Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Sheraden residents: Are you subjected to the 3% city wage tax?
Yes they are. Sheraden is in the city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
I suppose it would be too much to ask the city to drop it to 1% for neighborhoods that still have a fighting chance and/or trying to make a comeback (Sheraden, East Liberty, Hill District)

Old 07-12-2010, 08:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
It probably would be.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 AM

142 posts, read 224,290 times
@ Section 8 Hate
----------

Alright, guys, this must just be a big city thing. Calling Section 8 "filth" I find offensive, because I used to live in one of those when I was a kid, and it was by far, one of the nicest housing and in one of the safest areas I have ever lived in. I moved out of Section 8 etc... back home and moved here to the nice area of squirrel hill. I mean, i dont consider myself trash or "filth", Im a CMU student. They put section 8s up for a reason, and I find that the one I lived in acted as a transitional home when the **** hit the fan for my parents.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,967 times
I think reducing the wage tax in economically distressed areas is a good idea to promote growth. Problem is, it would probably give the city and excuse to provide us with even fewer services, if that is even possible.

I don't hate section 8 residents, I'm sure most are decent people. I hate the landlords who rent the section 8 housing and let them become a an eyesore in the neighborhood.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:15 AM

The city government isnt the landlord for Section 8 in Pittsburgh?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 AM

The city owns all section 8 properties? Do they have final say on who rents a property? I always see ads for apartments stating "Section 8 OK". I thought the rental process was still the same, with landlords and tenants.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:24 AM

Best definition of Section 8 I could find via quick web search:

The Section 8 Federal Housing Assistance Program was instituted to help provide safe and sanitary housing for people that normally would not be able to afford it.

The Dept of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) pays all or a portion of the monthly rent directly to the landlord every month, depending on the tenants situation.

The property must be in a safe and sanitary condition (no chipped paint, windows open and close, furnace works etc...), and landlord must sign the Sect 8 lease.

Every year, at lease renewal, Sect 8 re-inspects the property. Landlord is given 30 days to correct any violations.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 AM

Housing cant be that bad then. I think the standards where Im from were more stringent though. The siding was brand new, carpeting wasnt allowed, housing was made JUST for section 8. There was 1 rent on each section for people who are disabled, etc etc. They looked like the homes on the waterfront(the ones next to the eat and park), just a little bigger. They also had free trash service.
Since carpeting wasnt allowed there was no stains, it came with a kitchen, working fridge, etc.

You applied for section 8 via the city government building, and they made you pay based on how much you made. I always assumed the city was the landlord.

For the record, they were the nicest places almost in the area. In fact, one of the reasons I moved to Pittsburgh was that some of the bad areas reminded me of home. ****ty reason, I know. My hometown had pretty much only rowhouses, and the walls werent fireproofed. You could buy a house for $8,000. It was kind of dumpy, but the area was "relatively" safe.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:59 PM

29 posts, read 78,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I have lived in Sheraden for three years now. I actually moved here from Squirrel Hill (I own a duplex there, my fiance owns a house here) and prefer it here. The neighbors are 100% friendlier and down to earth here. Most homes on my street are well maintained bungalows/Pittsburgh boxes. There are a few bad houses that create a lot of noise/problems on an otherwise quiet, working-class, multicultural street. The city seems perfectly content to let these nuisance houses (they are section 8) pollute an otherwise great neighborhood. Sure, some streets are worse than others (most crime is contained to a few bad streets) but all in all its a nice little neighborhood. Great commute, too (I can be to work in Lawrenceville in 15 minutes).

I've been in FAR worse neighborhoods in Pittsburgh. Sheraden has some potential if the city would just promote and not keep it hidden away in the west end.
There is a community meeting on the 27th of July at the Senior Center at 7:00. If you live in the community, please try to make it. We will be meeting with city officials and trying to address some of the issues in our community. We need all the support we can get. In numbers there is strength!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh