Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 AM

807 posts, read 617,112 times

Advertisements

I just signed a Buyer's agency agreement with an agent for one of the major real estate agencies in town. In addition to a 3% commission, the agreement also provides that I will owe the agent a $395 "broker's fee" in the event that I purchase a home. When questioned about this fee, my agent indicated that "all of the agencies in town are now charging this type of fee."

I've limited the agreement to a particular area, so I still believe I can renegotiate if I were to find a house in another area. Moreover, I can terminate the agreement in 6 mos. (and but for the first time homebuyers tax credit), I am in no particular hurry to purchase a home.

Any recent home buyers out there? Is this fee now typical in buyer's agency agreements in and around Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 10:19 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
I just signed a Buyer's agency agreement with an agent for one of the major real estate agencies in town. In addition to a 3% commission, the agreement also provides that I will owe the agent a $395 "broker's fee" in the event that I purchase a home. When questioned about this fee, my agent indicated that "all of the agencies in town are now charging this type of fee."

I've limited the agreement to a particular area, so I still believe I can renegotiate if I were to find a house in another area. Moreover, I can terminate the agreement in 6 mos. (and but for the first time homebuyers tax credit), I am in no particular hurry to purchase a home.

Any recent home buyers out there? Is this fee now typical in buyer's agency agreements in and around Pittsburgh?
I bought a house last year, with a wonderful buyers' agent (Tamara Davis, Coldwell Banker in Shadyside). I never had to sign anything until I made an offer. However, "brokers fee" sounds pretty familiar and I think it's one of the 10,000 normal charges you get hit with when you buy a house. Signing something just to get a buyers agent sounds weird, though.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:30 AM

I think signing the buyer's agency agreement is fairly common -- its a way for agents to protect themselves, so they, for example, don't show you a home and then have you contact the seller's agent to buy it through them instead.

We've come across instances where an agent will, as a courtesy, and in the hope of getting you as a client, show a home without a signed buyer's agency agreement, but most of the time they prefer a signed buyer's agency agreement to be in place before they show you a home.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:45 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
Sounds like the stupid fee that the various listing agents tried to shove down our throats. Something about a fee to "store" our records for the necessary length of time. We were told the same thing........"everybody is doing it". Almost gave them the answer my mother would to that statement.........you know the one about jumping off a bridge if everyone else did it??? The agents we finally signed with don't do that. I told them for $400 bucks I would store my own records!

It used to be that buyer's agents didn't exist much except for very high end properties. You found a house you liked, went to the agency listing it, saw the house, made a deal and went on your merry way. But now that the listing fee has to be split so many ways that I think they, like the airlines, are just coming up with anything they can think of to make an extra buck.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:04 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
I think signing the buyer's agency agreement is fairly common -- its a way for agents to protect themselves, so they, for example, don't show you a home and then have you contact the seller's agent to buy it through them instead.
Yeah, I signed an agreement with my agent too before going on showings. It is just to protect them from working for you and then having you screw them out of the commission. And the 3% that goes to your agent is in essence paid for by the sellers. It's not like you pay an extra 3% above your offer, it's taken from the agreed upon sales price.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 PM

Thanks Tinare, definitely understand about the 3% fee. Checked with two co-workers who recently purchased homes with the same big agency (but different from one I signed on with), and they both stated that their broker fee was $370, but that in both cases, it was split equally between the buyers and the sellers.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,781 times
All the agencies have a "Broker's Fee". The amount varies from agency to agency. The seller's pay it in addition to the commission and so do the buyers. It is a standard in the industry.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:47 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
my broker's fee 2 years ago was $185, with howard hanna.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 20,018 times
I just signed a contract with CB with the same $395 fee..

Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 PM

Thanks for all of the replies -- glad to know this charge (while it seems a little gratuitous) is common in the industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh