Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:53 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Check out this street...

Naylor Street, Pittsburgh, PA - Google Maps

There are more than a few really interesting things I like about it - one surrounded by mountains, YET some density to the housing...winding roads also cool....and lush green everywhere around it...YET on top of all this...it is still right in the middle of the city of Pittsburgh.

Unbelievable!

I'm equally inquisitive...do Pittsburghers even know this street exists? How many people have been there? If so, I'm also starting to think that scenic hilly places are SO common in Pittsburgh, I don't think natives even really see anything of interest there.

Final thought on it...are streets like this very common? Any other city streets kind of similar that someone can think of off-hand, or are they just too common to mention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
The area sits under the bridge along the Parkway East known as The Run.

Been there lots of times at Big Jim's.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:07 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
there are really a lot of streets like that.

if you head down hazelwood ave from greenfield there are a lot of streets like that to your left. some are in greenfield, some are in hazelwood, i think.

polish hill also kinda looks like that in parts, on and around bethoven st.

the run is kind of a funny place - it's its own little neighborhood kinda, but there's only one way in or out. there are other streets like that around there - to the east up in the hills in greenfield and to the west in southeast oakland. there are also areas like that in the south side slopes. really, the geography of this area lends itself to weird little windy hilly streets surrounded by swathes of green like that.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Streets like that are very common throughout the city and even the county in older townships.

The only downside to living in a ravine is lack of sunshine and risk of flooding if there is a creek in the ravine.

However, those two negatives can make for a very cool air during hot humid summers.

Some roads just feel so refreshing when it's hot outside because they don't get sunshine and there's a stream running through the valley.

It just depends on what's most important to each individual.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Yep, little mini-neigborhoods tucked into the various valleys and ravines (aka runs) are quite common, so most locals probably don't think there is anything remarkable about a street like that.

By the way, one of my favorite variants on this theme is the little neighborhood sometimes known as Duck Hollow, on a little delta peninsula where Nine Mile Run empties into the Mon:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...59.972491&z=15

You really have to stroll around in Street View a bit to get the full picture. Anyway, after spending some time in Central PA, it really feels to me like someone picked up a little chunk of Central PA and plopped it into this obscure corner in the middle of the City.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:08 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yep, little mini-neigborhoods tucked into the various valleys and ravines (aka runs) are quite common, so most locals probably don't think there is anything remarkable about a street like that.

By the way, one of my favorite variants on this theme is the little neighborhood sometimes known as Duck Hollow, on a little delta peninsula where Nine Mile Run empties into the Mon:

pittsburgh, pa - Google Maps

You really have to stroll around in Street View a bit to get the full picture. Anyway, after spending some time in Central PA, it really feels to me like someone picked up a little chunk of Central PA and plopped it into this obscure corner in the middle of the City.

I agree about the ubiquitousness of streets like that, but I still find them somewhat remarkable. I go home to Richmond, VA, which I never thought of as all that flat, and it looks like the flattest parts of the Midwest.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I agree about the ubiquitousness of streets like that, but I still find them somewhat remarkable. I go home to Richmond, VA, which I never thought of as all that flat, and it looks like the flattest parts of the Midwest.
As a non-native of Pittsburgh, I agree. We didn't have anything like that in the Detroit area--we had small rivers and lakes and low hills here or there, but no ravines so steep and neighborhoods so discrete.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i love duck hollow! my husband and i looked at a house down there, but we weren't really at a point when we were serious about buying. the "KKK" graffiti as you go under the railroad bridge is a little disconcerting though. and although the neighborhood itself is secluded and would make a great compound for a group of likeminded people, there's not much space between the houses or privacy. another micro-neighborhood with only one way in or out!

if the mon-fayette expressway is ever built it'll obliterate duck hollow though.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:52 PM

226 posts, read 588,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
The area sits under the bridge along the Parkway East known as The Run.

Been there lots of times at Big Jim's.
god...haven't thought about Big Jim's in years... I fondly recall getting the house red wine in 18 oz. tumblers Classy? Not so much, but good sandwiches and a real Pittsburgh atmosphere.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
I love following Route 885 through Hazlewood in to West Mifflin. There's a city neighborhood right on the border (can't remember the name) and you would definitely think you are way out in a mountainous community. There is also a very large nature preserve in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh