Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:52 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Lamar Advertising Inc. is poised to buy the historic St. Nicholas Church property in Troy Hill. The Diocese of Pittsburgh yesterday announced a sales agreement with the billboard advertising firm.

Read more: Lamar plans to buy historic St. Nicholas Church in Troy Hill
I feel like the church should be preserved, but it's in such a terrible, terrible location. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:03 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
It is already a city historic landmark and should definitely be preserved. It will be interesting to see the plan referenced in the article for an immigration museum.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
If they want to preserve it, they need to move it. PennDot has been buying up all of the property alone Route 28 to make the highway wider. It's silly to build the highway around it--above it---below it. Look at that isolated church on route 279. I don't think many people attend that church. Few people attended St. Nicholas either.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:28 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,670,954 times
i don't know what kind of congregation they had, but the maxo vanko murals inside got a lot of visitors.

can you still go there now, or is it closed up?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 AM

It has looked closed for a few years. I never see any cars in the parking lot. Prior to the big push by the congregation to save the church, a random car there on occassion.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:49 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
The Maxo Vanko murals were not in the St. Nicholas Church on the North side - they have always been and still are in St. Nicholas Croatian Church in Millvale, and the murals do get a lot of visitors. I think if the murals had been in the North Side Church, there would have been a much greater protest. So they are alive and well in Millvale.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
The Maxo Vanko murals were not in the St. Nicholas Church on the North side - they have always been and still are in St. Nicholas Croatian Church in Millvale, and the murals do get a lot of visitors. I think if the murals had been in the North Side Church, there would have been a much greater protest. So they are alive and well in Millvale.
My sister loves the Millvale church because she likes masses on the morbid side. Are the murals morbid too?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM

I don't think they can really move it, since the site also includes a grotto built into the hill (hopefully this Street View image captures it):

st nicholas church pittsburgh - Google Maps

Anyway, according to the article, PennDOT has already made its peace with the church:

Quote:
PennDOT was planning to demolish it for road expansion but changed its design last year after neighborhood residents, preservation groups and former congregants raised an uproar.
Meanwhile, the proposed alternative plan would be to connect an immigration museum by trail to the North Shore trail system. I'd like to see the plan before reaching a final judgment, but that sounds plausible to me.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Anyway, according to the article, PennDOT has already made its peace with the church:
Think about it! It's outrageous! PennDot changed development plans and the Diocese turns around and sells the church to a billboard company!

The congregation protested against PennDot. Will they now protest against the Catholic Church?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Think about it! It's outrageous! PennDot changed development plans and the Diocese turns around and sells the church to a billboard company!

The congregation protested against PennDot. Will they now protest against the Catholic Church?
As I understand it, it was really preservationists and residents who protested demolition, and the Diocese was actually fine with PennDOT's demolition plan since they wanted to stop paying upkeep on a closed church. When that fell through, they apparently found someone to buy it, and don't particularly care if the buyer demolishes it. So their actions are consistent, just not aligned with the people who would like to see the church saved from demolition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh