Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 69,044 times

Advertisements

My mother and I have looked at houses in both areas. I really seem to like the area as far as not being in the city, but still not in the middle of nowhere (I currently reside in WV). Does anyone have any advice on places to stay away from, or good places to look?

Any good websites to check out for community information and/or real estate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 12:44 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,812 times
If you travel up wildwood ave it turns into Verona rd( this is where Penn Hills starts). When you come to riverview dr make a right. Any where on Riverview, Riverside or Outlook dr, is a great area to live. I grew up on Outlook dr and my bro and son both live there. As far as Verona, I will leave that to someone else because it has changed a lot and I'm not sure whats good and bad. I understand Verona has a lot of section 8 homes.In PH, would stay away from anything on Rodi rd, Universal rd or west of Rodi rd toward Homewood.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:36 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
If you're livingin either area, consider traffic.
Verona has a traffic jam every day.

Penn Hills is a sneaky community; the school district is known for screwing new homeowners by getting their taxes increased. They mess around with the appraisals.

It's happened to three of my friends in the past 5 years.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:40 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
the school district is known for screwing new homeowners by getting their taxes increased. They mess around with the appraisals.

It's happened to three of my friends in the past 5 years.
What the school district does is simple, you buy a house for 75K, it's assessed at 50 K, they want it raised to market value, no matter what the county says.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:10 PM

141 posts, read 339,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyJ81 View Post
My mother and I have looked at houses in both areas. I really seem to like the area as far as not being in the city, but still not in the middle of nowhere (I currently reside in WV). Does anyone have any advice on places to stay away from, or good places to look?

Any good websites to check out for community information and/or real estate?

If you look at a map of Penn Hills, I would not buy a house west of Route 130. Route 130 is Beulah Road & Coal Hollow Road. The neighborhoods west of Route 130 are starting to turn into "transitional" buffer zones between the good parts of Penn Hills and Wilkinsburg & Homewood - which are dangerous neighborhoods. Like I said in a previous post - those neighborhoods aren't bad. They seem to have a higher concentration of crime and blight compared to the rest of Penn Hills. There has been a lot of code enforcement issues with junk cars, vacant houses, litter, etc. in this areas. The value of the homes in those areas is significantly less than the values of homes in other areas of Penn Hills. Many of those homes are rentals.

Neighborhoods to consider are:
Rosedale
Frankstown Estates
Crescent Hills
Jefferson Heights area
Penn Hills Park

I honestly don't know much about Verona at all. It was a fine neighborhood when I lived in Penn Hills, but I've read that the downtown Verona area is starting to get shady, but who knows. Verona is in the Penn Hills School District.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:23 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHillsNative80 View Post
Verona is in the Penn Hills School District.
Actually, Verona Borough is in the Riverview School District. There are a number of homes in the Penn Hills School District that have Verona mailing addresses, but they are not in Verona proper.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyJ81 View Post
If you like being close to the city but not being in the middle of nowhere, check out Shaler. It's a safe middle class suburban township near the city.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:50 AM

10 posts, read 22,782 times
Default Penn Hills/Verona

We have done numberous real estate closings in this area in the past few months. I would be more than happy to send you more information on the properties that are available there. I do agree with the "tax increase game" in the Penn Hills school district, but you are able to know ahead of time whether this will happen or not on each particular home......

Old 11-14-2009, 08:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,856 times
Verona is home to the coolest bike shop in the area.....Dirty Harry's.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 9,619 times
Default Riverside Drive in verona & other nice areas of Penn Hills

I currently reside in Churchill, and I purchased a home at 1516 Riverside Drive in Verona (off Verona Road) several months ago. I am renovating the home and plan on selling it next year (after getting out of short term capital gains treatment). That is an outstanding area. The neighbors are all very welcoming. They always stop over to talk to me when I'm working, and the homes are generally well maintained. I also would recommend the frankstown estates, blackridge and crescent hills areas of penn hills. Clearly stay west of state route 130.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh