Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:42 PM

5 posts, read 33,015 times

Advertisements

looking to relocate near pittsburgh, but, would like to live on the water. can anyone advise? want to be fairly close to the city, 1/2 to 1 hour away, or closer, and the airport. don't like lots of rules (homeowner's association), and like rural/country atmosphere, small town feel, as that is what i am moving from. been thinking of anywhere from cleveland area to pittsburgh area. thanks all !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 06:28 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,890,705 times
You might want to check out the areas around Mosquito Lake in Cortland, Ohio 44410. I believe Lake Milton has a lot of waterfront homes. http://www.firstplacerealestate.com/...Submit2=Search

Old 09-26-2009, 07:46 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,335,904 times
Freeport, Pa is a nice small town on the Allegheny River about 25 miles to downtown Pittsburgh.

http://www.freeportpa.org/

Old 09-27-2009, 08:06 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,597,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indian2002 View Post
looking to relocate near pittsburgh, but, would like to live on the water. can anyone advise? want to be fairly close to the city, 1/2 to 1 hour away, or closer, and the airport. don't like lots of rules (homeowner's association), and like rural/country atmosphere, small town feel, as that is what i am moving from. been thinking of anywhere from cleveland area to pittsburgh area. thanks all !
It was kind of funny. I thought you were talking about the Homestead Waterfront. If you can afford it, they have housing down there, if you are interested. Close to the city too.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,622,222 times
Are you wanting property literally next to the water or a town that is next to the water? Waterfront property on Pittsburgh's rivers are mostly condos or small fishing cottage type buildings. I can't think of one development with upper scale single homes literally next to the rivers. Lakes aren't very common near the city. Lake Arthur is a mile north, but it's located in Moraine State Park. Houses near the lake are nonexistent or very few because I've never seen any.

Washington's Landing has upscale townhomes. It's a little island in the Allegheny River---just minutes from downtown. There's a marina called Washington's Landing Marina and there is a biking path that goes along the Allegheny River to the North Shore downtown. This is what the housing plan is like: Architecture

Although you wanted to stay between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, check out Deep Creek, Maryland.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:53 AM

6,295 posts, read 11,002,670 times
Wait until the year 2012. According to some prognosticators, half the planet will be under water that year and you may be able to pick up some very cheap beach front property in the Pittsburgh area.

There are a couple of lakes with properties west of Meadville, PA but that is 90 minutes north of the city. Not much in the way of lake front real estate near Pittsburgh that I'm aware of. I think Cortland Girl's suggestion is probably as good as any that you will get.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,622,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
You might want to check out the areas around Mosquito Lake in Cortland, Ohio 44410. I believe Lake Milton has a lot of waterfront homes. Listing Gallery Homes in Youngstown Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I think Cortland Girl's suggestion is probably as good as any that you will get.
You can find houses like that along the Allegheny River. That's what I meant when I said small fishing cottages. There are small neighborhoods with lower level housing all along the the river. For instance, there is a little neighborhood along Harmarville's river banks. Harmvarville even has an island in the river that house lots of small houses that can only be accessed by boat.

For some reason, I think the OP wants more upscale housing. Not top notch, but more middle class to upper middle class housing.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:07 PM

602 posts, read 2,025,745 times
If you can find some land for sale, build yourself a place along the Clarion River near Cook Forest. Some people have built some big places down along there the past few years and it doesn't get anymore small town feel than that!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:19 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,579,102 times
All I can think of is the Lago de Vita upscale housing plan in Hempfield Township, which is surrounded by a vast lake. There are several parcels (some huge) that are up for sale and front the lake. I wouldn't consider it to be a rural area but it isn't your typical suburban housing plan as the houses are spaced farther apart in a wooded setting. It is near Greensburg and the Westmoreland Mall, which is about 45 minutes east of Pittsburgh.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 PM

323 posts, read 831,517 times
Unless you have a lot of money to spend, you won't find anything between Pittsburgh and Cleveland on a lakefront without association fees, strict zoning, and/or a resort/suburb/vacationland atmosphere. And the closer you get to the cities the more expensive it gets. Even some of the land near the government controlled public lakes is under strict zoning codes and expensive.

If you are looking at the rivers, even that land is being gobbled up by the government or developers. Counties are laying strict zoning regs on those areas too (for instance the Clarion river watershed). Prices are climbing fast for riverfront property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh