U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:26 PM

29 posts, read 145,424 times

Advertisements

Finally going to make a trip to Pittsburgh from middle of nowhere Nevada (actually you have to pass the middle of nowhere and drive to booney-f*** land Nevada.) So planning a trip to Steeler Mecca, just wondering about trans, not the flight, just getting around the surrounding areas. I get road rage even in my little town here from dumbtards, so me driving is out of the question. Planning a motel in Carnegie, just wondering if it would be more cost efficient to get a closer room to DT or just cab it. Travel time for stuff is no biggie, unless stuck in a jam... something I am not used to. =) Traffic jam for me means two cars ahead of me in the turn lane.
help me fellow Steeler fans! Next year I WILL make it to a game!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 11:44 PM

875 posts, read 1,340,660 times
I will say that unless you're talking late-night, from my experience, driving around the suburbs and not knowing where you're going can be stressful. Pittsburgh is no different in that there are plenty of dumb drivers here, some aggressive ones, but often you will find more polite drivers as well.

That said, unless you know exactly where you're heading in the burbs, I would advise someone new to town to stick close to downtown or Oakland. Much of the "life" in the city is in the areas immediately surrounding downtown. There's plenty going on in the suburbs and towns to be sure, but I'm not sure those kinds of happens are all that different from locales from across the US.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 PM

9,918 posts, read 22,100,938 times
Would recommend staying closer. The way in from Carnegie is the worst for traffic anyway. Although, depending upon where you might be able to take a bus in. But I can't think of too many hotels out there, and the ones I can think of are not convenient to the West Busway. Cabs you're going to have to schedule out well in advance, etc, and they still aren't always reliable. Unless you're starting your cab trip a) at the airport or b) at a downtown hotel (both of which places will always have lines of cabs waiting) it's just difficult to recommend relying on them. IMO, anyway.

Stay closer. Honestly, cost-wise, you might have to take a fair number of cab trips before staying closer actually became cheaper. But in terms of overall experience I think it'll be better. If you can get a room at the Springhill Suites, you'll be as close as you can get to Heinz Field. Well, except by next year the Residence Inn over there may be open. That'll be the width of PNC Park closer. (Both hotels are next to PNC Park, one at one end, one at the other. Inside the park it's the third base side.) Either way, they'll be tailgating right outside, practically. Just head out there on Sunday and wander around. Look for "downtown" or "North Shore" or something like that in the hotel name, since each brand has 2 or more properties in the Pittsburgh area. If unsure of which one, just ask. There are other hotels downtown too, of course (across the river from the stadium), but they'll probably cost more.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:56 AM

2,424 posts, read 2,011,947 times
If driving, get one of those GPS devices, they work great.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:59 AM

43,012 posts, read 98,343,240 times
If you refuse to rent a car, you'll have to stay downtown to have easy access to taxi cabs.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 PM

thanks guys! I will snoop around for stuff closer to downtown. Appreciate the help!
*edit*
Ok I found a B&B in South side (Morning Glory) near Carson St. Walking distance to all kinds of night life from the look of it. Google earth rocks. =)
Just wondering about cab service, decent from there to downtown and Heinz.

Last edited by Quadmonkey; 11-01-2009 at 09:17 PM..

Old 11-01-2009, 09:12 PM

Not closer to downtown. You have to be IN downtown if you're not going to rent a car.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:21 PM

ack! Ok thanks for that pointer. In that case the downtown hotels are not much more than that South B&B.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:30 PM

I missed your post about the Southside B&B. If you're happy with mostly enjoying the nightlife of Southside, definitely stay there. But you'll have to wait for a cab to pick you up there. The cabs don't drive around Pittsburgh like in NYC. You'll have to call one and there's no guarantee when they will arrive. If you stay downtown, you can walk to Heize field. Hope in a cab and go to Southside. When the cab picks you up to take you back to your hotel isn't as big of a deal as hoping the cab will get you to the game on time.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:37 PM

Yeah good point, I will weigh my options. Thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh