Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 02:27 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,501,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Nothing like wasting $80 million on dying towns. I had relatives in this weekend (that own cars and drove in to Pittsburgh). They were shocked at the condition of the area. I laughed when they asked me how it is that Pittsburgh lands on national top 10 lists routinely and it looks so run down. They suggested that we use the money to fix the road system first. I laughed again and told them it wasn't going to happen.

Maybe you should ride back home with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 08:26 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,705,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Don't feed the you know whats. I know, I'm one to talk, but I'm trying to turn over a new leaf.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,870,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
...but I'm trying to turn over a new leaf.
We all could benefit from doing that now and then!

Old 11-29-2009, 06:49 AM

323 posts, read 833,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Maybe the haters should try to come up with realistic ways to improve the city instead of going along with the same old rust belt union mentality of pushing money into worthless projects.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:56 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,501,551 times
Somehow, Ms. B-12, I think if Pgh became the next great city with thousands of people and jobs moving in, you still wouldn't be happy.

I won't argue about the union mentality, but I believe that only exists in the city proper, those of us in the 'burbs tend to realize there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:26 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,616,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Maybe the haters should try to come up with realistic ways to improve the city instead of going along with the same old rust belt union mentality of pushing money into worthless projects.
OK, so then what realistic ways do you have?

Old 11-29-2009, 07:48 AM

323 posts, read 833,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Don't put any money into the bus system. Use the $80 million to improve the existing infrastructure of Pittsburgh ONLY in areas where there is growth. The outlying areas of Allegheny County could really use the money. Because of the growth in population, some of the roads are like parking lots during peak hours.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post

Have a brief (albeit unscientific) IQ test before joining City-Data (or anywhere else one can post one's opinions). Double digit= no membership. Wait, this is about the bus system. Sorry.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:08 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,955,414 times
Trying to relieve congestion in outlying growth areas with more road-building has failed over and over again in many cities. The basic problem is that it just induces new building right next to whatever road you build, and a little while later everything is congested again.

Meanwhile, investment in rapid transit in the right corridors has in fact worked to stimulate high-value development in many cities. Ironically, this is something post-industrial cities have recently NOT been trying, in part because recently federal funding for road-building has been much easier to get than federal funding for transit.

So bethany12 is actually doing the opposite of what she suggested: she is actually promoting the continuance of the policies that have recently failed post-industrial cities, instead of looking to new ideas that have proven successful elsewhere. And there is nothing "realistic" about insisting on continuing failed policies.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 AM

Using logic to battle illogic is as hopeless and nonsensical as widening roads to battle congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh