Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
That's why when discussing transit, Pittsburgh should be compared to cities like Cincinnati or possibly Buffalo or even Cleveland. Not sprawling Western cities rapidly filling up with people.

I would live in Cincinnati, Cleveland or Pittsburgh over sprawling messes out west anyday.

Cincy, The Cleve, and Pitt all look great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:03 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
LOL, Care to elaborate?

I seriously think the people interested should use like google maps or something to make their own ideal transit maps or something.

I'll try to as soon as I get a solid chunk of free time.
two more words: build it

Old 10-01-2009, 09:32 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
I would live in Cincinnati, Cleveland or Pittsburgh over sprawling messes out west anyday.

Having done both, I couldn't agree with you more.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post

Which cities do you believe are "sprawling messes"?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Which cities do you believe are "sprawling messes"?
Practically any sizable, booming western city surrounded by open space ie. most of them outside of the Northwest.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Practically any sizable, booming western city surrounded by open space ie. most of them outside of the Northwest.
Oh, good. I thought you were talking about Denver. Except for the airport, its boundaries haven't changed much since a 1974 amendment to the Colorado constitution. Some of the boundaries go back to the formation of the City and County of Denver in 1902.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I'll stand up for Denver, which is outside the Northwest and rapidly growing, but I think belongs in the same category with Portland and Seattle. It has some sprawly areas, but so for that matter does Pittsburgh or any other major American city. The two things the Denver area has that I really like are a well-developed core area, and then many attractive smaller satellite towns (e.g., Boulder is fantastic).

Old 10-01-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'll stand up for Denver, which is outside the Northwest and rapidly growing, but I think belongs in the same category with Portland and Seattle. It has some sprawly areas, but so for that matter does Pittsburgh or any other major American city. The two things the Denver area has that I really like are a well-developed core area, and then many attractive smaller satellite towns (e.g., Boulder is fantastic).
Thank you. There are many suburbs there that are little cities in their own right, actually most of the suburbs are cities. My little suburban city, Louisville, is an old coal mining town. It has done a lot to maintain its historical roots. It's walkable. It has transit.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thank you. There are many suburbs there that are little cities in their own right, actually most of the suburbs are cities. My little suburban city, Louisville, is an old coal mining town. It has done a lot to maintain its historical roots. It's walkable. It has transit.
In my view that whole suburb as small town thing is exactly the right model for suburban development (including here in Pittsburgh too--I view places like Mt. Lebanon as model suburbs), and it is really obvious in the Denver area how the former scattering of historic mining towns and such served as the basis for that kind of development.

Of course according to CNNMoney you live in the #1 small town in America, so I guess we aren't pushing the envelope by praising its virtues.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
I found public transit in Pittsburgh to be utterly flummoxing. I think you need to become pretty familiar with the area where you live and where your destinations are before you can get a fix on how to use public transit to get from one to the other. And I never did figure out how you determine whether you pay when you get on or get off, or how they knew how much. But most of all, mass transit just couldn't compete with my own car for convenience. Most of the places I wanted to go to, I had no problems finding parking within a block or two, and frequently less than that. The notable exceptions were downtown and the campus area in Oakland. There are some notable bottlenecks in town, but IMO getting around town by car is pretty easy once you figure out the crazy street layout -- that is, once you learn to navigate by landmark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh