Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times

Advertisements

Board votes to close 4 Carnegie Library branches in city

Quote:
The resolution approved overwhelmingly by the board last night calls for the closure of the Beechview, West End and Hazelwood branches; the merger of the Carrick and Knoxville branches; the closure of Lawrenceville's branch after a new branch is opened in East Liberty; the move of the Mount Washington library from Grandview Avenue to Virginia Avenue; and the closure of the Allegheny Depository.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09279...#ixzz0TAT40pWT

Libraries are so,so important to communities. I hope these closures aren't permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 AM

315 posts, read 665,224 times
I have been able to borrow professional wrestling dvds from the library.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl777 View Post
I have been able to borrow professional wrestling dvds from the library.
I'm sure it would be a great loss for you.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:09 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I think it's interesting that they're planning on moving the Mt Washington branch of the library around the corner to Virginia Ave. Right now it's in the original building which is over 100 years old. If they knock it down to build condos with a view, that would be so disappointing.

I know the Beechview neighborhood folks were hoping that since the library needed no renovations, it'd be safe. No dice.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 10-06-2009 at 10:21 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
That is a shame. Carnegie library is one of the better things about Pittsburgh. I enjoy the library and I'm there every week at least once. I hope the are able to maintain the rest of the libraries.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think it's interesting that they're planning on moving the Mt Washington branch of the library around the corner to Virginia Ave. Right now it's in the original building which is over 100 years old. If they knock it down to build condos with a view, that would be so disappointing.
I also found that surprising. I thought that they had renovated that branch in the past few years, but I could be wrong. I've never been inside, but it looks lovely from the outside.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 PM

315 posts, read 665,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I'm sure it would be a great loss for you.
Why does the library need to have professional wrestling DVDs? I know this is more overhead and labor costs that drive them to close these libraries, but I mean there is a lot of wasteful inventory in the system.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:47 PM

89 posts, read 218,102 times
I'm shocked that Hazelwood actually has its own library...but whatever.

This is terrible. Libraries are, as the OP said, so important to communities.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:26 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was thinking that someone might renovate rather than knock it down, but I suppose the latter is also possible. I lived right near there for about 10 months and can't picture how large the building is. If they're moving it, I can only think it's because someone has suggested that real estate is worth a lot more to them if they sell it vs keeping the branch there. Picking out a new space on Virginia Ave is going to take some renovation presumably as well.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl777 View Post
Why does the library need to have professional wrestling DVDs? I know this is more overhead and labor costs that drive them to close these libraries, but I mean there is a lot of wasteful inventory in the system.
Who are you to decide what's important for people to access at a library? If the library thought wrestling CDs were the cause of the budget problem, the library would get rid of wrestling CDs. That's not the case.

I'll bet Carnegie is doing this to get funding from the federal government---just like the state governments are doing. At the very least, this is just the normal result of a recession. Carnegie has always closed libraries down during recessions, and they reopen them eventually too. This isn't new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbarblahblah View Post
I'm shocked that Hazelwood actually has its own library...but whatever.

This is terrible. Libraries are, as the OP said, so important to communities.
Why wouldn't Hazelwood deserve its own library? If anything, impoverished communities need libraries more than more affluent areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh