Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 08:55 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If high school is an experiment, it's one that has been going on for a long time. I don't really think the concept is experimental any more. Compulsory education laws were passed in the 1930s. Many people of my parents' generation (born ~ 1920, give or take a few years), were the first ones in their families to graduate from HS. It is precisely because "the ability to gauge risks and the consequences of their actions and to differentiate the superficial from the important" is not well developed that they belong in school and not out in the workforce trying to support themselves, and being responsible for others, e.g. in health care, to name just one example. If you ever spent much time in a US high school, you would see that teens are not setting the behavior standards, etc.
A long-term experiment is still an experiment, and I do not agree that kids do not set the mores of a high school. In the old days, kids did not expect a car at 16, and their own room, they expect a lot now and early. And yes, I went to an American high school myself, I speak from experience. I agree that they should not be treated as adults, just pondering whether youth culture has been given a bit too much free rein. I am no Puritan, nor antiyouth, nor antiprogress, just pondering educational alternatives and whether the current one is best.

I'll blame Tiger Beer, because of his emphatic stand that he will never educate American youths, but gladly does so in Japan. Why are our kids so much more challenging? I can only share that by serving as a substitute teacher two years from kindergarten to 12th grade physics, I saw a bunch of patterns (at least in how they treat subs). Girls, usually easier than boys, rich kids,schools easier than poorer schools, anglo boys much more contrary and downright mean than hispanic boys, etc. I am assuming a good number of those difference reflect their home lives, expectations more than the teachers. However, by giving kids a stage to play on for attention, drama often ensues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 09:54 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
so apparently both philly (10) and pitt (8) are better metro areas to get a job than Denver
Quote:
Below are the 10 best and worst cities to find a managerial job, based on online job postings and the scoring applied by CareerCast and JobSerf:
The Top 10:

• Washington, D.C.
  • Boston
  • San Francisco
  • Seattle
  • Atlanta
  • Baltimore
  • New York
  • Pittsburgh
  • Chicago
  • Philadelphia
Pittsburgh among top cities to find a job - Pittsburgh Business Times:

Old 12-01-2009, 09:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
so apparently both philly (10) and pitt (8) are better metro areas to get a job than Denver
[/list]Pittsburgh among top cities to find a job - Pittsburgh Business Times:
Nice. Pittsburgh is running with the big dogs. It's the smallest city on the list.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
[/list]Pittsburgh among top cities to find a job - Pittsburgh Business Times:
The unemployment rates do not show that. Denver's is lower.

Metro Denver Business Economy & Economic Summary Archive

Denver is 77, Pittsburgh is 119. I think actual numbers, rather than "lists" based on all sorts of criteria having little to do with actually having a job, give a better picture.

Here is the criteria used in the link:

The index, by online human resources researchers CareerCast.com and JobSerf, measures U.S. managerial recruitment activity. Pittsburgh, Boston and Atlanta and were tops in year-over-year growth in online job postings, according to the report.

So Pittsburgh's online job postings increased, but there is nothing comparing the total number of on-line postings. And that is just one source for jobs.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Pittsburgh also sticks out regionally, since the bottom 10 includes a lot of cities traditionally viewed as Midwest peers of Pittsburgh:

Quote:
The Bottom 10:

Riverside, Calif.
Detroit
Memphis
Tampa Bay
Miami
Cincinnati
Louisville
Phoenix
St. Louis
Minneapolis
Of course Chicago is on the Top 10 list too, and I think it is interesting to think about what Chicago and Pittsburgh might share in common despite their very different scales. Consistent with my prior musings on this topic, I am inclined to suggest that just as Chicago is the de facto capital city of the Great Lakes region, so is Pittsburgh the de facto capital city of the (admittedly smaller) Northeast Highland region, and that translates into things like more managerial jobs being created.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I know we have a difficult time finding qualified people who live in Pittsburgh for openings at our company. This is a common problem for many Pittsburgh companies.

It also explains a difference between advertised jobs and unemployment rate. Pittsburgh companies look outside of the region for employees in various fields.

And we've learned that unemployment rate alone doesn't tell the whole story about a city's economy. There are many other factors like foreclosure rates, etc.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:10 PM

16 posts, read 36,915 times
Denver is an amazing place to live, not to mention beautiful! But the cost of living is expensive and if you want to live there you need to have some money or a nice job.
Pittsburgh is a great city, lot's to do and see, and great people. Does rain alot and can get very cold and snow in the winter. But it is affordable.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:18 PM

be that as it may katiana, it's reason enough not to move to denver on the availability of jobs aspect alone.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
be that as it may katiana, it's reason enough not to move to denver on the availability of jobs aspect alone.
The OP, Bench Warmer, checked with the union, I believe IBEW, in Denver and in Pittsburgh. In Denver, he was told he could get work. In Pittsburgh, last we knew, he hadn't even heard back.

The link from the Pittsburgh Business Times discusses the increase in online postings for managerial jobs. It doesn't say what the denominators were in any of these cities. For example (and I am just making up these numbers for illustration purposes, they are NOT, I repeat NOT real, lest someone tries to make a point with my numbers). I'll repeat that again, the numbers aren't real, they are for purposes of illustration.

Suppose Pittsburgh had 100 postings for managerial jobs a year ago at this time. Now they have 150. That is an increase of 50%. Now, suppose Denver had 200 listings, and now has 250. That is an increase of only 25%. It looks worse. But Denver still has more jobs. For the number to be meaningful, you need to know how many more jobs are being discussed. An increase from 1 to 2 is 100%. That's why these lists all have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-01-2009 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 PM

all numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt
Quote:
Metro Denver’s unemployment rate fell from 6.9 percent in September to 6.6 percent in October. While positive on the surface, the decline mostly reflects an unfavorable trend: the count of Metro Denver’s unemployed is falling more rapidly than employment is increasing, which suggests that a considerable number of the jobless are abandoning their searches before finding work. The region’s unemployment rate could remain flat or even increase as labor markets improve, because many of those who left the labor force will resume a job search and will therefore be counted as unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh