Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Funny, that's the way they do it in NYC too (weekend house out of town), even though NYC is the effing greatest place in the world.
Only people who think NY is the effing greatest are the people who don't live here, and dont make high 6 figure incomes.

The "AWE" usually wears off after 3 years, when have to pay small fortunes for small places really starts to hit home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 09:29 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Only people who think NY is the effing greatest are the people who don't live here, and dont make high 6 figure incomes.

The "AWE" usually wears off after 3 years, when have to pay small fortunes for small places really starts to hit home.
Eh, the people I know personally live in the city during the week and go to that house in the Hudson Valley on weekends. They seem to think NY is the above all place. So I guess it doesn't wear off for everyone. Obviously they make enough income not to have to worry too much about that aspect. I believe their city residence is a rental, and it's a 1BR although a largeish one. Nothing ostentatious but they're obviously comfortable.

So they leave every weekend, and travel a fair bit, but they still think NY is The Place To Be. As far as I've been able to ascertain, this is not particularly uncommon assuming you have the income for it. Although I suspect the ultimate result someday will be that they live full time in the Hudson Valley house, not the city. So I guess in that respect it wears off, but it takes a while, and even then it's, I dunno, less than 2 hour drive I guess.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 AM

666 posts, read 1,843,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
I didn't say jobs. I said job. I am actually considering finding a weekend vacation home because I hate it here so much.
When I lived in Pittsburgh I also had a fantastic job. Wow....what are the chances that the only two people to every have good jobs in Pittsburgh would be posting on the same forum?

A city is what you make of it. I've lived in Chicago, NYC, Pittsburgh, LA, and now Portland. Every one of those cities has problems, but they also have great things to offer. Its unfortunate that you either haven't looked hard enough or have such a bad attitude that you can't see them in Pittsburgh. They are there, I can assure you.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Eh, the people I know personally live in the city during the week and go to that house in the Hudson Valley on weekends. They seem to think NY is the above all place. So I guess it doesn't wear off for everyone. Obviously they make enough income not to have to worry too much about that aspect.
Like I said originally - High figure incomes (120k or more) will fit right in NY as the can mostly afford everything that makes NY great...

But if your making anything less than (120k) again the AWE of NY will wear off after 3 years, I willing to bet anyone....

Trust me no-one is Carrie Bradshaw in NYC.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
When I lived in Pittsburgh I also had a fantastic job. Wow....what are the chances that the only two people to every have good jobs in Pittsburgh would be posting on the same forum?
I think it's amusing that employment is what keeps many Pittsburgh haters in Pittsburgh.

They complain about the economy, that Pittsburgh is going downhill.

The fact they cant' find a job elsewhere should be a big clue to them.

Either the economy is good here or their not marketable in a more competitive job market.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:06 AM

323 posts, read 835,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post

A city is what you make of it. I've lived in Chicago, NYC, Pittsburgh, LA, and now Portland. Every one of those cities has problems, but they also have great things to offer. Its unfortunate that you either haven't looked hard enough or have such a bad attitude that you can't see them in Pittsburgh. They are there, I can assure you.
I have lived in large cities. This isn't based on a "bad attitude". Pittsburgh isn't a good place to live, period. It is depressing to think about what I am missing here compared to the other cities. There is no comparison.

The major difference between Pittsburgh and other cities is that the other cities may have problems and bad parts of town but they also have amazing areas. Pittsburgh is bad throughout with tons of problems.

Last edited by bethany12; 12-02-2009 at 11:21 AM..

Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
I have lived in large cities. This isn't based on a "bad attitude". Pittsburgh isn't a good place to live, period. It is depressing to think about what I am missing here compared to the other cities. There is no comparison.
That isn't really much help, and there are a lot of people that seem to disagree with you... I think we'd like to find out exactly why you despise it here so much, but I guess that will never come. Oh well. Life goes on.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Darn shame Bethany can't find a fantastic job in another city. I guess Pittsburgh is the only city with fantastic jobs.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:32 AM

632 posts, read 1,739,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think it's amusing that employment is what keeps many Pittsburgh haters in Pittsburgh.

They complain about the economy, that Pittsburgh is going downhill.

The fact they cant' find a job elsewhere should be a big clue to them.

Either the economy is good here or their not marketable in a more competitive job market.
I was just thinking this exact thing, Hopes!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Darn shame Bethany can't find a fantastic job in another city. I guess Pittsburgh is the only city with fantastic jobs.
I followed the link you inadvertently created. Apparently there's a Bethany, PA. Sounds ideal for our little friend. I bet they don't even have a bus system.

Edit: I guess the links only show up to non-members, as I was signed out when I saw it and then it disappeared after I signed in and posted. I thought I was crazy for a second, but there is indeed a Bethany, PA. Maybe a fantastic job is waiting there, perhaps even mayor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh