Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:32 PM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Proves my belief that the man has limited imagination.
indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 06:40 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
He's the new Keith Haring. Have fun putting your artwork everywhere, and enjoy being a Trivial Pursuit question when the Aughts edition comes out. That's all I'm gonna say about it.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:23 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Seems like we're mostly in agreement about this guy's hype, but still, "I could do that" is the classic non-artist's response. Art is one part technique, 4 parts concept, 5 parts context and 90 parts connections. Everybody knows that. Like almost all successful artists of the modern age, this guy was in the right place at the right time and met all the right people.
Absolutely correct. I think instead of saying "I could do that" it would be more accurate for me to say "So what, lots of people could do that." It makes no difference to me if it's a screenprint or photoshop, the bottom line is that many people could do that stuff in Photoshop.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Personally, I LOVE his artwork. It looks cool, makes statements, and draws a following to itself. I'm a huge fan.

With all good things, there is that feeling, 'oh, I could do that'. I have a sense of humor of the Simpsons, I could be a writer for the Simpsons, on and on. The best things out there, often have such an appeal that makes people say 'I could do that'. JD Salinger's 'Catcher in the Rye', or anyone who watches boxing or sports and thinks they could do that. American Idol is FILLED with those kinds of people.

If you were looking at something that had NO interest to you whatsoever, it is pretty much the last thing you'd be thinking. You wouldn't be thinking 'I could do that'.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If you were looking at something that had NO interest to you whatsoever, it is pretty much the last thing you'd be thinking. You wouldn't be thinking 'I could do that'.
Totally untrue. I have no interest in this medium whatsoever. Quit jumping on me for a few choice words. I don't think the man is imaginative. He merely pulls from what has already been done, and IMO from the worst of what's already been done. He even tried to pass a screenprint made from a photograph off as an original idea.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
He even tried to pass a screenprint made from a photograph off as an original idea.
But isn't that what Warhol did in the first place? It's Pop Art.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But isn't that what Warhol did in the first place? It's Pop Art.
Again, that's just another concept that has already been done. And he lied about it too!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
i think his art is nice looking (especially the stuff he's been doing lately with his wife as the subject) and the andre the giant has a posse thing was cool, and has special meaning to me cause i lived in new england and spent tons of time in providence when he was starting out. but he is definitely overhyped. i like the preponderance of his murals all over the city right now though, they're better to look at than a blank wall. i'm all for graffiti/guerrilla art as long as it looks good!

the biggest issue for me is that he has apparently sued people for appropriating his style, which i find insanely hypocritical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh