Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:54 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Need to convince the wife that Pittsburgh is worth a look. She is pretty against it based on old stereotypes. Then again, she grew up in Rhode Island, and I am a naive Californian, who has never lived east of the Mississippi.

My suspicion is that we would both be happy with being in a friendly, welcoming community with good work to do and good opportunities for our son. So long as she could jog in the woods twice a week with the dogs.
If you do a quick Google search (or even on this forum, since we tried to compile them), there an awful lot of "Pittsburgh: It's not as bad as you think it is" articles that were written in advance of the G20 being here this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 AM

89 posts, read 218,118 times
From your criteria, it seems as though Pittsburgh would be a perfect match. Instead of canoeing on a lake, though, you could canoe on one of the rivers. I would suggest taking your wife on a visit to Pittsburgh.

I know that academic jobs (especially in the sciences) are extremely competitive, so good luck if you decide to apply!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
you should move to pittsburgh because the g20 is over! haha.

seriously, you should try coming for a visit and see what you think. i'm sure people on this board would be happy to list some things to check out. maybe try to organize your trip around an event that interests you where you could meet some residents.

as far as regular events go, there's a space on gist street that has weekly literary readings; that might be a good place to meet people. they also have art shows in the space. Gist Street Reading Series - Home (http://www.giststreet.org/ - broken link)

there are also the pittsburgh banjo club rehearsals on wednesdays at the elks hall in the north side. it's a fun sing-a-long with food, very kid friendly, and the membership of the club is generally very progressive, or at least very interesting! a former club president is a perpetual green party mayoral candidate. The Pittsburgh Banjo Club

some people love pittsburgh, some hate it, but i think it's a beautiful city with a really thriving arts, literary, & music scene on the grassroots level. because it's so affordable here, people can have a lot more spare time to do interesting things if they so choose. and as other people have mentioned, the parks system here is wonderful, and it is a short drive to several good state parks.

and if you move to the regent square area i can tell you where the secret dog park where all the cool people go is!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:51 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You won't see gay pride parades in Pittsburgh
That's more than a little misleading. Can you find backwards yinzers in Troy Hill that don't like "the faigs"? Sure, and guess what: you can find them in San Francisco too.

Not sure if any of this counts as a parade:

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ride-week.html

Also, to the OP: Do us a favor and change your wife's tired, outdated misconceptions about our city. You don't have to move here, but do that at least. And then move here, you both might love it based on what you're looking for in a city.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
That's more than a little misleading. Can you find backwards yinzers in Troy Hill that don't like "the faigs"? Sure...
I addressed the yinzers in my post.

Quote:
...and guess what: you can find them in San Francisco too.
That further validates my point.

Quote:
Not sure if any of this counts as a parade:

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ride-week.html
I doubt many Pittsburghers were even aware there was a gay pride week. bit I'll bet most residents of San Francisco know when there is a gay parade.

I was merely trying to convey that most Pittsburghers are indifferent about homosexuals at best and tollerate of homosexuals at worst.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:04 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I think it is true that in general Pittsburgh is relatively tolerant of gay people, with small pockets of intolerance that you could find anywhere. But it is also true that we have a thriving gay population that organizes popular events like Pittsburgh Pride, which I understand has become at least a regional draw.

Edit: according to this, Pittsburgh Pride has grown rapidly from 8000 attendees to 19000 attendees in the last three years:

http://pittsburghpride.org/?p=874 (broken link)

Old 09-26-2009, 11:29 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Hi everyone,
When I mentioned the possibility to my wife she freaked!
I can't understand where people get these stereotypes. Like other posters mentioned, Pittsburgh's steel industry died over 25 years ago. It's been a long time.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
I can't understand where people get these stereotypes. Like other posters mentioned, Pittsburgh's steel industry died over 25 years ago. It's been a long time.
Because getting dark before Noon was and is noteworthy and memorable.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:46 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
The stereotypes were entrenched during well over one hundred years. It is bound to take some time for them to unwind, although hopefully it won't take that long.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:48 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post

Likewise. I grew up in the East watching the sky light up when they dumped the slag on what is now Century III mall. And I remember the blast furnaces belching smoke where the Hot Metal bridge is now.

That was a long, long, time ago. It's hard to believe that people still think Pgh is Hell with the Lid Off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh