Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbutrfly View Post
Well, I'm glad you all enjoy the cold weather, but I'm a CA native and still haven't learned to like PA winters.
I don't know if any of us necessarily "enjoy" the cold weather, it's just a part of living around here. My attitude is I have to exercise no matter what, so I just make the best of it.

Getting ready to go out and run in 100mph winds >>>>>>>>>>>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 12:05 PM

248 posts, read 326,342 times
Digging up an old thread to see if anyone has new recommendations for indoor running tracks since this is a few years old. I don't mind travelling a bit but currently live in Highland Park.

The Homewood YMCA has one but I'd be a little hesitant to head over there for a late night run.

What are my chances of walking into the Pitt Field House to use theirs?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:25 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times
The JCC in Squirrel Hill has an indoor track on the balcony above the basketball courts.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Club One has a track if memory serves. I like the JCC one.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:46 PM

632 posts, read 1,070,883 times
Become a mall walker.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:31 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
The JCC in Squirrel Hill has an indoor track on the balcony above the basketball courts.
So does the Northside YMCA. I find it a little scary though because the railing is fairly low and I'm pretty tall and pretty clumsy. I just stick to the treadmills.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:13 AM

606 posts, read 943,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
What are my chances of walking into the Pitt Field House to use theirs?
Technically it's only allowed if you're faculty/staff/student, but I don't remember anyone checking for IDs to use the track the few times I've been there. (With a very big caveat -- I have not used that facility since before the bomb threats, and security has noticeably stepped up since that time in the buildings I use a lot on campus.) Hours are here.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:02 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
those rare moments i take time to exercise indoors, i just do aerobics in front of my TV. no stress on the knees, and MUCH less time than running - using the arms, torso, and bum muscles to twist! kick! twist! squat! twist! kick! twist! squat! *repeat*

just an option if you dont want to make it out for a run somewhere. in 15 minutes, i think ive gotten as much benefit as i would from 30 minutes of running, and you can alternate the repetitive motions during the session.

(shades are drawn during this escapade).

Old 01-21-2014, 08:16 AM

248 posts, read 326,342 times
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I'm hesitant to drop $50+ per month on a gym membership when I would really just be using the track but I may end up doing that anyway. I'd never seen elevated tracks before like the one at the JCC. Here's the one at the PAA:

Pittsburgh Athletic Association*View Library Document: Walking & Running

Pretty neat.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:43 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I'm hesitant to drop $50+ per month on a gym membership when I would really just be using the track but I may end up doing that anyway. I'd never seen elevated tracks before like the one at the JCC. Here's the one at the PAA:

Pittsburgh Athletic Association*View Library Document: Walking & Running

Pretty neat.
I belong to the Thelma Lovette YMCA on Center Ave. The facility isn't even two years old and it has an indoor track, lots of treadmills and other equipment, as well as a huge pool. I pay $30 a month for an individual membership. I usually go at lunch time and it's never crowded. I hear that it's busier before and after work, but I've never been there at those times. Thelma Lovette YMCA | YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh

I was paying $45 a month at a much smaller Y in SF and often had to wait to get in the pool because it was filled to capacity and the lifeguards wouldn't let you in until someone got out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh