Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 AM

362 posts, read 918,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My nephew moved to Pittsburgh with his wife in 2006. She is a native Coloradan. What she felt positive about Pgh: a great "sense of place" (her words", she loved Shadyside. Negatives: everyone has so much family that they weren't interested in making new friends, gloomy winter.
Winter in PA is beautiful. Granted there is not the stark-blue-sunny days of CO and other Rocky Mountain states but that goes with the territory and heavily wooded terrain of PA. I just don't see the word gloomy coming to mind, I see the word different.

As for folks not being interested in making new friends, that surprises me. That has not been my experience at all, actually the opposite has been true. I believe it takes two-to-tango and if a person is outgoing, genuine & engaging more times than not people will respond in kind.(I am not saying your relatives are not those things.)

Last edited by Heit; 11-06-2009 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 11:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
Winter in PA is beautiful. Granted there is not the stark-blue-sunny days of CO and other Rocky Mountain states but that goes with the territory and heavily wooded terrain of PA. I just don't see the word gloomy coming to mind, I see the word different.

As for folks not being interested in making new friends, that surprises me. That has not been my experience at all, actually the opposite has been true. I believe it takes two-to-tango and if a person is outgoing, genuine & engaging more times than not people will respond in kind.(I am not your relatives are not those things.)
My niece didn't say it was ugly. She had never experienced such a winter before. It was a change. And, to tell you the truth, I'll take a Colorado winter any day over Pittsburgh's.

As for the "takes two to tango" comment, they went out there with the most positive attitude. My niece in particular was glad to get a little farther away from her family. This issue has been discussed before. I do think it behooves the "oldtimers" to put out a welcome for the newcomers.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Quote:
My niece didn't say it was ugly. She had never experienced such a winter before. It was a change. And, to tell you the truth, I'll take a Colorado winter any day over Pittsburgh's.

As for the "takes two to tango" comment, they went out there with the most positive attitude. My niece in particular was glad to get a little farther away from her family. This issue has been discussed before. I do think it behooves the "oldtimers" to put out a welcome for the newcomers.
Are you sure Auntie had nothing bad to say about Pittsburgh to color their expectations?

I've never had anybody I've befriended here say "sorry, I'd hang out with you but I have to hang out with my extended family instead." By all means though, let's perpetuate C-D stereotypes. This website would cease to exist without them, after all.

FYI: Pittsburgh has lost half its population since 1950! It's also cloudy here (a LOT) and if you don't like football, you're pretty much screwed. Did I miss anything?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:

I NEVER said YOU said UGLY nor did I.

PA vs CO winters................to each their own.

Two-to-tango.......did you read what I said and notice the smiley face????

I assure you, I had NO intention of upsetting you. I believe my post made that perfectly clear.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 PM

FYI: Pittsburgh has lost half its population since 1950! It's also cloudy here (a LOT) and if you don't like football, you're pretty much screwed. Did I miss anything?[/quote]

It's all so simple really, no matter where you live.............it's what you make of it.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
FYI: Pittsburgh has lost half its population since 1950! It's also cloudy here (a LOT) and if you don't like football, you're pretty much screwed. Did I miss anything?
It's all so simple really, no matter where you live.............it's what you make of it.[/quote]

It's also possible to have left somewhere decades ago and still be consumed by it to the point of hanging around an internet forum and being relentlessly negative about said city. To each their own.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
It's all so simple really, no matter where you live.............it's what you make of it.
It's also possible to have left somewhere decades ago and still be consumed by it to the point of hanging around an internet forum and being relentlessly negative about said city. To each their own.[/quote]

True. You're not referring to me with your statement are you?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc
It's also possible to have left somewhere decades ago and still be consumed by it to the point of hanging around an internet forum and being relentlessly negative about said city. To each their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit
True. You're not referring to me with your statement are you?
No. No. No. Someone else. Someone who only has negative things to say about everything and anything.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
True. You're not referring to me with your statement are you?[/quote]

No, I just quoted your post as a jumping off point to vent.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:02 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:

)
It's only good when it's sunny out. Nothing worse than those gun metal gray days when the snow is piled up along side the roads. I spent a few weeks out in Wisconsin in the winter and no matter how much snow there was, at least it was a sunny day.

I tend to agree that winters around here are generally gloomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh