Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 08:14 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anybody has ever parked at one of the private lots on the way to the airport and taken the shuttle in to catch your plane?

It makes me sick when I look at the money I spend on parking at the airport, and I am willing to try one of the private lots if:

1) The cost savings outweigh the added inconvenience.

2) The lot is reputable, safe, and provides reliable shuttle service (regardless of the time of day).

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 AM

129 posts, read 408,062 times
I've used both Charlie Brown and Globe Airport Parking on numerous occasions. Never ever had a problem. The shuttles were quick- there is always one waiting when we drop off our car, and they come quickly when we call them once we get home to the airport. Even when we've dropped off the car at 4am.

They always have coupons and specials, too.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:53 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddietrich View Post
I've used both Charlie Brown and Globe Airport Parking on numerous occasions. Never ever had a problem. The shuttles were quick- there is always one waiting when we drop off our car, and they come quickly when we call them once we get home to the airport. Even when we've dropped off the car at 4am.

They always have coupons and specials, too.
Ditto this. I've used both in the past and been happy with the service. Check their websites for coupons.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:03 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I used to use Park n Fly before it closed; back before the missing ramps on I-79 were complete, it was almost closer to go that way. I discovered it once when the airport lot was full, yes full! They turned us away there. So I kept going back. They closed up and sent customers next door to what is now FastTrack (formerly PCA). I don't think I ever ended up parking in there, but they do have a big covered shed for what at most times should be less than the airport open lot.

PIT Stop would be the ideal place assuming you're approaching the airport from the city side. They're on Montour Run before the airport; everything else is beyond the airport (or with Globe it's over to University Blvd, equally inconvenient). I don't think it's cheaper, but it does come out probably the same price and you get valet service included. Nice in the winter because they warm up your car, etc. It can actually be faster than self-parking, really. I almost tried it last time, big discount for new customers to get you hooked. PIT Stop Aiport Valet Parking - On your way to the runway

For a while the airport got to be cheaper again, but since they jacked the rates out there (from $6.50 to $8) there's more room to check out the other guys.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:32 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Always like Globe, they would wash your car for free. And you could have it detailed for extra.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
I concur with Charlie Brown, I've used it. Cheap for long term, safe lots for your vehicle, excellent shuttle service.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:16 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Just a tad off topic, Yac, sorry. But when are they going to put in a Cell Phone parking lot at the airport. When I pick up my wife or friends, I'm sitting at the Sunoco station near the airport waiting for a phone call. If the County had any brains, they would asphalt about a 1/4 acre or more and let people sit there for a buck.

. What was I thinking? I put brains and County in the same sentence.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:44 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,283 times
Might there be a demand for a shuttle type bus similar to the 28X, but instead serving somewhere else in the city?

I've always wondered this, but I feel like while it could be useful and there may be some demand, in my opinion the whole reason the 28X is still alive is the dense demand of students in the Oakland area. I wonder what the data is for how many non-students use the 28X?

Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Just a tad off topic, Yac, sorry. But when are they going to put in a Cell Phone parking lot at the airport. When I pick up my wife or friends, I'm sitting at the Sunoco station near the airport waiting for a phone call. If the County had any brains, they would asphalt about a 1/4 acre or more and let people sit there for a buck.

. What was I thinking? I put brains and County in the same sentence.
Yeah, that drives me nuts too. And they were doing some construction out there a year or two ago, and I thought oh, maybe they'll put the cell phone lot up there. Nope.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Might there be a demand for a shuttle type bus similar to the 28X, but instead serving somewhere else in the city?

I've always wondered this, but I feel like while it could be useful and there may be some demand, in my opinion the whole reason the 28X is still alive is the dense demand of students in the Oakland area. I wonder what the data is for how many non-students use the 28X?
I doubt it would work for anywhere else. There's a concentration of riders that works from downtown and Oakland, and that's about it. Others are either going to drive as family or drive to be convenient if they are flying for biz. You could still take the bus from downtown as a connection from busses from elsewhere.

For the rest of the area, there is also now Super Shuttle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: