Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Ok, I take your point about gaming needs, and that you were playing the ugly American for effect. But I still maintain that there are other ways to do things, and I am not convinced the American way is always the most cutting edge.
I'm not pleased with the American way. It's exhausting.

Quote:
I will agree that with all the hours we work, having something at home might be appealing.

How about you Tiger Beer?

Do you think the Japanese or Koreans work fewer hours and so are more likely to be out and about gaming on the town? I have no idea about this topic, but it is kind of interesting.
I should correct myself. It's longer hours compared to Western industrialized nations. Korea and Japan work more hours than the United States. I wonder if there is a difference in how many income earners per family though. Perhaps they work more hours, but maybe it's more common for one parent to always be home in Japan and Korea. Don't know. That would make a huge difference. (I recall that men in Japan often go out after work and socialize for many hours. I doubt they can do that if there isn't a wife home taking care of the children.) I'd love if Tiger could share some about the family structures in those countries for us!

Regardless, it is a very interesting subject if you've never looked at the statistics for how many hours/days Americans work compared to other countries. Our lifestyle is truly pathetic. The sad thing is that it's expected of us by employers. Many people are exempt from overtime. They're not working more hours because they're greedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 08:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Ok, I take your point about gaming needs, and that you were playing the ugly American for effect. But I still maintain that there are other ways to do things, and I am not convinced the American way is always the most cutting edge. I will agree that with all the hours we work, having something at home might be appealing.

How about you Tiger Beer?

Do you think the Japanese or Koreans work fewer hours and so are more likely to be out and about gaming on the town? I have no idea about this topic, but it is kind of interesting.
Koreans/Japanese....well, the husbands work ungodly hours...like 12-14 hour days everyday, and often on weekends as well.

Women are more likely housewives, more traditional culture here, although things are changing, and it really their choice. In Japan, the government pays familys income if a household has kids and the mother is home with them, just to encourage them NOT to be working fulltime - they can work up to 20 hours without losing those benefits. So you see a lot of mothers everywhere with their kids all day. My street has dozens and dozens of mothers hanging around with their kids buzzing by on bicyles or baseball gloves, etc.

In both Korea and Japan, and much like the U.S., the KIDS and COLLEGE STUDENTS are the ones spending and going out and having a great time. That and older adult males. There are always stories of people who basically 'live' at the internet cafes - they can use the computer 24 hours (most things are 24 hours here), they can use the shower, eat ramyen or snacks, etc. There is an 'internet cafe' culture that is really strong here. It's not that they are poor, it is just a lifestyle choice, etc. There are always stories of some generally college male student who missed all of his classes and was gaming for so many days straight, etc.

I don't know computer ownership statistics in Korea/Japan, but probably quite high, as people are very computer literate, tech savvy, etc. So just a choice, etc. Also, in Korea the internet is $1/hour, but there are often deals like $5 if you are here to 10 hours or whatever else. Many times, especially in Japan (where taxis are expensive), people will party late until after the trains stop running, and then just rent a computer for the night for $10 and sleep, shower, eat, etc. In Japan, the internet culture is you get your own cubicle, so you can lock the door and snooze away your Sunday morning or whatever - if you were out partying.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Koreans/Japanese....well, the husbands work ungodly hours...like 12-14 hour days everyday, and often on weekends as well....
..In Japan, the internet culture is you get your own cubicle, so you can lock the door and snooze away your Sunday morning or whatever - if you were out partying.
Sweet cheezus! That sounds unpleasant. But then, I am just a family man. Sounds like the guys are so tightly wound they need to blow off some steam, then wake up with a thumping hangover and do it all again. We are all hamsters on a wheel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh