Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:11 AM

31 posts, read 67,310 times

Advertisements

been in the burgh for about a month now. Setteled in shadyside (6 month lease - apt) and am looking for a palce to buy.
Dont know how long im going to be in pittsburgh so looking for a "value" home as im trying to hedge my bets so to speek if I need to sell in a year or two.

Found a place in upper L'ville - can anyone give me some input.

not a fan of l'ville in general as its way overpriced for whats currently there. People are trying to sell at prices as if the place had alreade been redevloped - sorry... its not the case....

Havent been to upper l'ville and im looking for some guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
It's not much different from Lower Larwenceville. The only advantage it has is that it's closer to Children's and to Bloomfield.

FYI, a neighborhood can become expensive in Pittsburgh without being redeveloped.

Most Pittsburghers aren't very big on renovating and remodeling. They're just happy with where they chose to live.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:01 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,315 times
I consider Upper Lawrenceville up there where they built that new Children's Hospital. I've heard all those rentals, up near there, have sky rocketed due to landlords and real estate investors taking advantage of doctors and other medical staff wanting to be close to where they work. To me, its cool. I cut up through those streets, often, on my way to work (I live on the end of Lawrenceville near 52nd Street). The streets in upper Lawrenceville are on a hill (which may not be fun during those snow and ice days), are a little narrow and the houses may be a little too close for comfort, for some. Outside of that, it seems quiet.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:17 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
I thought Upper Lawrenceville was more or less following Butler street from say 45th street on towards the Highland Park Bridge, turning into Morningside at some point.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I thought Upper Lawrenceville was more or less following Butler street from say 45th street on towards the Highland Park Bridge, turning into Morningside at some point.
Uh no...

Old 10-20-2009, 09:22 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
Upper Lawrenceville Map

Umm, yes? 51st street apparently, so even further from Children's that I was giving you guys the benefit of the doubt.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM

31 posts, read 67,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I consider Upper Lawrenceville up there where they built that new Children's Hospital. I've heard all those rentals, up near there, have sky rocketed due to landlords and real estate investors taking advantage of doctors and other medical staff wanting to be close to where they work. To me, its cool. I cut up through those streets, often, on my way to work (I live on the end of Lawrenceville near 52nd Street). The streets in upper Lawrenceville are on a hill (which may not be fun during those snow and ice days), are a little narrow and the houses may be a little too close for comfort, for some. Outside of that, it seems quiet.

The actual location im considering is a little further out... 57th/keystone to be exact...

Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Upper Lawrenceville Map

Umm, yes? 51st street apparently, so even further from Children's that I was giving you guys the benefit of the doubt.
Well, if you go by that map, I guess I live in UPPER Lawrenceville, then.

"I" consider, where "I" live LAWRENCEVILLE. All the properties, crossing Butler, heading back towards the Steel Mill and railroad tracks, "I" consider LOWER Lawrenceville. So, I guess it depends on who you ask and who wants to get all technical about it and what not.

I'd like to know where the OP has originally found this place to buy.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox View Post
The actual location im considering is a little further out... 57th/keystone to be exact...
That is so crazy to me that people actually consider that "upper" Lawrenceville.

Oh lord, NOT THE KEYSTONE STREET AREA! ....that street is IFFY. Better drive past it day and night.....and maybe during the day, once or twice, before you buy! I'm sorry, but that side of Lawrenceville, is still 'seedy' to me. And, I live on that side! It depends on your block. One block can be cool, and the next block it can be total HAVOC..kids runnin' everywhere. Folks riding up and down the block with their music blasting. LOTS of Section 8 rentals around that area...just so you know.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Silly me. I knew that upper Lawrenceville was towards Morningside and Stanton Heights. The part near Children's Hospital is called Central Lawrenceville. It's common for upper and lower to mean hillsides and valleys in Pittsburgh. I forgot that doesn't apply to Lawrenceville. I guess they mean "upper" as in "up river." I do know that the business district on top of the hill has a different name for the area, but I can't remember what it is and it's not showing up on the maps I have quickly found. Anyway, Upper Lawreceville---by the map definition---is not the best area of Lawrenceville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh