on market in Manchester two-day sales event - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 02-22-2011, 06:10 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova00 View Post
Hi, I am a few months late, but I was just reading your thread, North Side: Whats Up? I am moving to Allegheny West soon, and am not familiar with the North Side at all. I get complete mixed reviews of the area, some saying its straight hood, to others saying its a pretty nice place, continuing to get better...From what I have concluded is that there are pockets throughout. But for the most part the North Shore, Allegheny West, the park area, and central north side (mexican war streets) are all relatively nice/safe. However, once you start to go north a little bit up brighton rd. and or federal street it starts to get a little rough...? I just know I was looking for a grocery store and I went a few miles north to Kuhn's Market and it was pretty hood. How is the giant eagle on Cedar Ave.? All opinions and responses on the North Side would be appreciated...
Welcome to Allegheny West, my favorite neighborhood in the city. AW is generally very safe, I've been here for almost four years and haven't had any problems at all. The worst thing that's happened to us is some drunk Steelers fans peeing on our garage door after a game. And yea, there are some tougher areas of the northside but I walked almost every single street from the northshore up to Brighton Heights during the last presidential campaign and no one ever bothered me.

Kuhn's isn't dangerous but it isn't really a very good supermarket. The Cedar Ave Giant Eagle is much better than it used to be but the selection of food isn't great, I usually just shop there if I need something in a hurry. I usually shop in East Liberty or the Strip for weekly stuff. The great thing about the lower Northside is how easy it is to get anywhere in the city pretty quickly. The bus service is pretty good and if you're driving, you're about 30 seconds off the parkways.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova00 View Post
Also, does anyone know how long the Shamrock Inn has been a nuisance bar? It just seems to be the only major problem of Allegheny West..I was just curious to if it has always been a rough bar or if this is new.
I don't remember it being a nuisance about 10 years ago. My boyfriend at that time was very Irish. We used to go have their corned beef and cabbage sandwiches- they were good!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Have you walked down W North lately? Most of the homes are restored and they are GORGEOUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh