Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:41 AM

3 posts, read 11,031 times

Advertisements

My husband and I shopping for a new house. Our one bedroom condo in Wilkinsburg is proving too small. Unfortunately we've been priced out of Regent Square, but would like to stay in the area. I've found a couple houses in Swissvale (the area above Swisshelm Park across from Edgewood Town Center) that seem too good to be true. They have tons of potential, the neighborhood (at least that part) seems quiet, and the price can't be beat. Am I missing something?

Does anyone have thoughts on Swissvale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I think your impression is broadly accurate. Swissvale is one of those Pittsburgh neighborhoods which isn't wealthy but isn't dirt poor, doesn't have much crime for an urban area, has a decent location and good transit (including two East Busway stops), and so on. I'm not sure it is about to take off, but I think it is a stable and affordable option in that area.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:43 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
I'm interested to know where you have a condo in Wilkinsburg?

To me, Swissvale north of I-376 is appealing, anything south is not.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:00 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
To me, Swissvale north of I-376 is appealing, anything south is not.
I would agree with you that the Swissvale portion of Regent Square is the nicest but the part of Swissvale near Swisshelm Park is also fine. Clearly not as nice as the part by Regent Square but still fine. I would try and buy as close to Swisshelm Park as possible. Also, if possible I would look into buying in Swisshelm Park because I think it is significantly more desirable than Swisshelm Park Area.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Just a sidenote, but one advantage to living in Swissvale as opposed to Pittsburgh is lower taxes, so I would keep that in mind when looking at or around Swisshelm Park.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I would try and buy as close to Swisshelm Park as possible. Also, if possible I would look into buying in Swisshelm Park because I think it is significantly more desirable than Swisshelm Park Area.
What?

Old 10-22-2009, 11:08 AM

106 posts, read 212,062 times
ewg109, We lived the same story about 1 1/2 years ago. I bought a house in Swissvale, on the edge of Swisshelm Park because it is more affordable then Regent Square, has great bus service and is a great community.

Plus it is still walking distance to Frick Park and you can avoid the traffic at the inbound Squirrel Hill Tunnel (if you have an inbound AM commute) by taking Commercial Ave. and Forward Ave. to I-376.

Check out the Streets around Pub in the Park.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 AM

3 posts, read 11,031 times
Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone! We've looked at a couple houses, but are still hunting. Everyone's comments are really encouraging.

scottrpriester: We live on the corner of Whitney and Pennwood. There are two lovely condo buildings that face each other. We've loved the location and our condo, but we need more space.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewg109 View Post
Thanks to everyone! We've looked at a couple houses, but are still hunting. Everyone's comments are really encouraging.

scottrpriester: We live on the corner of Whitney and Pennwood. There are two lovely condo buildings that face each other. We've loved the location and our condo, but we need more space.
Is this location off of or near Penn Avenue?

Old 11-08-2009, 04:02 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,342 times
Swissvale is awesome I live right on the borderline of Swissvale,Rankin and Braddock but am considered Swissvale. I've walked to the store 11 or 12 @ night and nothing happened. You do have to be aware of some rif rif because Swissvale is so close to some of the worse neighborhoods. But if you just work,pay taxes and mind ya own business then you have nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh