Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:46 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Hey, an NPR interview about Californians moving to North Carolina!

Living the California Dream In North Carolina : NPR

Get this, it's titled "Living the California Dream In North Carolina"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 12:03 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hey, an NPR interview about Californians moving to North Carolina!

Living the California Dream In North Carolina : NPR

Get this, it's titled "Living the California Dream In North Carolina"...

Not a bad story. Just listened.

Of course, the family they had to interview was an investment banker and family living in a 6,000 sf home in Charlotte. Ugh..Californians are just... so...Californian!

Old 11-17-2009, 06:04 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Not a bad story. Just listened.

Of course, the family they had to interview was an investment banker and family living in a 6,000 sf home in Charlotte. Ugh..Californians are just... so...Californian!
I never understood the huge house thing...I'm only 24 and from a different demographic, but I honestly just want a loft or condo between 800-1,000 feet. Am I weird for not wanting a huge space to look after like everybody else?

Old 11-17-2009, 06:09 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I never understood the huge house thing...I'm only 24 and from a different demographic, but I honestly just want a loft or condo between 800-1,000 feet. Am I weird for not wanting a huge space to look after like everybody else?

My favorite all time place was a 700 sf basement apt in Mt. Lebo, of course I was young and single.
When you start living with more people, like say, wife and kids, you tend to want a little more room to get away!

Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I'm pretty much exactly the same way. Large houses always 'freaked me out'...I personally only use a very little bit of one.

But, like Copanut just mentioned, once you have a, well, KID in particular. My wife and I were fine in small places. But kids REALLY need space (and things).

During my entire single life, I could more or less carry anything and everything that had any importance to me. Things like TV, couch, chair, I've always felt were disposable. So, being light on owning things, meant immense mobility to make big moves, sense of freedom, etc.

Now that I'm married and with a kid, we just accumulate stuff - especially kids things. I still almost never buy anything for myself, but kids really require a rich learning environment, etc., so my spartan living doesn't fly anymore.

That being said, I still wouldn't personally want a lot of space - just more stuff to watch, worry about, fill up, etc. That being said, the photo of that house with all the windows was pretty cool...

Old 11-17-2009, 07:00 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
As everyone else is noting, space with a kid is a nice luxury. I also personally like a little variety of space in my home, but that is a personal preference.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I do think it's interesting that a lot of people say they could never live in the city with a family because the houses are so small. You look at all these older, smaller homes and realize dozens of families have probably lived there and raised children just fine. Not being cramped is good, but we 21st century folk have so much stuff and crap that our forebears did without.

My house in Beechview is about 1000 sq ft. The bedrooms are 10 x 10, and I had a hell of a time finding a couch to fit in my living room that wasn't gargantuanly McMansion-sized. I love it, though.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I do think it's interesting that a lot of people say they could never live in the city with a family because the houses are so small. You look at all these older, smaller homes and realize dozens of families have probably lived there and raised children just fine. Not being cramped is good, but we 21st century folk have so much stuff and crap that our forebears did without.

My house in Beechview is about 1000 sq ft. The bedrooms are 10 x 10, and I had a hell of a time finding a couch to fit in my living room that wasn't gargantuanly McMansion-sized. I love it, though.
Even older suburban homes are smaller than what is being built today. Most older suburban homes, particularly pre-1970 or so, have just one bathroom, or they have a full bath and a little "powder room" (sink and commode), unless someone added another one at some time. Many of these older homes have just a one-car garage as well, as most families only had one car at the time.

1000 sq. feet is probably fine for one person, or even two. It's when you get a couple of kids in the house that 1000 sq. ft. doesn't seem like a lot. For four people to each have 1000 sq. feet would require a 4000 sq. ft. house.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
What's amazing is the number of children that were raised in those smaller old houses in the past.

My husband was raised in a very small three bedroom home. He had 5 brothers and sisters. There was a boys room and a girl's room.

His mother was raised in a two bedroom house with 7 brothers and sisters. The attic was the boy's room.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:46 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Whereas nowadays some people find the idea of children sharing a bedroom/bathroom appalling. Heck, back in the day the kids all slept in the same bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh