Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times

Advertisements

A big influx of illegals is NOT good for an economy. Small business contractors replace American workers with lower paid illegals, keep the prices of services the same and funnel the extra money to themselves. All the money ends up at the top. The displaced Americans sit home watching TV and applying for disability while their wives go to work. Everyone else pays for the welfare benefits the illegals receive while the contractors get rich.

If your dream is to remake America into a south american banana republic, strive for more illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 04:34 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Economic studies have frequently identified the net benefits of immigration, particularly immigration for economic reasons. Which makes sense--if you are migrating for economic reasons, typically you have a reasonable plan in mind for how you are going to do something economically productive in your new location. And in fact the sort of person who would follow that path is likely to be less risk-averse than average, which also helps explain why immigrants tend to have relatively high rates of entrepreneurship. Immigrants also may bring with them new ideas, may have access to new sources of capital, and so forth.

Usually people who assume otherwise are committing some version of the lump of labor fallacy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lump_of_labour_fallacy

On the other hand, I agree that illegal immigration specifically can lead to certain specific problems, including undercompensation, abusive workplaces, and so on. So one logical solution to many of the problems associated with illegal immigration, which would nonetheless preserve the economic benefits of immigration in general, is to make it a lot easier to immigrate legally.

Last edited by BrianTH; 08-30-2012 at 05:47 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 AM

799 posts, read 1,290,014 times
Any migration, illegal or legal, is economically positive.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:20 AM

I've lived in an area that had a big influx of illegals. What I documented is what happened. If you haven't lived it, you don't know.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:44 AM

799 posts, read 1,290,014 times
I've lived it. I've studied it. A big influx of people, even if all of them are native born, can displace workers and depress wages. The math is pretty simple: 10 people for 1 job is a problem. Illegal has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:00 AM

So how exactly do you conflate displaced workers and depressed wages into 'economically positive'?

If you lived it, you observed that welfare costs, such as healthcare, are socialized, while the profits are privatized by a small number of people benefitting from the lower labor costs of their employees. That translates into higher taxes and fewer jobs for legal American residents.

It results in a diminished middle class.

Just because you WISH that was a positive doesn't make it so.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:07 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Of course depending on the scenario, an illegal immigrant may be paying into public insurance programs without being able to collect benefits, precisely because of their illegal status. Generally, our public insurance programs typically benefit by adding healthy, non-old workers to the population mix.

However, to the extent the problem is that illegal immigrants reduce the relative bargaining power of labor, again the logical solution is to make less of them illegal.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
At a minimum a lack of international immigration is a red flag for population growth, because the native-born U.S. population is not self-sustaining.

There is also a good case to be made that overall, international immigration is good for economic development.

None of this is specific to any given country of origin, but I do think increasing percentages of foreign-born will go hand-in-hand with Pittsburgh's continued re-emergence as an economic development leader.
I will agree that educated immigrants can add be good for economic development, but not uneducated immigrants. Uneducated immigrants drive down wages for local low level workers. I think the booms and busts we've seen elsewhere is proof that high population influxes hurt economies in the long term. Pittsburgh's metro economy is relatively stable because our population growth is stable.

QUOTE=BrianTH;25855510]For the reasons discussed above, to the extent Pittsburgh's Hispanic-heritage population grows in coming decades, I suspect it will mostly NOT be through illegal immigration, and in fact will be dominated by native-born U.S. citizens.[/quote]
Well, native born US citizens aren't immigrants. They are Americans, which makes them irrelevant to this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
Any migration, illegal or legal, is economically positive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
I've lived it. I've studied it. A big influx of people, even if all of them are native born, can displace workers and depress wages. The math is pretty simple: 10 people for 1 job is a problem. Illegal has nothing to do with it.
Care to contradict yourself again within two immediate posts? There's nothing positive about depressed wages and displaced workers!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
However, to the extent the problem is that illegal immigrants reduce the relative bargaining power of labor, again the logical solution is to make less of them illegal.
It doesn't matter if they are legal or illegal. Uneducated immigrants drive down wages because they are willing to work for less money.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 AM

There's nothing preventing Congress from passing legislation to increase the number of legal immigrants, Brianth. Except for their chances of reelection afterwards, of course.

What the majority of the electorate wants is enforcement of the immigration laws and a stable and small number of legal immigrants coming into the country. This is not unreasonable. It existed in America from 1925-1980.

But if you get your wish and there's a large influx of illegals into Pittsburgh, I'm hopping on the profit train this time, and keeping their wages for myself while allocating their welfare costs to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh