Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I agree about the ubiquitousness of streets like that, but I still find them somewhat remarkable. I go home to Richmond, VA, which I never thought of as all that flat, and it looks like the flattest parts of the Midwest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As a non-native of Pittsburgh, I agree. We didn't have anything like that in the Detroit area--we had small rivers and lakes and low hills here or there, but no ravines so steep and neighborhoods so discrete.
There are some ravines in O'Hara and Indiana townships that are almost too secluded.

It's downright frightening to drive down a quarter of a mile dirt ravine road to find ONE lone old house at the end of the ravine.

I expected someone to come outside with a shotgun.

How do I know this? THAT'S what teenagers do when they get a driver's license!

It's amazing how rural many areas within Allegheny county can be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
god...haven't thought about Big Jim's in years... I fondly recall getting the house red wine in 18 oz. tumblers Classy? Not so much, but good sandwiches and a real Pittsburgh atmosphere.
It's changed hands over the years and from what I hear the food quality has gone down. Back when I worked in Oakland that was a good little bar for a Friday 2 hour lunch. It's definitely a slice of Pittsburgh.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
It's changed hands over the years and from what I hear the food quality has gone down. Back when I worked in Oakland that was a good little bar for a Friday 2 hour lunch. It's definitely a slice of Pittsburgh.
I dunno. I've seen recent remarks from someone whose food opinions I respect, and he thought it was good as a sandwich place and real local flavor. Before that I'd never heard of it, and I've lived in the Pittsburgh area longer than he has! I still haven't been there, but Big Jim's sounds like a place to send visitors looking for a local joint and have them skip the whole Primanti's hype which is practically a tourist trap in some ways (although it's true plenty of locals still frequent it).

Old 12-04-2009, 07:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I agree about the ubiquitousness of streets like that, but I still find them somewhat remarkable. I go home to Richmond, VA, which I never thought of as all that flat, and it looks like the flattest parts of the Midwest.
When I view almost any other city in the U.S. on google maps...they look incredibly boring. I was thinking of it today, the character of the hills and the narrow tall buildings found in Pittsburgh, just add to that feel or character of the place.

I also find it funny the term 'flatlanders' that I've been reading about on other message boards. I think it VT and WV that I've seen that term... 'we've got flatlanders coming in'...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh