Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 09:41 PM

118 posts, read 282,311 times

Advertisements

New Kensington isn't what it used to be, but what makes it so much more different than all the other Pittsburgh slums? Quite frankly, I favor the New Ken / Lower Burrell / Natrona Heights area over many other suburbs. I've done a lot of business there, and met some wonderful folks from that area. I wouldn't be afraid to walk the streets at night around there. Not one bit. Sure it's pretty run down, but so is most of this region. I'm just blown away by the "eww" expression on people's faces every time New Ken is mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 09:47 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
New Kensington is far from a slum. Is the city crumbing as I type this, yes, but it's no slum. And it has a lot, a lot, of potential. And I agree with you about the area being safe for the most part.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:39 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,820 times
I agree. I too think there's a lot of development potential in the area. I think one of the biggest factors that killed the region was the growth of suburbs and suburban malls.

I believe I heard that someone is fixing up and re-opening one of the town's historic movie theaters, is that right?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:20 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
I agree. I too think there's a lot of development potential in the area. I think one of the biggest factors that killed the region was the growth of suburbs and suburban malls.

I believe I heard that someone is fixing up and re-opening one of the town's historic movie theaters, is that right?
I heard that rumor as well.

Where's Awesomo when you need him? He's obsessed with this area!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
I've lived hear for 10 yrs now and as any where else there are good and bad sections. anyhow heres a link---http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleynewsdispatch/s_639588.html

Old 09-30-2009, 11:05 AM

117 posts, read 419,337 times
When I was born in New Kensington, in 1949 (!) - the ALCOA plant was thriving and was my father's employer. It's gone - and the city's economy went with it.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:28 AM

94 posts, read 211,006 times
Take a look at Arnold/Apollo/Tarentum - it's not too bad/ Yes, I've been up and down all the roads of Pittsburgh (mostly) through Butler and Kittanning. Yes, I have to agree. all of them cities are really rundown, crumbing, but it's all about History beyond them. Still in one piece, or intact. That's a good sign. There is alot of nice folks out in there areas, even including New Kensington and Natrona Heights. Can't really say New Kensington is a bad reputation, but I do think the North and South Side of Pittsburgh is. I've seen worst, alot worst. To my beliefs, New Kensington, has a good reputation and safe enough (I still won't walk outside, though) Not just there, but everywhere.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:55 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbilt379 View Post
Take a look at Arnold/Apollo/Tarentum - it's not too bad/ Yes, I've been up and down all the roads of Pittsburgh (mostly) through Butler and Kittanning. Yes, I have to agree. all of them cities are really rundown, crumbing, but it's all about History beyond them. Still in one piece, or intact. That's a good sign. There is alot of nice folks out in there areas, even including New Kensington and Natrona Heights. Can't really say New Kensington is a bad reputation, but I do think the North and South Side of Pittsburgh is. I've seen worst, alot worst. To my beliefs, New Kensington, has a good reputation and safe enough (I still won't walk outside, though) Not just there, but everywhere.
You don't live here!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
You don't live here!
I lived on the hill part of Arnold for a couple of years when I worked up that way. Although it has been almost 15 years, I think I can give an opinion about New Kensington. It does have its good areas and bad areas. I was never uncomfortable walking around. I even recall walking around at night on occassion.

The negative reputation comes from drugs and crime. While the rate of violent crime isn't much higher than other places, New Ken has had some doozies---very freaky murders that were unsettling to hear. That sticks in people's minds for decades.

What's special about New Kensington is it still retains industry within its mix of residential and commercial property. It's truly a town in its own right, not a suburb of Pittsburgh.

The entire Allegheny Valley area is rather vibrant compared to most river towns in Southwestern PA. Natrona Heights, New Kensington, Lower Burrel, Tarentum, Creighton, and Brackenride are not dead towns. They might not have the retail base of the past, but they most certainly retain a degree of population and industry.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:27 AM

94 posts, read 211,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
You don't live here!

I used to. It's been 2 years since I left. Born and raised in Pittsburgh.

Actually in 2 days, I'm moving back to Pittsburgh. Virginia Beach, VA is okay but it sucks here. Alot of things to mention. Don't ask why I moved to Virginia. Even, I don't have the answer for that. Either way, it's been too long. I do know how New Kensington is like, and other cities surrounding.

At this moment, I don't live in Pennsylvania. Leaving Virginia on Tuesday (possible Monday) and moving in with my relative (lives in Lower Burrell, PA) Least til, I can get back on track. Can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh